What's new

Changing the USB HDD mount parameters

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

algorab

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I am using an ext3 formatted drive and i noticed that the router is mounting the filesystem with the parameter data=ordered.

Is there a way to modify the implicit mount command so that I can activate ext3 journaling, in order to have better chance of maintaining file system integrity in case the router reboots unexpectedly?

Thank you,
algorab

Which router are you using? That may help others give an answer.

AC66U. However, this should be a general linux matter and not something specific to one router or another, shouldn't it?

That is what I thought might work and I created the fstab file and added the pre-mount instructions to create the mount point folder.

And that woks when I execute manually to unmount what the router mounts implicitly and remount with my own mount options.

However, I have a different problem, in that on boot, the router, when it initializes the usb driver, sees the device (sdb) but it is unable to detect the partition(s) (sdb1, sdb2), so the fstab mount definitions are not executed. Any clue about this behaviour?

BTW, I am runing Merlin's latest firmware release.

Just use labels for partitions.
Label your favorite partition as "bla-bla-bla":
Code:
tune2fs -L bla-bla-bla /dev/sda2

Create a mountpoint for the partition via /jffs/scripts/init-start:
Code:
mkdir -p /tmp/home

Create a fstab entry for the partition via /jffs/configs/fstab:
Code:
LABEL=bla-bla-bla             /tmp/home       ext3            rw,your-options-here      1 1

actually, in my fstab I am using the device UUID. But that does not make any difference since the OS does not seem to be capable to do a proper detection of the devices.

Well, I've been using UUID mounting for a long time.
Had no problem at all.
Now I use label mounting and have no problems too.

Check your configs carefully.

wbr

I suggest that you wipe the partition table on sdb, then recreate it and format the partitions using the router's tools (not a PC).

I had a similar problem where the router refused to see the partitions I had created when attached to my PC.

That is exactly what I did the other night. And it did not solve the problem. Because, from the symptoms I think the culprit is the USB driver, which is not detecting correctly the devices on boot.

If a force the USB unbind and then bind, via a custom script, then the devices will be configured correctly and the mount will be executed based on the information in fstab.