What's new

[Beta 382] Asuswrt-Merlin 382.2 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My gui (https) has crashed a couple more times on my ac86u with this beta, seems to be browsing two way ips that causes it. Has anyone else noticed this happening to them?

Yep. I have the same issue on 88U! Reported this earlier, but @RMerlin seems to think that it is browser cache related (albeit I can reproduce it on 3 different macs with different browsers - safari, chrome and Mozilla). My quick “fix” for the issue is to run “restart service_httpd” through ssh session.

Anyone use Johns nvram-save-r26.2 with this beta release?

Official FW 384 is out for AC68U by the way..

ASUS releases its GPL code only very slowly, carefully, rarely. Asuswrt-Merlin firmware is a little behind the official FW. However, version 384 does not bring any news. It's just a great ad. The goal is for users to buy other new ASUS network products and connect them to each other. AiMesh is the big ad. Quickly update everyone! :-D It's really funny.

If you are a network expert, you can set up your FW 380 or FW 382 router to work better than the FW 384 and also in combination with other routers!

I do not know why everybody is always dreaming about a new firmware version. Newer firmware does not mean more stable! In version 384, as it is innovated and new, there are so many unrevealed bugs.

Asuswrt-Merlin adds to the firmware some features that ordinary users need to use. In official firmware, these features are missing - such as the Wireless Survey utility for scanned occupied radio channels. If there was no dd-wrt firmware, the Asuswrt firmware would not include features such as: MultiWAN, VPN, Virtual-WiFi (Guest WiFi), etc. . These features have been taken over (stolen) by Asuswrt firmware from long-popular OpenSource firmware. Still many features in the official Asuswrt are missing. Do you really want version 384? :) Why ? :) It is necessary to repair version 382 and it will be great!

It's true that ASUS makes it easier to configure the router, but only for ordinary people. From the point of view of network experts, the ASUS router is unusable - in terms of configuration. Why, for example, user scripts are not part of the official Asuswrt firmware, but only Merlin is added to the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware? It's all funny. ASUS tries to restrict users to always ask ASUS for help (requiring new patches, new firmware, new products, support). ASUS produces high quality products, but their software is really funny. Merlin is trying to make a little better firmware from Asuswrt official firmware. It's ridiculous that the ASUS manufacturer does not respond when asked for a GPL code (for example, for ver.384). The whole problem is mainly in the protected Broadcom WiFi driver code.

Yep. I have the same issue on 88U! Reported this earlier, but @RMerlin seems to think that it is browser cache related (albeit I can reproduce it on 3 different macs with different browsers - safari, chrome and Mozilla). My quick “fix” for the issue is to run “restart service_httpd” through ssh session.

That's a different issue. The httpd crash isn't related to the web browser, and so far I have only ever experienced once, so I have no idea what is potentially causing it.

ASUS releases its GPL code only very slowly, carefully, rarely. Asuswrt-Merlin firmware is a little behind the official FW. However, version 384 does not bring any news. It's just a great ad. The goal is for users to buy other new ASUS network products and connect them to each other. AiMesh is the big ad. Quickly update everyone! :-D It's really funny.

384_10007 contains numerous bug fixes to the Trend Micro code that are missing in 382_18991. I have been able to manually fix one of them through hex editing (was a simple typo in a tc command), but the rest such as Adaptive QoS failing to properly initialize at boot time will require moving to a newer GPL than 382_18991.

That's why I've currently paused development on 382.2, and am waiting to see if a 384 release will be stable enough (so far feedback looks good) and the GPL code comes soon enough, in which case I might scrap the 382.2 release, and jump onto either 382.3 (would be RT-AC3200 only) or orn 384.3. It will all depend on the 384_10007 GPL release, and what I find there.

(EDIT: spent nearly 10 minutes trying to get frigging Cloudflare accept this post... %#%...)

Last edited:
384_10007 contains numerous bug fixes to the Trend Micro code that are missing in 382_18991. I have been able to manually fix one of them through hex editing (was a simple typo in a tc command), but the rest such as Adaptive QoS failing to properly initialize at boot time will require moving to a newer GPL than 382_18991.

That's why I've currently paused development on 382.2, and am waiting to see if a 384 release will be stable enough (so far feedback looks good) and the GPL code comes soon enough, in which case I might scrap the 382.2 release, and jump onto either 382.3 (would be RT-AC3200 only) or orn 384.3. It will all depend on the 384_10007 GPL release, and what I find there.

(EDIT: spent nearly 10 minutes trying to get frigging Cloudflare accept this post... %#%...)
Merlin,

I moved to 384, from your 382.2 build and it’s running great.

I’m just a home user, but it’s been solid for 2 days now. Asus fixed the client list issue of some wireless devices showing as wired and the list actually seems to update properly now.

If you do move on to 384, looking forward to it.

Thank you for all your hard work!

That certainly explains the kernel errors i saw with qos and the odd behavior after a day or two.

Not much to do but wait tell the release things.

Thanks for all the hard work :)

Since my RT-AC56U probably will stay at the 382 branch since it won't get the AiMesh stuff all I really want is a newer GPL release with fixes in the Trend Micro engine and fixed hardware acceleration when PPPoE is used.

Well, OK. Ultimately, it does not matter which official version will be used for the expanded Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. It is important that all BUGs are found and resolved very quickly. In version 380 or 382, what is now being solved.

I have a life experience that every new software, even though it behaves as stable, even after 1 year of testing, finds such a big BUG that it is suddenly the whole system to fall. That's why I personally hate new versions that are not yet tested properly. For example, if a smaller company installs 384 firmware on its ASUS router, then it will be full for a month with the news that somebody has received corporate data through network security bugs :).

Innovations have and always have only one goal - to increase the popularity of your product (financial gain). An example is the Microsoft Windows OS - instead of repairing current versions, they are supposed to invent a new OS and hand them over to the people - the same, little edited, but the same! The sad thing is that ASUS is also trying to walk this way.

Last edited by a moderator:
My gui (https) has crashed a couple more times on my ac86u with this beta, seems to be browsing two way ips that causes it. Has anyone else noticed this happening to them?

Yes, this happens for me as well.
I have tried rebooting the client device (iPad) to no avail, only a router reboot fixes the problem for me.

I think that is a great idea. 382 seems to be a dead end and a waste of your time and energy.

384 is smooth and the only observation is the creeping RAM usage. Started at 72 now approaching 79% on the latest router.

That's why I've currently paused development on 382.2, and am waiting to see if a 384 release will be stable

hello new 384 Merlin will be available for ac68u?

No, it’s only a beta firmware! ASUS had updated his firmware for the AC68U:

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.10007
2018-01-02

New feature
AiMesh: an innovative new router feature that connects multiple ASUS routers to create a whole-home WiFi network. Refer to https://www.asus.com/aimesh/ for more detail.

Security fixed
- Fixed XSS vulnerability. Thanks for Joaquim's contribution.
- Fixed LAN RCE vulnerability. An independent security researcher has reported this vulnerability to Beyond Security’s SecuriTeam Secure Disclosure program
- Fixed remote code execution vulnerability. Thanks to David Maciejak of Fortinet's FortiGuard Labs

Bug fixed
- Fixed NAT throughput drop issue.
- Fixed network map abnormal responsed time issues
- Fixed client list issues.
- Fixed AiCloud smart sync issue.

Comes these changes in Merlin's beta 3?

That's why I've currently paused development on 382.2, and am waiting to see if a 384 release will be stable enough (so far feedback looks good) and the GPL code comes soon enough, in which case I might scrap the 382.2 release, and jump onto either 382.3 (would be RT-AC3200 only) or orn 384.3.
What would that mean for models that currently have an ASUS 382 release, but no 384 release (planned?)?

(example: RT-AC56U)

What would that mean for models that currently have an ASUS 382 release, but no 384 release (planned?)?

If I recall @RMerlin 's words, those models will stay at the 382 branch which ASUS will be developing in parallel with the 384 branch. That very fact will complicate Merlin's developing process, so currently everything is on hold until the 384 GPL sources are made available so that they can be examined.

I've just had to reboot my RT-AC68U having been up for over 4 days throughput suddenly died off. Download was at a max of around 8mbps with VERY high latency, and upload wasn't much better. I could see around 50Mb of free memory whereas I have around 100Mb after a reboot.

I use QoS (fq_codel) and AIProtection extensively but no wifi.

Just logging the issue for reference.

I've just had to reboot my RT-AC68U having been up for over 4 days throughput suddenly died off. Download was at a max of around 8mbps with VERY high latency, and upload wasn't much better. I could see around 50Mb of free memory whereas I have around 100Mb after a reboot.

I use QoS (fq_codel) and AIProtection extensively but no wifi.

Just logging the issue for reference.

I have been struggling with the same problem for a couple of days and today I got back to beta1, problems solved
=]

AC68U

It will depend on what Asus themselves do. If they stop supporting a model, then there's nothing I can do about it, and I will also have to drop it. I need GPL release for every single model, I cannot share one GPL with multiple models.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!