What's new

Home Wireless, Prefer N, Must be Solid

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

5150cd

New Around Here
I have been having a nightmare of problems at home with my network. Previously, I had a DIR-655 connected to a Actiontec M1000 DSL modem in bridged mode. I think the DIR-655 has been dying as I'd constantly be losing connection even. I've done all the tricks, DNS relay disable, etc, nothing seems to help so I've given up on it.

I have a small house, router is in the basement with just one above ground level. I'd like to have a 802.11n router than can do PPPoE, gigabit would be nice, but not a deal breaker at all, QoS uplink is a must too. Mainly, I'm looking for something rock solid, that can do Dyndns and can keep up with a few torrents. I'm not afraid of putting Tomato or DD-WRT on a router either if it will help. Any advice would be appreciated. Anything under $200 would be fine.

I'm hoping to get something ordered soon so my wife will get off my butt about the Internet problems. :D

Thanks for your help, and a very informative website!

5150cd

Last edited:
For what its worth, I decided to order another DIR-655. From what I've read, it is still a great router, and maybe the jump from rev. A2 to A4 will do some good. Hopefully, I made the right decision.

If you want Ubicom upstream automatic QoS, D-Link is about the only vendor for that is D-Link.

D-Link made a change to the firmware structure of many of its products, DIR-655 included, that is causing a lot of hassle and instability in the firmware. Once they get through that, the product should stabilize. But in the meantime, you may have a bumpy ride. Check the D-Link Forums for details.

Thanks for telling me now!

LOL, just kidding. I realize there are some issues, but I plan on running it pretty bare bones for a while until they get the 1.32NA problems figured out (DNS Relay off, for starters). I hope they do, there sure are a lot of people online giving them grief, which is a great thing. Hopefully they do the right thing.

Well, NewEgg totally screwed up the order, I ordered it Wednesday at 10:30 AM MST, paid rush processing and overnight shipping, they never shipped it even after I chewed them out yesterday because I didn't have it. Since I'm looking again, did you have any suggestions on a different model thiggins?

I really don't care about automatic QoS, I have the knowhow to set that up manually as long as the router can do a good job of managing it.

Last edited:
Get this

Being a long time Dlink buyer and owner right now of the DIR655 and 825 I recommend you get the Netgear WNDR 3700. It is rock solid and fast. I have mine running now about 2 weeks and it is perfect!

Charlie C

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately, as much as I think that is probably the one to get, I can't justify that much money for the type of use it's going to get.