What's new

Help me find a good router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

adamhodge

New Around Here
I currently have the WNDR3700. I think it's crap. I mean this thing is a virus. What is a good router for my home network? Speed is important. I vpn to work and xfer large amounts of stuff across that network. I run virtual machines that need to vpn to other corporate networks. I have an XBOX and would like that to work with a Media Center PC that is connected to the network wirelessly (xbox is connected to a netgear hd access point of some kind - as a bridge i think). I do some iTunes using the Airport (not working well with the 3700). I have 2 directv receivers plugged in to it. I have a Windows Home Server, etc. All my machines are Windows 7 but I have various other devices that connect (phones, game machines, even the treadmill).

I've been through several netgears now and I've concluded the quality is low. Sick of it and must not be educated on how to make a good choice here.

Can someone help me out of this mess?

Router Recommendation

I've been using D-Link's DIR-655 without an issue for many years. Whatever you end up purchasing, I'd recommend getting something that supports a DHCP reservation table, I think also called static-DHCP. It makes troubleshooting much easier when there are problems elsewhere on the network. For me, I have two DIR-655's:
one with wireless disabled next to the cable modem being used as a wired router and
one placed elsewhere in the house is being used as a wireless access point. I'm considering replacing the DIR-655 next to the modem with a DGL-4100. Hope this helps.

I've used many, over the years. Best I've had is what I have now: Cradlepoint MBR900, $66 on eBay

I've been through several netgears now and I've concluded the quality is low. Sick of it and must not be educated on how to make a good choice here.
It took me only one Netgear to understand that much! never bought another again - and that is why I have avoided the 3700, despite all the mention of it.

You should look at Draytek Routers, possibly the 2920N or 2130N. I have had very good experience with them - basically install and it just works. No headaches no fuss, great features, highly stable under load and really great routing performance.

Not cheap, but I guess by now you understand that its worthwhile to avoid the headaches. If you are in the US, they they are sold by Guideband.com I think.

Netgear, D-LInk, et al... I wonder if they have to "buy their way onto retail shelf space"? My friend in the grocery biz says that a large part of retail shelf space is effectively auctioned off to manufacturers/distributors these days. They pay to be on a shelf and bottom shelf is the cheapest rate.

So with high marketing/sales costs, many middle-men in distribution, what money is left to buy the hardware from some hoakey shop in China? I think Netgear et al just shop for the cheapest boards they can find in China, probably get the firmware skinned with their logos for free and jam it into the channels. This is not how professional/OEM gear sales works.

Linksys is the odd-one because mother Cisco has their name on the product and some reputation to protect. Sorta.

Last edited:
I have been really happy with the range and throughput of the ridiculously cheap EnGenius router I picked up the other day when my Netgear Pro died.

http://goo.gl/J8rup

$35 at the local Microcenter. I would have completely passed this thing up because of the price, but I have had really good luck using the EnGenius ECB-3500 access points at work.

I am consistently getting 35+ down speeds from the wan port with this thing (both wired and wireless).

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!