What's new

[Dev] Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 development

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This an imported .ovpn file direct from the provider which works on the previous merlin and after first boot on this version but subsequently not.

Appreciate you input.
Imported file from VPN-provider often is for computers not routers, therefore it's needed some modification to work.
I always configuration by hand to have control over all settings.

I'm trying to login to my AiMesh-node, when I login it asks for user ID and password, after entering that on the AiMesh-node's login, it instantly redirects me to my main router's network map page. Is this the intended outcome? I used to be able to login to the mesh node and see a limited GUI, now that seems impossible to achieve. Am I missing something? Is this new with this firmware?
I have only have login on nodes working with RMerlin software.

This an imported .ovpn file direct from the provider which works on the previous merlin and after first boot on this version but subsequently not.

Appreciate you input.
As @octopus said, try removing the offending block-outside-dns option from your config file.

--block-outside-dns
Block DNS servers on other network adapters to prevent DNS leaks. This option prevents any application from accessing TCP or UDP port 53 except one inside the tunnel. It uses Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) and works on Windows Vista or later. This option is considered unknown on non-Windows platforms and unsupported on Windows XP, resulting in fatal error. You may want to use --setenv opt or --ignore-unknown-option (not suitable for Windows XP) to ignore said error. Note that pushing unknown options from server does not trigger fatal errors.

I have only have login on nodes working with RMerlin software.
Yeah, I've been using Asuswrt-Merlin firmware continuously on all my devices for years now, but thanks. It worked a while back but I'm not sure how long ago now.

Another curiosity is whether these newer kernels can be ported to ASUSWRT/ Merlin?
No.

After initial success when first installed on my AX58U connecting to my VPN provider Astrill is now having problems with OVPN.
You highlighted the reason: "Internet is not redirected". Look a bit lower, and enable Internet redirection.

I just updated my rt-ax58U to 388.1_alpha1-g89b92e5ff6 but I encountered a problem, from the DDNS page I can't use the "Method to retrieve WAN IP", unfortunately, in spite of myself, I have to use the router provided by my ISP (Vodafone IT ) as ONT, so the good Asus is set up with a static but private wan IP address.
That setting was dropped by Asus in 388. After discussion with them, we both decided that having it automatically switch to external checks when a private WAN IP was detected was more user-friendly, and prevents misconfiguration of people accidentally publishing a private IP to their DDNS.

That setting was dropped by Asus in 388. After discussion with them, we both decided that having it automatically switch to external checks when a private WAN IP was detected was more user-friendly, and prevents misconfiguration of people accidentally publishing a private IP to their DDNS.

Hi @RMerlin,

thanks for the feedback, clear choice, but I think there is a problem and the automatic external check does not work:

with 388

Schermata 2022-10-23 alle 20.10.48.jpg

with 386.7_2

Schermata 2022-10-23 alle 20.11.25.jpg

Thanks
Commodoro

...The 388 merge is going better than initially expected. I hit a small road bump as the RT-AX88U I was working on died (burned voltage regular from what I can see on the pc board), but I also had 388 GPL code for the GT-AX11000 (same SDK), so I moved development to it..

Is that mean no more support for ax88u or you will get new one ?

Dirty upgrade to RT-AX58U 388.1 alpha from 386.7_2 with no issues on my relatively simple setup. No VPN setup to test, though.

So in your case, you'd have to chose between 220 Mbps OpenVPN and 1 Gbps non-VPN throughput, or 300 Mbps Wireguard and 350 Mbps non-VPN throughput.

For some, this might be a reasonable tradeoff, as having been there with gigabit fibre, there's not much difference for most - other than people feeling that they're not getting full-value for the price of the connection...

(once above about 300 mBit/sec - the internet is "slow" not the last mile for the most part)

No.

You highlighted the reason: "Internet is not redirected". Look a bit lower, and enable Internet redirection.

I also use external option for ddns.. So now this isn't an option on the new firmwares. I also as the other person have my router behind a gateway that doesn't allow bridge mode. I think that should still be a users choice since the default was internal.

Are you sure you are referring to a Broadcom-based model? AFAIK, the newest BCM kernel DD-WRT has is one of the early 3.x versions, as that was the last time brainslayer had access to the BCM SDK. If it's not a Broadcom model, then this isn't using CTF but something else.

I was thinking the same thing...

I suppose someone can go off the range, with a possible leaked code base, and build ctf.ko and other modules to support dependencies, but that would be out of the scope of AsusWRT on the older targets.

I also use external option for ddns.. So now this isn't an option on the new firmwares. I also as the other person have my router behind a gateway that doesn't allow bridge mode. I think that should still be a users choice since the default was internal.
Subscribing to static IP may be your only solution then. I did for years. You could also try the IPTV settings to accomplish your need for a public IP. This requires your ISP's basic VLAN information, they use for their internet network. I used IPTV settings for a few years but it has a few problems and isn't fully supported by @RMerlin

Last edited:
Subscribing to static IP may be your only solution then. I did for years. You could also try the IPTV settings to accomplish your need for a public IP. This requires your ISP's basic VLAN information, they use for there internet network. I used IPTV settings for a few years but it has a few problems and isn't fully supported by @RMerlin
The thing is using the option external works fine for me !.. SO why aren't we having that choice anymore? Or will it still do the external check and it just doesn't have the option anymore. I have a double nat situation.

The thing is using the option external works fine for me !.. SO why aren't we having that choice anymore? Or will it still do the external check and it just doesn't have the option anymore. I have a double nat situation.
I think that what RMerlin was saying is that it now always behaves like the old "external" option (bugs not withstanding). There is really no point having the internal option as external works for both scenarios.

I should clarify that last bit about IPTV. Using it alone works fine but when you add the user scripts we are offered here rebooting smoothly takes work and maintenance.

Hi @RMerlin,

thanks for the feedback, clear choice, but I think there is a problem and the automatic external check does not work:
What DDNS provider are you using?

I think that should still be a users choice since the default was internal.
The default is no longer fixed to internal, the check will be dynamically based on whether your WAN IP is a public (internal) or private (external).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Support Us - Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online