What's new

External USB 3.0 HDD - Status Unmounted

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Benjamin1904

New Around Here
Hello Everybody,

I bought the following brandnew 5TB USB 3.0 HDD on Amazon: https://www.amazon.de/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-Festplatte-Exclusive/dp/B07VS8QCXC

My Image Version on my Asus RT-AX88U is the following: 3004.388.8

Probem is that I put the HDD into the router and got the following error: Status unmounted. The HDD is also not reachable through the network.

1722445452881.png

Here are the current preferences

1722445529423.png

If I disconnect the 5TB from the router and replace it with a 16GB USB stick everything works fine. The USB stick is accessible on the network and I can save files on the USB stick. If I connect the HDD with my Computer, the HDD also works fine.

Anyone an Idea what could cause this and how I can solve this? My current Ideas are:

• Wrong formation of the HDD
  • There is a limit in Disk Space which is supported by the router (16GB Stick works, 5TB HDD not)

I found the following link which indicates a limit in disk space: https://www.asus.com/de/support/faq/1047043/ but I am not sure and I also dont know whats the relevant size for me if I want to Share (Read and Write) Files in my Network

Thx in advance for the support

Attachments

• 1722445562960.png
    1722445562960.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 5
Well it appears that chart tells the story. 4TB seems to be a common limitation. Also, I expect most external enclosures are using either exFAT or NTFS, when the better option for Linux is usually ext2/3/4.

As I often say, I don't consider the router an appropriate location for a NAS anyway. It's best left for small, transient files, typically w/ expendable USB flash drives. Placing your hopes on the router w/ that much data is asking for trouble imo.

I'd be starting to get nervous of the potential power draw on that drive. Regular USB 3 is about 4.5W and that drive is specced to 4.2W. So it's a bit close! If it were me, I'd probably be running it through the USB power meter for a little whole just to check.
*Food for thought, I don't know what the power consumption of my USB power meter is itself!