What's new

New models to be introduced with 3006.102.2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

3006 is largely 3004 but with SDN, which is highly complex and is spread throughout the whole code base. Everything has to be adapted to deal with that, not just guest networks.

Seems like a crazy idea. I would have thought they would have built SDN on the existing Guest Network framework. Seems like a simpler transition to me but maybe I am not grasping all the features of SDN.

Seems like a crazy idea. I would have thought they would have built SDN on the existing Guest Network framework. Seems like a simpler transition to me but maybe I am not grasping all the features of SDN.
SDN is far more complex than justs a guest network. SDN involves the ability to have multiple DNS servers and multiple DoT resolvers running at the same time, for instance, on potentially different VLANs. It can also have dedicated VPN clients and servers attached to individual SDNs.

From what I've found myself over the last few days testing the latest 3006 firmware on my GT-AX6000, the multiple DOT servers which are supposed to be assigned to specific VLANs/Guest Networks only, actually just seem to act as a general pool of DOT DNS resolvers unfortunately.

So while I wanted AdGuard only implemented for a Guest network (hosting mostly iOT devices/similar), and then adding ControlD DOT DNS servers for everything else, in reality everything on both the normal and VLAN guest network just went through the list of DOT servers listed on the WAN page, and picked the fastest resolving one, which just happened to be the AdGuard one added on the guest network.

Removing the AdGuard DOT server from the list on the WAN page (which the guest network setup added itself when enabling AdGuard for it), still left AdGuard itself enabled (I could disable AdGuard from the guest network profile if I wanted) and still sent DNS requests from the normal non guest network through AdGuard, bypassing the DOT servers which were ControlD only.

I'll post that as feedback on the Asus Firmware post on the forums here but yeah, still needs some work to get right.

If I have a main router GT-AX6000 running a future Merlin 3006-based firmware and the two other (non-pro) as wired backhaul AIMesh nodes and the AIMesh nodes only run 3004 (stock or Merlin) (AX86U), will the new VLAN features work across my network?

Last edited:
If I have a main router GT-AX6000 running a future Merlin 3006-based firmware and the two other (non-pro) as wired backhaul AIMesh nodes and the AIMesh nodes only run 3004 (stock or Merlin) (AX86U), will the new VLAN features work across my network?
I don't think 3006.x Merlin is available for the GT-AX6000, don't remember seeing any plans for same either.

If I have a main router GT-AX6000 running a future Merlin 3006-based firmware
Are you sure you are running Asus-Merlin firmware and not the stock Asus 3.0.0.6.102? Currently the GT-AX6000 is not supported by the Asus-Merlin 3006.102.x firmware. Only the RT-BE96U, GT-BE98_PRO, RT-BE88U and RT-BE86U are supported by the Asus-Merlin 3006.102.x firmware. The GNuton fork of Asus-Merlin supports the GT-BE98. Currently Asus-Merlin lists the GT-AX6000 at 3004.388.8_2.

SDN is far more complex than justs a guest network. SDN involves the ability to have multiple DNS servers and multiple DoT resolvers running at the same time, for instance, on potentially different VLANs. It can also have dedicated VPN clients and servers attached to individual SDNs.

And this is why Asus calls it a Self-Defined-Network not a Software-Defined-Network because anything they do will be less then any actual half decent Software-Defined-Network.