What's new

Can't upgrade to 56 beta 2 from beta 1...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pfuller88

Occasional Visitor
I have tried six ways to Sunday, each time the router AC68U times out. Here is what I have tried:

- Normal upgrade page from Merlin firmware
- ASUS recovery - putting router in recovery mode
- I've unplugged USBs and rebooted
- started with WPS and power button
- reset with reset button and power on
- tried to load ASUS firware and merlin 55 and merlin 56 beta 2 - all for the RT-AC68U
- I've tried windows explorer and chrome
- each time it times out, reboots and comes back to the version last flashed on the router - 56 beta 1
- at least the onbaord version works.

Any more ideas are welcome?

I have tried six ways to Sunday, each time the router AC68U times out. Here is what I have tried:

- Normal upgrade page from Merlin firmware
- ASUS recovery - putting router in recovery mode
- I've unplugged USBs and rebooted
- started with WPS and power button
- reset with reset button and power on
- tried to load ASUS firware and merlin 55 and merlin 56 beta 2 - all for the RT-AC68U
- I've tried windows explorer and chrome
- each time it times out, reboots and comes back to the version last flashed on the router - 56 beta 1
- at least the onbaord version works.

Any more ideas are welcome?
Try the following (courtesy of RMerlin):

1) Unplug the power, then turn the router on to drain any residual power. Give it 10 seconds, turn it off, then plug it back in.
2) Turn it on with the reset button pressed, to enter Firmware Recovery mode. Power should now be flashing slowly
3) Set your PC to 192.168.1.100 (or 192.168.xxx.100, it must match your previous subnet). Important: make sure you do NOT use Port 1. That port does not work in recovery mode, because it's part of the Realtek switch.
4) Make sure your PC is only connected to that one router. Disable its wifi if it was connected to your other router at the same time
5) Try using the firmware recovery tool from Asus.

These instructions are for the AC87x platform so I don't know if the deal with Port 1 still applies or not. Good luck! :)

It worked, I'm back on 56. The hard coding the PC to 192.168.1.100 seemed to be the trick.