What's new

Kamoj Kamoj Add-on Beta testing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello everyone and hello Kamoj and once again thank you for your great work!

Just installed latest version 5.4b20 on latest f/w by Voxel and enabling Dnscrypt V2 with default servers and all public lists ticked, as well as 9.9.9.9 from Internet Setup, won't block ads on my Edge browser.

Any advise?

EDIT: I changed the Dnscrypt v2 servers to quad9-dnscrypt-ip4-filter-pri (only) but the issue remains. Also I just noticed on Router Information that DNS is somehow set to cloudflare even though quad9 is set to dnscrypt v2 server as well as Internet Setup. Rebooted and nothing changed.

DNS status OK: 3 (cloudflare.com) packets transmitted, 8.1/11.7/15.9 ms
Internet connection status OK: 3 packets (one.one.one.one): 7.8/10.6/12.4 ms

Last edited:
Does it do block ads on other browsers??
Did it work with a previous version of kamoj addon?

And I'm not using Dnscrypt, but isn't enabling all lists a bit overkill?
I can imagine that it will take a while before Dnscrypt will have processes and imported all those lists. Perhaps that is why it is not yet blocking?

Does it do block ads on other browsers??
Did it work with a previous version of kamoj addon?

And I'm not using Dnscrypt, but isn't enabling all lists a bit overkill?
I can imagine that it will take a while before Dnscrypt will have processes and imported all those lists. Perhaps that is why it is not yet blocking?
Thank you for your answer.

I tried with Chrome and Firefox and it is the same. Ads are not blocked.

This is the first Kamoj addon version (and Voxel fw) that I use, therefore I wouldn't know.

Do you use another type of DNS Encryption? I thought dnscrypt v2 is the best method along with a good filtering DNS resolver like Quad9 would do miracles, but i see zero blocking.

Hmm how long would it need to process the lists? I have it setup for more than 7 hours and I don't see any changes.

Also, why DNS Status in Router Information is still reporting cloudflare?

Very welcome to SNB!:)

If you enable all black-lists:eek:, you risk that the memory of the R7800 will become full, and the router not working.:(
I suggest you use NO black-list to start with.
Then add a specific address to your private black-list and try if it is blocked.
Then check one black-list, eg MVPS.
If you refresh the page, you will see how many addresses that are in the black-list.

The DNS status is reporting cloudflare.com, and that is the address that is pinged to test the DNS.

As a beta tester I now expect you to try figure out what is wrong and then report your progress here for everyone to learn.
I'll try to fix bugs you encounter, of course! :cool:

Thank you for your answer.

I tried with Chrome and Firefox and it is the same. Ads are not blocked.

This is the first Kamoj addon version (and Voxel fw) that I use, therefore I wouldn't know.

Do you use another type of DNS Encryption? I thought dnscrypt v2 is the best method along with a good filtering DNS resolver like Quad9 would do miracles, but i see zero blocking.

Hmm how long would it need to process the lists? I have it setup for more than 7 hours and I don't see any changes.

Also, why DNS Status in Router Information is still reporting cloudflare?

Very welcome to SNB!:)

If you enable all black-lists:eek:, you risk that the memory of the R7800 will become full, and the router not working.:(
I suggest you use NO black-list to start with.
Then add a specific address to your private black-list and try if it is blocked.
Then check one black-list, eg MVPS.
If you refresh the page, you will see how many addresses that are in the black-list.

The DNS status is reporting cloudflare.com, and that is the address that is pinged to test the DNS.

As a beta tester I now expect you to try figure out what is wrong and then report your progress here for everyone to learn.
I'll try to fix bugs you encounter, of course! :cool:
Dear Kamoj, thank you for your help, adblock now works!
I took it step-by-step, first disabling all lists and just blocking a specific website. It worked. Then I enabled only MVPS list and now adblocking works. Seems that enabling too many lists creates issues where adblocking does not even work. One is enough or we can select a couple more? What is the recommended max file size for blocklists that we can use on R7800?
Also what should we input on the Dnscrypt 2 Servers list? Get Default Servers or the server of the DNS we use? i.e I use Quad9 IPs on the Internet Setup page of the router, therefore I specifically inputed just "quad-dnscrypt-ip4-filter-pri" on the Dnscrypt 2 Servers. Is that correct?

Last edited:
Hello,

Just an update on Voxel 1.0.4.48HF and Kamog 5.4B19...

