What's new

GT-AX11000 Time Machine Not working on latest Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ComputerSteve

Is time machine working correctly anymore. I notice that my drive never completes a backup but instead just disconnects. I am wondering if people are having success using the time machine feature. I am on the current firmware beta 3004.388.8.

Perhaps it's better to report the issue in the beta thread:

Yeah, I am also on Sequoia beta. I am going to downgrade back to Sonoma. I don't think it has to do with that. I am reading that time machine seems to be very unstable with the implementation from Asus.

Is anyone else who uses Time Machine having issues ?
Another recent one:

Another recent one:
Yes that seems more like the host-name issue.

I upgraded to 3004.388.7 and it broke for me. Granted I just use it to play around and not for my serious backups. It works fine on 3004.388.6_2.

Last edited:
I upgraded to 3004.388.7 and it broke for me. Granted I just use it to play around and not for my serious backups. It works fine on 3004.388.6_2.
Yeah so I downgraded my Mac OS back to Sonoma 14.5 & i'm noticing that time machine gets stuck on Connecting to Backup Disk.

Yeah so I downgraded my Mac OS back to Sonoma 14.5 & i'm noticing that time machine gets stuck on Connecting to Backup Disk.
I'm on Sonoma 14.5 and like I said 3004.388.6_2 and I don't have issues. I just remembered I made a backup before trying 3004.388.7 but did do a factory reset when going back to 3004.388.6_2.

Just the GT-AX6000 so maybe it's specific to your model.
Yes but now it doesn’t appear to be working on two models. Meaning if you have the GT-AX6000 and I have the GT-AX11000. They both seem to be having Time Machine issues. So idk seems like a bug to me somewhere.

What I have observed is that a few times a new firmware has been released and Time Machine will not work right away on the new release. Then, usually at some point, with a new version, it works again.

I guess not too many people use this feature and eventual issue goes unnoticed during the alpha/beta testing cycle. I would also suggest testing without your custom scripts on top before you report firmware issues to alpha/beta release threads. May not be firmware related.

So I downgraded back to 3004.388.6_2 & i'm now on 14.5.. I am noticing this feature is just not working correctly. It keeps getting stuck on "Connecting to backup disk"... I can get it to work if I manually start the backup by pressing skip this backup then clicking Backup Now.

So I think I found the problem... Seems to be a bug with that the way it adds the time machine location is through Hostname -- So meaning its adding GT-AX11000_pro.local/Backups.backupdb -- I can get time machine to work if I do this command in terminal --
sudo tmutil setdestination -ap afp://Admin@192.168.50.1/Backups.backupdb

I now don't get the issue where it stops connecting after the first backup...

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!