What's new

High Performance Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Temikus

New Around Here
It's my first post on the forum, so i want to say hello to everyone! :)

I need advice on buying a wireless router.

Clients:

Wireless: (4)
- iPad
- MacBook Pro
- an old netbook
- a smartphone.
Wired:
- My Main Linux Desktop
- Mac Mini Server

Internet connection:
- 100mbit/sec stable channel.

Specifics:
- I do not particularly care for wireless range or speed, I just want stable wi-fi around 54 mbit/s in a small room where the router is located and good enough reception for occasional iPad use in the next room.
- I use bandwidth-intensive applications (Mostly BitTorrent) and heavy file transfer occurs between my desktop, server and the Internet (Mostly file synchronization between remote hosts)
Also the server hosts an FTP site + serves some webpages.
So gigabit LAN switch is essential.
- I need virtual server ability, e.g. route traffic from port X on WAN to port Y on a specific LAN host.

First, I looked at NetGear WNDR3700, but it doesn't have virtual server capability and furthermore people report problems if a computer on the network hosts a webpage.

Then I turned to Linksys WRT-610, but your review turned me away from it.

So now I have only 2 options:
- DLink DIR-655
- DLink DIR-825
I use DIR-655 in a similar setup and everything works great. But the model is a bit old now, so I don't think that it's wise to buy it now, when newer are avaliable.
DIR-825 shows pretty good results in throughput tests and has pretty good reviews.

Which one would be the best for my setup?
Or maybe you can recommend something better?

Thanks in advance,
Artem

I've never been overly impressed by any piece of D-Link Gear. The Cisco WRVS4400N Looks a heck of a lot better than the ones you've been looking at and in the same price range. The support for VLANs in case you want to grow your network and experiment and the SNMP is kind of a good thing to learn.

I'm going to point out to you thought that the only place in this whole setup where the gigabit speed with make any big difference to you is between the local wired machines. You'll probably see some improvement for the wireless machines. For the bittorrenting end of things As I said in another thread you aren't going to be able to use that gigabit speed on the WAN (internet side) because your DSL/Cablemodem connection will be the bottleneck. That said for internal wired file transfers Gigabit is great.

Thanks, Jason.

I will definitely look at the Cisco WRVS4400N, I didn't even see it as an option before and the functionality is awesome.
A problem for me is that local retailers want around 300$ for it, but I think I can find it cheaper.
Also I looked at the reviews at Amazon and I'm a bit concerned. Have you used this particular router before?

And I understand that my connection will be the bottleneck. I need stable gigabit LAN so I can quickly sync ~10 gigs of info from the desktop to the server without using an external drive.

Last edited:
The WNDR3700, as can all routers, forward ports via its Port Forwarding / Port Triggering function.

You might also consider a Cisco Linksys E3000.

I know it can do port forwarding, but I need port redirection. Port X on WAN to port Y on a specific computer on LAN. Does WNDR3700 have that capability?

Thank you for suggesting E3000, it is a very nice router, but unfortunately none of the retailers carry it in my country yet :(

I know it can do port forwarding, but I need port redirection. Port X on WAN to port Y on a specific computer on LAN. Does WNDR3700 have that capability?
No. You can only specify the ports opened in the NAT firewall, not the destination port.

Because the Linksys wasn't avaliable I ended up bying WNDR3700.
Figured it would be easier to just remap the ports on the client.
Well, the router works great!
It's a little disappointing that you can only forward 20 ports/port ranges, but overall I'm very happy with how it all worked out. :)

Thank you for all your help!

The Buffallo WZR-HP-G300NH can do all of that, including the port redirection, and you can find it for about $70...

Good ol' WNDR3700 and E3000 still kings of the hill? Has router development been halted completely or why are no superior products developed?

at this moment there is the cisco E4200, maybe that could be the right choice?

I would consider separating your routers functionality especially since you’re opting for the GigE switch. Keep the router for internet traffic only turning off its wireless radio. Then place WAP’s where you need them, can be set in WDS too. All of your devices are routed through the GigE switch. Router switches aren’t as good as dedicated swiitches. Plus, you can then place the router tucked away in the basement and not worry about the wireless signal.

High performance router means a good wired-only router. No WiFi.
Do WiFi by adding Access Points.

ZyXel, Cradlepoint, others make good SOHO routers. Cisco (not Linksys) is hugely overpriced for SOHO.

High performance router means a good wired-only router. No WiFi.
Do WiFi by adding Access Points.

Hey stevech, by high performance are you meaning feature rich or ability to push line speeds? Pushing line speeds I can see the theory behind separating your router from your wifi, but the practice seems to give me the same results.

Yes, most consumers have no need for anything more than WiFi access point + router as an all-in-one as is commonly marketed as a "WiFi router".

But enterprise/professional/SMB and some SOHO use a separate router and WiFi access point.