What's new

Guest Network on 386 builds doesn't play nice with Chromecast, and a potential workaround

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Doesn't it always work out, eventually? We don't simply stand still. We move to what works currently. :)

currently it will be applied on either firewall-start or a restart_wireless event
Maybe a simpler way to check...how do you handle Access Intranet? Potential changes to _ap_isolate would be at the same time as _lanaccess.

Maybe a simpler way to check...how do you handle Access Intranet? Potential changes to _ap_isolate would be at the same time as _lanaccess.
on 384 I override what that does with my own ebtables and iptables rules, so I ignore whatever is set. I'll probably build in something to "sync" the isolate settings between my page and the stock page if your change is merged

@JWoo

Please give
RT-AX58U_386.1_beta2-gbdc1bdaa14
a try....and please bear with me as I may have more to learn about nvram management in the new scheme of things :)

Does anyone know if this thing will work out in the final version? Blocking the communication of machines on guest networks makes it impossible to use the entire guest network on IoT devices.
You are describing the change that Asus made in the 386 builds (if guest network doesn't access LAN, turn on AP isolation). This is what is being fixed.

@JWoo

Please give
RT-AX58U_386.1_beta2-gbdc1bdaa14
a try....and please bear with me as I may have more to learn about nvram management in the new scheme of things :)
Same result as last test. I enable AP Isolation in the GUI, and both the variable wl0.2_ap_isolate and the GUI are not changed. You are very close to fixing this.

@JWoo

Last attempt for the day.....I'm seeing what I think is a really convoluted setup. Hat's off to @RMerlin :)

RT-AX58U_386.1_beta2-g706704c50d

If this one doesn't work, I need a break to reset to somewhat fresher eyes!

@john9527

New here, apologies if this is a question that has been answered many times before.

When you find the successful configuration, will you be making a PR to the main Merlin branch, or do you maintain a number of separate forks? (I did see the stickied thread in which you maintain a 374 fork)

If the latter, is there a list of differences between yours and the mainline? I have a GT-AC2900 on the way and I'm trying to read up as much as I can on which firmware I want to use before it arrives.

When you find the successful configuration, will you be making a PR to the main Merlin branch, or do you maintain a number of separate forks? (I did see the stickied thread in which you maintain a 374 fork)
I'm just doing a bit of leg work to try and help out @RMerlin so he can focus on the bigger things. If/when we get something that works, I send it off to Merlin for his review and he decides how to proceed. I'm not doing a separate fork of his latest code.

Last edited:
Tested the latest from @john9527 which is the g706704c50d build.

The Access Intranet menu option is working as wanted with Disable in the GUI setting parameter lanaccess = off and Enable in the GUI setting parameter lanaccess = on. John's fix is working so that the Access Intranet menu option does not force parameter ap_isolate = 1.

1608341161337.png

The AP Isolation menu has a blank option as the initial menu choice in this build. Picking the blank value in the menu, Enable or Disable does not change the ap_isolate parameter values. So, the AP Isolation GUI option is not yet functioning.

Thanks John for giving it a shot today! You are close.

@john9527 you definitely have reserves of perseverance. Tested your latest g3274c93599. I did a full factory reset just to make sure I wasn't impacting the test in some way.

The Access Intranet function is working great and as you changed it only sets the lanaccess parameter.

The Set AP Isolated function does not work; the menu is not updated to Enable when that is chosen, and the ap_isolate parameter is not changed. The blank in the menu is corrected.

1608395451156.png

Below I have set both Access Intranet and Set AP Isolated to "Enable".

The Access Intranet function is still working great and both menu setting and parameter lanaccess change correctly.

The Set AP Isolated function now changes the ap_isolate parameter correctly, but the menu option does not change to "Enable" in the GUI.

1608412184049.png

admin@V:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | grep lanaccess
size: 71976 bytes (59096 left)
wl0.1_lanaccess=on
admin@V:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | grep isolate
size: 71976 bytes (59096 left)
wl0.1_ap_isolate=1

When the menu item Set AP Isolated is set to "Enable" and "Apply" settings is clicked, the GUI still displays "Disable" . This is the only bug left to be fixed. Thanks @john9527 !

Last edited:
@JWoo

Interesting....the way they are handling instanced nvram (wl0.1, wl1.1, etc) for the guest network is really ugly. So much so, that as I started to trace back the required changes, I'm pretty sure it would have been something that Merlin wouldn't even consider implementing as it would change too much.

I gave it one more shot with a different approach that only makes changes in the gui page. Not sure if it will work, but a new build is up with today's date.

Thanks for your help....sorry I couldn't do more of the debug myself but just can't setup a Merlin router right now.

@JWoo

Interesting....the way they are handling instanced nvram (wl0.1, wl1.1, etc) for the guest network is really ugly. So much so, that as I started to trace back the required changes, I'm pretty sure it would have been something that Merlin wouldn't even consider implementing as it would change too much.

I gave it one more shot with a different approach that only makes changes in the gui page. Not sure if it will work, but a new build is up with today's date.

Thanks for your help....sorry I couldn't do more of the debug myself but just can't setup a Merlin router right now.
NP. Will test real quick. Appreciate being able to help out.

Tried the 386.1_beta2-g35e40dbcda. Same as before. Parameters are changing correctly. When the menu item Set AP Isolated is set to "Enable" and "Apply" settings is clicked, the GUI still displays "Disable" .

@john9527 you definitely have reserves of perseverance. Tested your latest g3274c93599. I did a full factory reset just to make sure I wasn't impacting the test in some way.

The Access Intranet function is working great and as you changed it only sets the lanaccess parameter.

The Set AP Isolated function does not work; the menu is not updated to Enable when that is chosen, and the ap_isolate parameter is not changed. The blank in the menu is corrected.

View attachment 28614
Wh
What happend this? Not ib beta 3 version...

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!