What's new

HELP - can't log in!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tomgru

Occasional Visitor
Hey all.. running an RT AC68P, upgraded firmware in feb to 380_4164.

Also changed the admin name and password back then. did backup.

All has been fine... then this morning... nothing seemed to be working and I couldn't even get to the GUI. rebooted...and now I can get to the GUI, but it won't let me login, with new or old passwords.

I'm on internet... but obviously a bit worried.... Suggested next steps?

Factory reset and upload backup?

EDIT. I actually thought I upgraded the firmware to something newer less than 6 months ago, but it's showing that version on the android app, even though I still can't login

EDIT2: Asus support actually there on the weekend. Had me factory reset. then I uploaded newest firmware, then applied backup. Seems to be back... but clearly a bit nervous.

I wonder if there is a problem changing the user login name, as that seemed to give me some challenges when I first tried it. Are you supposed to leave that at "admin", and only change the password?

Last edited:
Thought I'd reply seeing as no one else did. In the end you did the right thing. There's no 'suppose to', if you can change the admin username then it's not a bad idea. If you can't get access then factory reset.

I would have been worried too and a factory reset would have been prompt!

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Do you have parental control , time scheduling on? For me that was the cause on my RT-ac5300. It would work fine for a few days and then I can’t load the GUI. After turning it off it runs fine for over 30 days.

Do you have parental control , time scheduling on? For me that was the cause on my RT-ac5300. It would work fine for a few days and then I can’t load the GUI. After turning it off it runs fine for over 30 days.
I think this is something that can just 'happen'. It's happened to me too but only maybe twice in the entire time I've owned this router and a reboot has sorted it out. I don't use time scheduling.

I've yet to have it happen with the latest Merlin firmware.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!