What's new

Can you help me clarify a couple wireless questions?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pdxrealtor

Occasional Visitor
I've been reading and reading... a lot on this site.

I have a lot of questions but I need to start with this one.

I don't quite understand the wireless speed in terms of anything 50+ Mbps..??

I have Comcast HSI at 22 Mbps. I see so much talk about wireless going much much higher, even higher than any internet speed could currently available.

So the first thing I need to clear up in my mind is:

When I read of wireless speeds in the 80+ Mbps range.... I'm assuming these wireless speeds are between network (example NAS) and wireless "clients" like in my case my laptop.

Is this correct?

OK.. thanks! That solves a lot for me while reading.

EDIT**** I see from WIKI that all the internet/wireless router speeds are MBIT/s (or Mbps)..not MB/s

This is all 2.4 Ghz

Below are my speed tests w/ wireless G/N mixed mode and WPA (auto WPA/WPA2) using my Mac Book w/ wireless N (it's a late model 2008 aluminum if that matters any)

Here are my speeds with all setup the same except switching the router to G mode only.

716824540.png

Why such the speed drop when going to G mode?

Last edited:
Because 11g at it's best gives you around 20 mbps... And evidently, your equipment gives you around 15 mbps :)

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!