What's new

Release GNUton [Official Fork] 388.8_2 Release

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DJones

Very Senior Member
AIM

This is an official Merlin fork which is supported by ASUS and RMerlin: Aim of this project is to make Merlin running on additional routers.

My builds are intended to support all features present in the original Merlin firmware. Occasionally, I also incorporate additional features for specific models. The images are built in the cloud to ensure transparency, and the open-source code is publicly accessible in this GitHub repository.

If you enjoy this project feel free to scroll all the way down and check on how you can ❤️ this project!

GNUton's Asus Merlin changelog

Date: August 04, 2024
Release: 3004.388.8_2-gnuton1

• UPDATED: backported all upstream changes up to 3004.388.8_2
  • FIXED: fixed cake support to 5.04axhnd 6750 and 6756 devices
  • REMOVED: WiFi radar support from all devices

Supported devices:

3006.102.x firmware downloads: latest testing

3004.388.x firmware downloads: stable or testing

386.x firmware downloads: stable or testing

Downloads:

Main GitHub:

GNUtons discord: https://discord.gg/CSuxVjwg3F
Report bug related issues to gnuton’s github.

Last edited:
Thank you for this firmware update. I have a TUF-AX3000 v2 and this had not received any update from Asus since August 2023.

dirty update on all XT8 here, wire and wireless backhaul, from 388.7, all good so far.

I'm not seeing any downloads for GT-BE98, is it not yet released?

Since that router is running off the newer asus firmware it’s still in beta. You can test it if you like, last updated 2 weeks ago.

Hi. Can update to this firmware my router ASUS RT-AX58U V2 ?

And it is possible install that update on this router?

Hi. Can update to this firmware my router ASUS RT-AX58U V2 ?

And it is possible install that update on this router?
Your router is in the list so yes, you can install this Gnuton fork. Find your router's file on the first link, download, unzip and install.

I have a pair of used XT8 with stability issues. .. I flashed the GNUton firmware and everything was fixed. I upgraded to every beta firmware as soon as it came out, and had zero problem.
Until now.
When I upgraded to 388.8_1 and _2, my OOMA phone could not connect to the Internet. Resets and reboots could not fix it.
Now I went back to 3004.388.7_1-gnuton1 and OOMA phone worked fine.

Installed router TUF-AX5400 in aimesh mode. Node is another TUF-AX5400
All seems to work fine. Only satellite led power on every reboot. On gui I have unchecked led power on. So I must activate it and deactivate again to power off led.

Installed router TUF-AX5400 in aimesh mode. Node is another TUF-AX5400
All seems to work fine. Only satellite led power on every reboot. On gui I have unchecked led power on. So I must activate it and deactivate again to power off led.

Try this and just disable leds if you want them off each reboot.
IMG_0198.jpeg

accessible from SSH only

Enabling SSH in ASUS Routers

Download and using Putty

These will help get you started if you’re not familiar with SSH.

It looks daunting to new users but it’s really just following some simple instructions. After which it takes literally a couple of seconds to access.

Anyone having issues with Wireguard it won't go out to the internet or its extremely slow

Not going out to the internet and or it’s extremely slow is two different issues.

As for the first no issue connecting using WireGuard server originating from the router for me using the rt-ax58u v2 - 3004.388.8_2-gnuton1

As for the second issue. WireGuard doesn’t use nat hardware acceleration. I don’t think this has changed between firmware versions. Expect anything over 300 mbps to be bottlenecked if your line speed is over this amount due to no HW accel. This will be a cpu bottleneck.

“Note that enabling WireGuard will disable hardware NAT acceleration due to compatibility reasons.” .

Not going out to the internet and or it’s extremely slow is two different issues.

As for the first no issue connecting using WireGuard server originating from the router for me using the rt-ax58u v2 - 3004.388.8_2-gnuton1

As for the second issue. WireGuard doesn’t use nat hardware acceleration. I don’t think this has changed between firmware versions. Expect anything over 300 mbps to be bottlenecked if your line speed is over this amount due to no HW accel. This will be a cpu bottleneck.

“Note that enabling WireGuard will disable hardware NAT acceleration due to compatibility reasons.” .
Seems like I was able to resolve the issue. I uploaded the firmware again and now it's working. I been doing dirty flash BTW.

Seems like I was able to resolve the issue. I uploaded the firmware again and now it's working. I been doing dirty flash BTW.

Yep that could do it. I’d avoid large jumps in firmware updates to avoid any issues. MerlinAU addon could help with that for auto upgrades however there is always risks albeit small when you automate updates without monitoring its success. The developer @ExtremeFiretop, is pretty on top of it’s development on Merlin and Gnuton routers, if you have any issues with that he’d be your guy to talk to.

Yep that could do it. I’d avoid large jumps in firmware updates to avoid any issues. MerlinAU addon could help with that for auto upgrades however there is always risks albeit small when you automate updates without monitoring its success. The developer @ExtremeFiretop, is pretty on top of it’s development on Merlin and Gnuton routers, if you have any issues with that he’d be your guy to talk to.

Keep in mind for Gnuton firmware it's only available in the dev branch right now, so you would need to run the "MerlinAU.sh develop" command from the SSH console to enable Gnuton support. But it should hopefully be ready by this weekend.

I got caught up with work things and things in my personal life recently.

Last edited: