What's new

Best custom firmware for WRT AC1900?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mercador

Occasional Visitor
Hello, I got more and more issues with my router, it's an old WRT 1900 AC and before ditching it for a new router, I would like to try DDWRT or OpenWRT on it, custom firmwares save quite a few routers in my past so it's the last resort. Though, I don't know which custom firmware would be best for that router, any ideas? Or should I just skip that and go purchase an ASUS Wireless AX5700 or wait for Wifi7? Thanks!

Try both perhaps and see what works better for you? I personally would try OpenWrt first.

If you want to save time a new router will be the obvious choice. Linksys WRT1900AC is a 2014 model device.

Last edited:
Try both perhaps and see what works better for you? I personally would try OpenWrt first.

If you want to save time a new router will be the obvious choice. Linksys WRT1900AC is a 2014 model device.
Yeah, it was a good router, as good as my old WRT54G back in the old days. I got issues since I have a Pixel 6 and now that I have a car that required wifi to update itself, spotty 2.4ghz wifi won't do anymore.

I'll try both firmwares to see if it fix my issues otherwise I'll just get the best one I can get since I almost never change.

If you can afford a car updating itself over Wi-Fi I believe a new router for few hundred bucks is not a problem.

Popular Asus models around are RT-AX86U Pro, RT-AX88U Pro, GT-AX6000. Too early for Wi-Fi 7 products in my opinion.

I would go with OpenWRT first, as it has a reliable development/release schedule, while DD-WRT is always a roll of the die whether a specific build will be stable or not.

The label at the bottom. No version - most likely V1.

Also:

1718557842671.png

I don't have this router, this is the information provided on OpenWrt page:

1718565159811.png

You may need to research what exactly model is your router and go from there.

View attachment 59503

One has to use the specific version for the hardware as Linksys moved some of the calibration items around.

Also note that V1 has a different CPU compared to the V2

I would go with OpenWRT first, as it has a reliable development/release schedule, while DD-WRT is always a roll of the die whether a specific build will be stable or not.

DD-WRT and Linksys had some kind of agreement in place after OpenWRT rejected the Linksys commits.

Kong used to maintain a DD-WRT fork, but due to personal issues...

OpenWRT - for routing, the Big WRT's are good, but there are still ongoing issues with WiFi drivers, and now that Marvell no longer supports the WiFi chips, it'll likely never be resolved...

View attachment 59503

Found elsewhere, for posterity of the topic

Check the serial number: XXX10XXXXXXXXX is version 1 (or a "20" if you have version 2)

Version 1 is indeed "mamba", v2 is "cobra".

I have V1 Mamba so I'll know which firmware I must take.

DD-WRT and Linksys had some kind of agreement in place after OpenWRT rejected the Linksys commits.

Kong used to maintain a DD-WRT fork, but due to personal issues...

OpenWRT - for routing, the Big WRT's are good, but there are still ongoing issues with WiFi drivers, and now that Marvell no longer supports the WiFi chips, it'll likely never be resolved...
Should I simply stop trying install a custom firmware and go directly for a new one?

I personally will go directly for a new router. One of the popular Wi-Fi 6 models on 3.0.0.6 firmware. See post #4 above.

All three models are popular choice around SNB Forums. Do you have to pay CAD300 for a new router and what is best for you - I don't know.

If I remember correctly, I paid 249$ almost ten years ago for the WRT and it's the same price (259$ in fact), it's less considering inflation. But if I can change for the Asus and use it for 10 years, I'll be more than happy with that choice. Now, probably all my wired setup won't cut it tough, I guess I have some Cat5 here and there.

and use it for 10 years

No, you won't be able to use any new model router for 10 years. In 3-4 years it will be on End-Of-Life list with no firmware support. What you are looking at has no DD-WRT, OpenWrt or FreshTomato options. Asuswrt only and based on it Asuswrt-Merlin. No more Asus GPL - unsupported soon after.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!