What's new

Is ~55MB/s "reasonable" over AC?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

To be sure I follow, you're saying you get about 350Mbit over AC? So that seems roughly in line with 416Mbit (read) and 248Mbit (write) -- that is, if I am indeed understanding you correctly there.

It is possible to put a rough Mbit on your "large folder of small files" performance over AC? I'm particularly curious if you see something other than roughly 56Mbit (read) and 9Mbit (write)...

I did a copy of the linux kernel source to check... if that's not a bunch of files/directories, I don't know what is...

And that was over AFP...

I did a copy of the linux kernel source to check... if that's not a bunch of files/directories, I don't know what is...

And that was over AFP...

Did you post the Mbit for the "bunch of small files"? Or are you saying you get roughly 350Mbit for that?

My numbers aren't that huge...

Mac Mini GigE to Airport Extreme and then to Linksys SE2008 Gigabit dumb/green switch to the TS-453Pro - and the sink is Debian 8 (Jessie) running as 2 core/2GB RAM as a VM on the QNAP - QTS 4.1.4 (current)...

Going to QNAP native is a bit faster on it's filesystem..

Last edited:
I'm gathering your "big file" over AC to QNAP is roughly 350Mbit -- if you can share a rough Mbit for "a bunch of small files" that would be super helpful -- ideally one for read, one for write.

Regardless, thank you for trading note with me. -Scott

Did you post the Mbit for the "bunch of small files"? Or are you saying you get roughly 350Mbit for that?

Do a git pull against the current Linux source repo - it's thousands of itty-bitty little files...

Big files like a DVD/BR rip aren't that much faster on a NAS box - not because of the file size, NAS boxen are optimized for small files as anyone can be fast on a CP of big files...

I'm gathering your "big file" over AC to QNAP is roughly 350Mbit -- if you can share a rough Mbit for "a bunch of small files" that would be super helpful -- ideally one for read, one for write.

Regardless, thank you for trading note with me. -Scott

small files - not big ones...

Sorry, I'm not quite getting you -- I believe you said you get about 350Mbit for a big file Mac/QNAP over AC transfer -- but I'm not clear what you get for a bunch of small files -- can you put a rough number on that? (Ideally, one number for reading a bunch of small files, and another for writing a bunch of small files.)

I hope I didn't somehow miss that you already posted that number?

small files - your performance issue is there...

Yes, why I'm asking -- do you get performance much different from this with your Mac-to-QNAP setup?

* Reading a bunch of small files from the QNAP to the Mac -- 7MB/s
* Writing a bunch of small files from the Mac to the QNAP -- 1.1MB/s

Yes, why I'm asking -- do you get performance much different from this with your Mac-to-QNAP setup?

* Reading a bunch of small files from the QNAP to the Mac -- 7MB/s
* Writing a bunch of small files from the Mac to the QNAP -- 1.1MB/s

Not sure where you're getting those numbers from - I didn't quote them..

And for what is is worth - NAS boxes moving from ARMv7 to x86 (AMD_64) is basically a 10LogN increase in performance overall...

Not just for the kernel, but for all the subsystems - the x86 community is much larger, and they deal with bigger problems..

Not sure where you're getting those numbers from - I didn't quote them..

They're what I get with my Mac over AC to the internal SSD on a PC wired to my router.

I'm curious how these "bunch of small files" numbers compare to a dedicated NAS like your QNAP.

I also get:
* Reading a big fie -- 52MB/s
* Writing a big file -- 31MB/s

Which I gather is roughly in line with your QNAP -- I think you said roughly 350Mbit -- so now I'm hoping to compare my small file result to that of a QNAP (or a Synology)...

THX

Which I gather is roughly in line with your QNAP -- I think you said roughly 350Mbit -- so now I'm hoping to compare my small file result to that of a QNAP (or a Synology)...

The QNAP x86/AMD64 box, the Samba server really doesn't care...

If you're considering a NAS box - the QNAP TS-251 is a good starter, or similar with Synology/Asustor... decent performance..

