What's new

How to become a wireless ISP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kirygnc

New Around Here
Since the laptops market grow very fast ( phone market explode ), i was thinking to become a small Wireless ISP.

I`ve searched on net a little, but the infos doesnt satisfy me. I am intend to update the first post with your infos guys, tying to make a nice and complete tutorial about this subject.

- what equip do i need?
- what antenna should i chose first?
- whats the range for a 1db per meters? ( some antennas have 12 db, others 24db, etc)
- difference between 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz?
- what setup you guys recommend me for a 3 Km wireless network?
- what are the pro and cons you guys can find for a wireless network?
- if you connect on net with a Phone ( thought Wlan ), does the traffic from wireless network add on the phone bill?

- what software to use for searching the wireless connectivity around you? ( how many channels are used, how much traffic can be tracked, how many interferences,etc )
- what software to use to block potentials intruders?

Optional: Maybe you can give some nice ideeas to collect a small fee for this wireless network.

Really thankx guys for patience.

Last edited:
Maybe you can give some nice ideeas to collect a small fee for this wireless network.

Start with this: "Without mobility, there's no need for wireless"
This is why most all urban/suburban wireless ISPs service residences and business have failed due to the overbuilt fiber optics in America (leading to cheap data services). The shining example of this is Earthlink's misadventures in municipal WiFi.

In populated areas and major highways, we have cellular data, EV-DO from Verizon and Sprint (until they poop out). And AT&T's mish-mash. And Clearwire's ill-begotten attempt to overwhelm the LTE future. Great stuff. Expensive.

What's left? Rural? Not now. In America, our tax dollars are being tossed at Rural Broadband equality. (Where's my subsidized broadband, eh?)

Pretty slim pickings.

I came back to check for the updates.
hmm

I would like to try and check a setup and i need your opinion guys.
I would try :
- maybe soon a 1Gbps internet connection
- an ASUS router with 2 detachable antennas or this D-link http://www.dc-shop.ro/D-LINK-FARA-FIR-Router-Distribuitor-internet-DIR-635-prod-18186.htm
- an omnidirectional antenna like 14 dbi like this http://www.antenewireless.ro/29493.p.html

Its possible to have a round cover area of 1Km ( 1000m )?
I intend to use this into a city, many buildings, cables..

Its possible to have a round cover area of 1Km ( 1000m )?
I intend to use this into a city, many buildings, cables..
In rurual, maybe.
In suburban, probably not. Definitely not w/lots of trees on streets
In urban, no hope.

the issue is building penetration (RF losses) and people not wanting outdoor bridges feeding their house. The weakest link is the from-user transmission. A megawatt access point doesn't solve this problem. It's why there are metro WiFi subscriber bridge devices.

WISPing is not fun or profitable unless you're a non-profit doing a service for your neighbors where there is no DSL/cable modem service.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!