The changes made beginning with 5.4B18 (?) to the VPN connection monitoring/restarts really made a difference. I have not had one instance where I manually had to restart the VPN or reboot the router due to a loss of connection. That is a first for my R9000.

The Supervision Log will show lookup and or ping failures as expected with my internet connection (it happens on my other network/router too). But the restarts are working and I haven't noticed any problems at all. Thank you Kamoj!

I had been seeing the router take a long time for NTP sync. But changing the NTP server as Kamoj suggested took care of that. Everything else seems to be working OK since Kamoj and R. Gerrits helped me with the dnsmasq/dnscrypt problem I was having (corrupt config file).

I may be able to help with checking the "Route to Other Network" function if someone can explain it to me. I have two networks connected to the same modem that runs in Bridge Mode. Is the "Route to Other Network" function supposed to add a route to the modem and thereby to the other network? I read what I could but am still fuzzy on that.

Best wishes,
BL

Hello,

Kamoj, I know you are trying to finalize this version of the Add-on. But I had a couple of feature requests that I wanted to mention (while I am thinking of them) for potential future use:

1. The default DNSCrypt blocklists are great and very convenient. However, I also like a couple other blocklists that I use on my Pi-Holes. Perhaps consider a manual blocklist web address entry option for the DNS Privacy / Ad-Blocking menu?

2. It would offer more flexibility if the router/DNS servers could be selected to bypass the VPN, while still allowing router services like Transmission to be selected to go through the VPN. I think this is similar to what R. Gerrits is doing manually (?). I guess a different approach would be a setup like a lot of VPN apps where you determine if you want the VPN default bypassed or not - and then assign devices or services to the appropriate list as you do now. I can see uses for this even though I like the current configuration with the router going through the VPN.

3. Additionally, it would be handy to have a selection for specific domains to route through the VPN no matter what device (bypassed or not) was making the request. I sometimes pick up a mobile device that is bypassed for good reason and forgetting that, I start using a site that I would prefer to be on the VPN. I have this setup on my home business network and its been useful.

Best wishes,

BL

Yes, the idea is that you enter the ip of your modem on the other network.
Then you should be able to access it from your LAN connected computer even if its on another network.
It works for me with VPN off, for others it seems to work with VPN on.
Just try and report you story!
Hello,

Just an update on Voxel 1.0.4.48HF and Kamog 5.4B19...

The changes made beginning with 5.4B18 (?) to the VPN connection monitoring/restarts really made a difference. I have not had one instance where I manually had to restart the VPN or reboot the router due to a loss of connection. That is a first for my R9000.

The Supervision Log will show lookup and or ping failures as expected with my internet connection (it happens on my other network/router too). But the restarts are working and I haven't noticed any problems at all. Thank you Kamoj!

I had been seeing the router take a long time for NTP sync. But changing the NTP server as Kamoj suggested took care of that. Everything else seems to be working OK since Kamoj and R. Gerrits helped me with the dnsmasq/dnscrypt problem I was having (corrupt config file).

I may be able to help with checking the "Route to Other Network" function if someone can explain it to me. I have two networks connected to the same modem that runs in Bridge Mode. Is the "Route to Other Network" function supposed to add a route to the modem and thereby to the other network? I read what I could but am still fuzzy on that.

Best wishes,
BL

I'll add your wishes to the todo-list. I have not forgotten your previous suggestions!
1). Should be possible.
The reason for it not being so now is that the existing lists are of at least 4 different formats.
But it's doable, absolutely not too time consuming.
And maybe there already is an existing script to do the job? Do you know one?
Code:
#Type of hosts lists in adlists below:
#1: 0.0.0.0,      eg: 0.0.0.0 papoto.com
#2: 127.0.0.1,    eg: 127.0.0.1 crash.163.com
#3: pure domains, eg: fanclubmania.ru
#4: 0.0.0.0 unzip needed, contains eg: HOSTS file of type 1 together with other files...
2). All this with iptables and routing tables is too complicated to satisfy all needs/wishes.
For the moment it will remain as it is, suiting my own needs.
Unless someone comes a with a ready solution. If so I'll implement it.
3). See point 2 above.

:)Thank you for your suggestions and support and for using the add-on! :)
Hello,

Kamoj, I know you are trying to finalize this version of the Add-on. But I had a couple of feature requests that I wanted to mention (while I am thinking of them) for potential future use:

1. The default DNSCrypt blocklists are great and very convenient. However, I also like a couple other blocklists that I use on my Pi-Holes. Perhaps consider a manual blocklist web address entry option for the DNS Privacy / Ad-Blocking menu?

