What's new

How Not To Fix a Hot-running ASUS router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well to start with, you really are not giving enough info. A thread titled "Asus", and quick one line comments of "It overheats" is not enough for us to, at least in any serious manner, help you.

There are many factors that play into heat, ambient, load, chipset etc... If you search these forums you will see almost countless discussions on heat, and they all end really the same. That these chips are good up to almost 120, and really anything less is life.

Some users have added laptop cooling pads or USB 5v fans, really user preference as those force dust.

In your case, since you already removed the heatsinks, it could be something stupid like you not putting them back on properly or damaging the thermal pad.

The 87u has a part that gets hot when things heat up. You can remove that to fix it. It's called CPU. Use a Swiss Army knive to pry it off of the greenish backplate.

Overheat would mean its thermally throttling or shutting off. Has it done either of those? Or do you just not feel comfortable with the temps?

The 87u has a part that gets hot when things heat up. You can remove that to fix it. It's called CPU. Use a Swiss Army knive to pry it off of the greenish backplate.

We could try the ice cube trick first? what do you think?

EDIT: or better?
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-series-h100i-v2-extreme-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler

Seriously @Mihai, we need pictures. Right now.

I

I enter router interface and check the temps
checking the temp is not a proof/validation that your unit is throttling or having an issue at all. That's just a comfort level for you.

You would need to check CPU speed or even your bogomips value.

EDIT: and @thelonelycoder coder may vary well be correct that there are no thermal controls on this chips.

H
checking the temp is not a proof/validation that your unit is throttling or having an issue at all. That's just a comfort level for you.

You would need to check CPU speed or even your bogomips value.

EDIT: and @thelonelycoder coder may vary well be correct that there are no thermal controls on this chips.
to check that

The router can comfortably run at 80-90º Celsius, they are built for that.

"Tools" page, or via ssh (and I think I will avoid that one).

In all honesty, and joking aside. I think you are fine, and likely overreacting. What happens when you drop back to 67_0?

W
where to buy a usb fan for this router
Put it back together and look at the temperatures in the tools page. What you may think are high temperatures are maybe normal operating temps for this router. Anything below 100˚ is OK.

My 87U runs at 50˚, 70˚ and 88˚ right now. Ambient temperature is 27˚.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!