What's new

How to send S/PDIF over GSM wireless network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mindeee

New Around Here
Hello,

I have audio stream in S/PDIF from point 1 to point 2. In point 2 I planning to put PC to record and store all this data. Also I need to send/ reach all this data over GSM network. I need some software on PC which could record data and then transfer it to suitable format for GSM network. What format will be good for GSM? Do you know on market any suitable software for this job? Or any suggestions how to do it?
Thanks

Your best bet is to find a way to encapsulate the S/PDIF stream in IP and go from there. Not sure this is really the right forum for a question like this, though.

I have audio stream in S/PDIF from point 1 to point 2. ...to suitable format for GSM network.
S/PDIF? Are you really talking about the good old S/PDIF audio protocol?
"S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format) is a type of digital audio interconnect used in consumer audio equipment to output audio over reasonably short distances!"
As you can see from the defintion, S/PDIF is designed for the opposite of what you want to do with it! :eek:

I know about power line and WLAN adapters for this kind of job, but I never heard anything about GSM! :rolleyes:

Yeah, he'll need a CODEC, probably running on a PC, to encode the S/PDIF in IP so that it can be transported across a network.

I would imagine this is a very special use case and would require some expensive audio gear.

why not use a standard streaming protocol instead? have it capture audio from your spdif input source and stream it that way?

Whatever codec OP uses, needs to remember that GSM/GPRS isn't very fast... even 2G EDGE is going to be limited...

GPRS maxes out at 85 Kbit/second, EDGE tops out at 236.8 Kbit/sec - but that's with slots in use - typically it'll be around 40 Kbit/sec (GPRS) and 100 Kbit/sec with EDGE... note that those rates are at the physical layer, so real world is about half of that with all of the protocol overhead (one advantage that CDMA 1xRTT HSPD had over 2.5G EDGE, it was more efficient)

What I'm getting at is the audio quality to fit across that pipe is going to be pretty low..

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!