What's new

Channel and Width not following settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jordan123

Occasional Visitor
I'm new here so I'll apologise in advance; I've got the ASUS RT-AX58U V2 which doesn't seem to follow the settings regarding channel and Width

Seems to default to Auto channel and then 40Mhz on width I'm not sure if I need logs are anything so I'll take the flak as a welcoming gift 👋😬

Version: 3004.388.7_1-gnuton0_alpha1

Last edited:
I assume you're talking about 2.4GHz?

Post screen shots of what you're looking at. e.g. Wireless - General and System Log - Wireless Log.

Sorry, I've typed this on my device thought I mentioned that and now you say it I believe the 5Ghz is also not playing along either...

I believe I've not uploaded anything that I shouldn't to the worldwide web but please let me know 😄

Settings don't seem to stick in the WebUI either which I should mention I choose and channel and save it seems to refresh but nothing changes :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240505-154248.png
    Screenshot_20240505-154248.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20240505-153836.png
    Screenshot_20240505-153836.png
    200.7 KB · Views: 46
  • syslog.txt
    436.2 KB · Views: 2
Your first screenshot is too small to read.

Settings don't seem to stick in the WebUI either which I should mention I choose and channel and save it seems to refresh but nothing changes :)
This is likely the problem. Have you tried doing a factory reset and configuring it again? Otherwise it could simply be a bug. In which case try using an earlier non-alpha firmware.

Last edited:
Yeah; I used the Factory reset with initialize all the settings ticked after I updated to this version, can't be too sure if the last version had it to be honest I'm hoping someone with the same router chimes in shortly 🤞

And did you perform a minimal and manual configuration (i.e. You did not use any saved backup config files)?

And, you did not plug in a USB drive that was previously used for amtm scripts (at least, not before you formatted it on a PC to NTFS)?

And did you perform a minimal and manual configuration (i.e. You did not use any saved backup config files)?

And, you did not plug in a USB drive that was previously used for amtm scripts (at least, not before you formatted it on a PC to NTFS)?
Hmm; Yeah I setup from scratch but sadly the USB was never removed but only has adblocking nothing extra do you think that's still worth looking into? Such a little oversight causing this bother 😲 (was formatted via amtm once I was covering the adblocking again)

If you already reset it and re-configured after and it is working properly now on stable 388.6 release - stop wasting your time. Wait for 388.7 stable release.

Alright will do, everything is working fine at the moment just channel and width seems to be choosing the absolute worst possible combination which that's when I discovered I'm not able to choose manually; Thanks for all the help folks! 😊

Last edited:
Hmm; Yeah I setup from scratch but sadly the USB was never removed but only has adblocking nothing extra do you think that's still worth looking into? Such a little oversight causing this bother 😲 (was formatted via amtm once I was covering the adblocking again)

You've effectively never performed a full reset then.

Time to do so now.

Your router/network isn't in a good/known state. There are probably other issues that haven't surfaced yet either.

You've effectively never performed a full reset then.

Time to do so now.

Your router/network isn't in a good/known state. There are probably other issues that haven't surfaced yet either.

Looks quite long winded and I can definitely say I've not Factory Reset properly if this is the checklist, I'll get on it when I'm free

Thanks L&LD :)

Looks quite long winded and I can definitely say I've not Factory Reset properly if this is the checklist, I'll get on it when I'm free
There's nothing complicated about a factory reset.

Follow the official instructions here:
or here:

Yes, it's faster to do it than to read about it. But when you haven't done it at all before, yet, those extra steps are invaluable to getting your router/network to a good/known state with maximum performance and security.

I did the method 2 because I didn't want to be the usual come and whine on that something isn't working , but I've not followed good practice which L&LD has kindly shared with us so I'll give that a whirl when I get at chance :) hopefully that sorts it

I did the method 2 because I didn't want to be the usual come and whine on that something isn't working ,
Was that before or after you had the problem with your Wi-Fi settings not being applied in the GUI? Concentrate on resolving that first before making other changes that are not related to your problem.

hopefully that sorts it

Your router is a new addition to GNUton supported models with a single stable release and one beta work in progress. If you encounter bugs - report them. This is your chance to get better firmware on the next update cycle. Resetting, rebooting, reconfiguring and following someone else's practices won't help you in a long run.

Was that before or after you had the problem with your Wi-Fi settings not being applied in the GUI? Concentrate on resolving that first before making other changes that are not related to your problem.
Well I did a factory reset coming from ASUS Stock to Merlin (factory reset after flashing the stable Merlin) then I've updated to the newer version from then and that's when I noticed the issue and did method 2 again with the same end result I'm not 100% sure where to report it due to the thread stating create a new thread :)

Well I did a factory reset coming from ASUS Stock to Merlin (factory reset after flashing the stable Merlin) then I've updated to the newer version from then and that's when I noticed the issue and did method 2 again with the same end result I'm not 100% sure where to report it due to the thread stating create a new thread :)
Log a new issue on github: https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/issues

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!