MacMine 2010 or later with OS-Server, similar, but depends on device media - Internal is fastest, thunderbolt is very fast, and USB3 is pretty decent. Mini 2012 also includes FW800, which for some apps, is very useful...

I'm sorry if I have somehow been unclear, I'm getting roughly this:

* Reading a bunch of small files -- 7MB/s
* Writing a bunch of small files -- 1.1MB/s

And I'm considering getting a NAS -- but I'd like to compare what I get to what I might expect with a NAS.

I gather you see roughly similar with your Mac over AC to your QNAP for big files -- I think you said 350Mbit.

But what I'm asking is what performance you get for reading/writing a bunch of small files -- Mac/AC/QNAP -- and whether you get something substantially different from the numbers above.

Thanks & Peace... :)

I gather you see roughly similar with your Mac over AC to your QNAP for big files -- I think you said 350Mbit.

But what I'm asking is what performance you get for reading/writing a bunch of small files -- Mac/AC/QNAP -- and whether you get something substantially different from the numbers above.

Asked and answered - see above ;)

No, you didn't quote those numbers nor did you answer the question that the OP has kindly asked a few times.

I'm sorry if I haven't been clear, or if I somehow offended -- I know I'm not a regular here!

I'd still love for sfx2000 -- or anybody else -- to share their "real world" numbers, ideally of a Mac talking to a NAS (Synology or QNAP) over AC wifi.

I had been thinking I would replace my PC file server (running external USB2 drives) with a NAS -- partly because I thought I'd get 3x (or more) performance boost.

But now my understanding is I'll get more like 60% boost when transferring large files, and 100% boost when transferring small files. (Again, with the client over AC, not wired.)

And, sure, 100% is better -- but it's not that 3x blowout I had thought it would be -- and so I'm just hoping to confirm to help make a purchase decision.

Basically the question boils down to -- for anybody using a Mac to communicate with a NAS over AC wifi, are you getting results substantially different from this?

* Reading a bunch of small files -- 7MB/s
* Writing a bunch of small files -- 1.1MB/s

Or should I start a new thread with this question?

Thanks for hearing me out! -Scott

Remember - comparing apples to oranges - My NAS is a SATA 3 running 4 disks in a RAID10 config - the RAID is directly attached to the PCIe bus of the J1900 (there's a PCIe switch in the middle, but no protocol conversions need to take place on the storage side...

I'm copying over the Linux kernel source tree - my wireless numbers are about 1/2 of what I'm seeing on the wire, mainly because WiFi is half-duplex, whereas ethernet is full duplex.

The challenge you're finding with your Win7 Laptop with a shared USB drive is that each file need to be created on the target drive, and it's this overhead across the PCI/PCIe bus to the USB controller, across the cable, to a USB to ATA adapter - so on a big file, that's one thing, but when doing hundreds/thousands of small files, it is killing your write performance.

The numbers above are for the internal SSD of the PC wired to the router -- I set up a new share so I could eliminate the USB2 bottleneck -- so there is no USB involved there.

So now I'm curious how those numbers would compare to, say, a Synology DS115 or QNAP TS-131.

As it stands, my instinct is to expect that "Ethernet to a PC with internal drive" is going to be comparable to "Ethernet to NAS with internal drive" -- but I welcome the opportunity to learn.

Thanks for continuing the conversation. -Scott

The one thing I caution here - are you testing filesystem performance or network through put?

Tools like iPerf/JPerf or NetStress will tell you much more about your network situation - that way your applications/filesystems are not skewing the results.

The main site has a great article on using JPerf - check it out here

sfx2000, you provide great information. But I don't understand why you cannot answer the simple question being asked repeatedly with a simple answer? Is it that you can't? Or won't?

Yes - 55MBps is reasonable - OP's question is now answered ok?

To the OP - you keep moving your questions around - I'm not a paid tech support guy, and I'm running out of patience - seriously, consider that you are taking up my time to answer your stuff.. and then you question my answers.

Best of luck - if you're using WiFi for a production solution, well, reconsider that - buy a CAT5 cable and solve that problem...

I'm done with this thread...