What's new

Is there a Wireless booster? Want to Have wireless out in garage?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JOE.G

Regular Contributor
Hi, My Shop is about 100 to 120 Ft away from my router, It is a straight shot. I was wondering if I could put some sort of Booster out in the garage so I can have wireless out there.

I Had a issue running the cable out there otherwise the building is all set for cable. I will at some point run the cable under ground back out there but for now I would like a booster is they make one.

Thanks

Hi, My Shop is about 100 to 120 Ft away from my router, It is a straight shot. I was wondering if I could put some sort of Booster out in the garage so I can have wireless out there.

I Had a issue running the cable out there otherwise the building is all set for cable. I will at some point run the cable under ground back out there but for now I would like a booster is they make one.

Thanks

run cable overhead - roof peaks if detached garage?

Meanwhile you can put a WiFi access point (AP) out there, and use IP over home power wiring to connect it (most likely).
See the HomePlug AV / MoCA forum section here.

I do this to get an AP in a room where I cannot run cat5. ASUS RT-N12 ($35), and you can use one of the several HomePlug products.
Simple to setup.

I don't want to run any wire over head Everything here is underground, I built a real nice shop and want to keep it neat. Ill dig a new trench and lay new pipe underground.

Ill try to post over there and see what they have to offer. Thanks.

Any comment on the prior suggestion...
you can put a WiFi access point (AP) out there, and use IP over home power wiring to connect it (most likely).
See the HomePlug AV / MoCA forum section here.

I do this to get an AP in a room where I cannot run cat5. ASUS RT-N12 ($35), and you can use one of the several HomePlug products.
Simple to setup.

Homeplugs in garages/workshops are a BIG NO NO! The power tools will create so much line noise it will murder the connection. Also might damage the homeplugs as well. Also the way that some garages are built they are on a seperate feed then the main house is. So you won't be able to link with the house at all. My mom's garage is on a seperate feed.

I would vote for a range extender or an AP.

Any tips on what Range extender? what is a AP?
Never heard of a home plug.

I know nothing about this stuff so all the help i could get would be great thanks

I have work shop down stairs and Man cave upstairs.

I have used amped wireless range extenders and they were really good.

I have also used amped aps and cisco meraki aps and both are great.

homeplug is powerline ethernet. it turns the elecrical wiring into ethernet cable

I'd get a seperate router/access point that is highly directional and point it at the garage. At that distance, even through walls something like this would probably work just fine http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CFATOM/?tag=snbforums-20 One, or two of those on an N150 or N300 router plugged in to your home network should extend your wireless in to the garage just fine. At that distance, unless it is a really big garage, the wifi coverage should beam over the entire building.

Or you can grab a couple of inexpensive Engenious P2P outdoor bridges and then a seperate router inside of the garage. A pair of these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SBG48E/?tag=snbforums-20 one outside your house and one outside of the garage pointed at each other on a channel seperate from your home network and probably set to 20MHz (unless you don't use 2.4GHz in your home much at all) would work really well. Then a halfway decent N150 router in the garage itself, also on a different channel and you are done. Probably all done for under $160.

The later would your best bet, in terms of wireless/link speed.

I currently have a shed located about 80ft from the antennas on my garage and I get about -70dB of signal inside of the shed with the doors closed, with 5dB omni's just outside of my garage.

So with a 14dB, directional antenna, figure inside your garage, even taking in to account slightly further distance, you'd probably get -60 to -70dB, which is fine for a decent link. Its not going to be mind croggingly fast, but it should support web browsing, email, at least one "HD" Netflix stream, etc. Probably get at least a usable 10+Mbps and probably higher.

I'd personally consider the cheaper route with just the outdoor directional antenna hooked up to a new indoor router in your house (antenna mounted outside of course) (or a couple of antennas if you really want). Then you can easily reuse the AP in the garage once you run the wires.

With the outdoor APs, you probably wouldn't ever have a use for them once you run the network wiring.

Or, as suggested, home plugs. Just google home plug networking, or check out the home plug networking sub-section on the forum here.

They are inexpensive and tend to work okay, just not great speeds.

Thanks for the ideas, Can you post the links to everything I would need to make this work. I would rather not mount anything outside and want whatever would give me the best connection/speed. Can you list what would stay in the house and what would go in garage?

What is required in garage for wiring? Thanks a lot everyone

P.S I re read it so the better one would be to have two ant outside?

Thanks for the ideas, Can you post the links to everything I would need to make this work. I would rather not mount anything outside and want whatever would give me the best connection/speed. Can you list what would stay in the house and what would go in garage?

What is required in garage for wiring? Thanks a lot everyone

P.S I re read it so the better one would be to have two ant outside?

Preferred: Two of these, Outside. Cat5 run inside.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833168115 2ea

HomePlug: lower cost. Will very likely work OK. If not, return them.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156434 2ea
Net yield at the IP layer is about 50-75Mbps ... IF you pay attention to avoiding certain plug strips, etc.

Last edited:
So with the top choice I would have to run cat 5 to it and place it outside? and it just plugs into a router on both ends?

Overstated, incorrect generality.

Why do you think the manufacturers tell you not to use it on the same outlet set as a cellphone charger/PC is plugged into?

I plugged my amped plugs and my netgear ones into the same outlet set as my PC and the speed went down a lot. it also was unstable with running tests on it. The signal pattern looked more like wireless LAN than a homeplug in the fact the graph went up and down a lot more.

I plug it into an outlet that doesn't have anything else plugged into it, and on a circuit that doesn't have a lot of use and it worked better and had better speeds and the graph was smoother and more stable.

1. Scan the WiFi network and set your wireless router on a channel that is empty or has the least inference from neighbors.
  2. Install a Ubiquity Nanostation M2 pointing at your house.
  3. Connect Nanostation directly to your computer or an other router inside the garage to distribute the network again.

I have done this to connect a Mac Mini located 200 yards from a house. The internal WiFi barely sees the WiFi signal that is overwhelmed by at least 20 other signals from wireless routers located in a condo building nearby. With the M2 installed I have a stable connection.

Hope this helps,

Rogier

Why do you think the manufacturers tell you not to use it on the same outlet set as a cellphone charger/PC is plugged into?

I plugged my amped plugs and my netgear ones into the same outlet set as my PC and the speed went down a lot. it also was unstable with running tests on it. The signal pattern looked more like wireless LAN than a homeplug in the fact the graph went up and down a lot more.

I plug it into an outlet that doesn't have anything else plugged into it, and on a circuit that doesn't have a lot of use and it worked better and had better speeds and the graph was smoother and more stable.

Sure that is nice. From the little I have seen though, motors actually tend not to cause a lot of interference. The backfeed in to the circuit isn't remotely near the frequencies that home plug operates at. These are motors running in the hundreds to just a couple of thousand RPMs compared to frequencies in the MHz range.

Scooterit, So with that I would need a router in my garage? and then I would hook what up to the Router in my home?

Have you tried a range extender? Proper placement is necessary for it to work properly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nope I have not tried anything yet, do you have a range extender you recommend?

I have a TP-Link WA830RE that works well and is about $35.00 new. You can also pick up another router with the repeater feature to extend your range. A WRT54G with DD-WRT will do the job as well.

If garage is simply nearby and is a detached, on the same AC power breaker panel as the house, I'll bet that a pair of low cost HomePlug or IP on power line modules will work find. One minute to install. No router/AP setup.

See the MoCA/HomePlug section here on this forum web site.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online