2. It would offer more flexibility if the router/DNS servers could be selected to bypass the VPN, while still allowing router services like Transmission to be selected to go through the VPN. I think this is similar to what R. Gerrits is doing manually (?). I guess a different approach would be a setup like a lot of VPN apps where you determine if you want the VPN default bypassed or not - and then assign devices or services to the appropriate list as you do now. I can see uses for this even though I like the current configuration with the router going through the VPN.

3. Additionally, it would be handy to have a selection for specific domains to route through the VPN no matter what device (bypassed or not) was making the request. I sometimes pick up a mobile device that is bypassed for good reason and forgetting that, I start using a site that I would prefer to be on the VPN. I have this setup on my home business network and its been useful.

Best wishes,

BL

Hello everyone,
I am having issues installing Entware to my USB stick with entware_install.sh command by Kamoj. I can see the directories created, but Entware wont work. (ie. cannot install netdata)
I format the USB to FAT32 with my PC, then connect it to USB1 of my R7800, reboot router and run entware_install.sh via SSH and I get the errors of the log file i have attached. (I have removed some tar lines before the end, otherwise it wouldn't let me upload the file)
I read on another thread there was an issue to this command, but have been fixed since then. Maybe the command is broken again?
Can you please take a look? Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• EntwareInstallation_Log.txt
    6 KB · Views: 106
May be broken again.
Not at home so difficult to tell what's wrong.
But for sure you should label the USB partition as optware, not ENTWARE.
Please redo and try again.
Hello everyone,
I am having issues installing Entware to my USB stick with entware_install.sh command by Kamoj. I can see the directories created, but Entware wont work. (ie. cannot install netdata)
I format the USB to FAT32 with my PC, then connect it to USB1 of my R7800, reboot router and run entware_install.sh via SSH and I get the errors of the log file i have attached. (I have removed some tar lines before the end, otherwise it wouldn't let me upload the file)
I read on another thread there was an issue to this command, but have been fixed since then. Maybe the command is broken again?
Can you please take a look? Many thanks in advance!

May be broken again.
Not at home so difficult to tell what's wrong.
But for sure you should label the USB partition as optware, not ENTWARE.
Please redo and try again.
Thank you Kamoj! Formating USB partition to ext4 and naming it "optware" solved the issue.

I just looked at System Information (for the 1st time since upgrading to Voxel 82.1 and Kamoj b20 3 days ago), and see that I have excessive CPU total load of 64.1%. I have never seen this number so high. Typically, this number is around 3.1%.

This is a virgin installation; no entware, no VPN, no ad-blocker, nothing. See the attached image.

Suggestions? How can I diagnose which process is causing this?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-09 103035.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-02-09 103035.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 82
top2
I just looked at System Information (for the 1st time since upgrading to Voxel 82.1 and Kamoj b20 3 days ago), and see that I have excessive CPU total load of 64.1%. I have never seen this number so high. Typically, this number is around 3.1%.

This is a virgin installation; no entware, no VPN, no ad-blocker, nothing. See the attached image.

And I see you use an OLD Voxel release. If you used DNSCrypt that could be the cause.
Be sure to update to latest Voxel.
The add-on 5.4b20 requires that!

And I see you use an OLD Voxel release. If you used DNSCrypt that could be the cause.
Be sure to update to latest Voxel.
The add-on 5.4b20 requires that!
Thank you for your response.

82.1SF is the newest Voxel (Feb 4, 2021). I don't use DNSCrypt. I have a default installation; absolutely NONE of the special features are enabled.

I don't understand how I am to implement your remark "top2".

UPDATE: A restart appears to have fixed this (CPU total load is now 4.1%), but the question remains as to what could have caused it to spike and stay there.

Last edited:

82.1SF is the newest Voxel (Feb 4, 2021). I don't use DNSCrypt. I have a default installation; absolutely NONE of the special features are enabled.

UPDATE: A restart appears to have fixed this (CPU total load is now 4.1%), but the question remains as to what could have caused it to spike and stay there.
Why didn't you use top (it's in Kamoj menu -> System information) to see processes CPU and Memory usage.

Sorry for being short!:oops:
Life is not always easy and harmonic, but I want to help as soon as I can.
top2 is router command showing all processes sorted with highest cpu load at top.
Try! And/or follow @sppmaster advice.

After a new install of Firmware there is "al lot of" downloading and installing done by Netgear/Voxel FW.
That causes high load as well. But now you know what to do next time!:)

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!