What's new

Help diagnosing a TL-WR1043ND issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ok, had to unplug/reset it twice since posting yesterday. Maybe I have too many devices connected or something?

-iMac (static IP since it runs as media server)
-Roku
-DirecTV DVR (wired connection)
-HP Wireless printer
-2 Windows laptops
-Windows desktop (wired connection)
-iPad
-2 iPhones whenever we're home

So around 12 devices at any given time. Guess it's time to try a different router. Do you still recommend the ESR600H, tipstir?

Second to this one would be ESR600H gives you 100MHz more to 500MHz and 224MB more of RAM, dual band and extra ANT set to 5dbi.
[/url]

Also, my main concern at this point is reliability. I don't want to have to be resetting the router every other day.

every other week is understandable, once a month is ideal... but every other day is just dumb.

I also don't need USB ports - just a good, solid, reliable wireless-N router with WPA2 capability that won't make me reset it all the time.

Also, my main concern at this point is reliability. I don't want to have to be resetting the router every other day.

every other week is understandable, once a month is ideal... but every other day is just dumb.

I also don't need USB ports - just a good, solid, reliable wireless-N router with WPA2 capability that won't make me reset it all the time.

Might have reach the limits on the SOHO WiFi TP-LINK router with 400MHz 32MB of RAM. I've told them many times about these issues. The say the router can only handle a limited number of WiFi clients they gave me a warning about it. Too late with the warning. They need to make SMB Enterpirse AP than can handle 100 WiFi clients. Now with ESR600H AP is running very well after you upgrade the firmware to 1.34. WiFi connections have been very good. I've told this company what they needed to do for their SOHO routers and they have listen to me. I just would like to seem a bit more features. But what you get is good enough. ESR9850 I had two of they they were excellent but still they did what they could. ESR300H only has 10/100 ports but the WiFi TX in that is so strong. I have that here but I am not using. ESR600H covers the entire interior.

35 WiFi Clients
10x Android Tablets (mix mode)
8x Android SmartPhones
1x Windows 7 Tablet (now running Windows 8 on that one) Much better with Windows 8
2x Windows 7 Laptops
2x Windows 7 Netbooks (testing Windows 8 also) some tricks up my sleeve to get it to work!
2x Windows 7 Desktops WiFi built-in
1x Brother All-in-one Color Scanner PRT
1x Wii
6x SONY SMP-N100
2x SONY SMP-N200

I also use one Android Smartphone for WiFi Calling. This I am still testing as it's free feature from my CSP. On the ESR600H works very good. I want to go even more with it. Use those new Cell-Bluetooth Line-line DECT6.0 from Panasonic with my Cell on WiFi calling. See how well the ESR600H can handle those request, run all of the above at the same time or no 100% of the WiFi clients. See how much of a load it can handle.

Last edited:
tl-wr1043nd factory firmware is flakey -- use dd-wrt instead....

Hi,

Just my 2 cents after living with this router for about 3 years. No matter which TPLINK firmware version I ran, including the latest, it would start locking up it's wireless connections, and then eventually even the wired connections would freeze. I had to restart the thing sometimes twice a week.

Originally I used it as my main router, but in the last year i've used it as an access point for the second story of my home. The range is okay, and the connection speed seems reasonable (usually at around 150-170, but never at 300 though). The big problem with it is the flakey firmware. I think they have some kind of memory leak that eventually causes it to stop.

I was getting ready to ditch the thing when I thought, why don't I give it one more try by flashing the open source DD-WRT firmware on it. I did, and haven't looked back. The thing is now rock-solid stable. It's been about 2 months since I flashed it and I haven't had to restart it once. Looking at the DD-WRT status pages, it still has plenty of unused memory left, and very little CPU use. I recall that I was able to tweak an additional bit of radio output using DD-WRT as well -- giving me better range -- not a lot, but a few extra milliwatts.

I can't recommend using dd-wrt enough on this router -- it just makes the thing work....:)

Cheers!

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online