What's new

Looking for advice on DSL modem purchase

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

randymadden

Occasional Visitor
Thanks in large part to help I received from Tim on this forum (Thanks Tim!) I just completed an upgrade from an N router to an AC router (D-Link DIR-655 to ASUS RT56U).

Now I want to purchase a dsl modem so that I can stop leasing my AT&T modem. Yes, I now realize I should have thought this through and could have purchased a single unit, but alas, I didn't.

I have their U-verse service going through a 2Wire 3800 BG-V. Behind that I have my new ASUS AC1200 router with 4 gigabit ports, and 3 more gigabit switches behind that, with a total of 13 ethernet connected devices. Even though the 2Wire is listed as having 4 10/100 ports, I talked to an AT&T tech and he told me that, as long as I have a gigabit router behind it, it should act as a pass-through and not restrict my gigabit throughput. Testing on all downstream PCs verifies that this is true. At least they report "1GB" throughput - I know I'm not actually getting that full speed.

So, can anyone recommend the best replacement gateway using the following criteria:
1) Reasonably priced
2) 1 or 4 ethernet ports - either those ports would be native gigabit, or at least behave like my current setup and pass through what appears to be gigabit throughput.
3) router functionality is optional as I'm not currently using the router portion of my 2Wire - all routing is handled by the ASUS.

There's no need to mention the Netgear D6200 - that ship has sailed (unless anyone wants to buy my barely used ASUS RT56U).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rm

I like the Speedtouch ST516v6. We also sell the Zyxel P-600 to our customers (the Speedtouch no longer being available from our suppliers). These are ADSL2+ modems which can easily be bridged, for use with your router.

You only need one single port on the modem, unless you intend to use it as a router, which I do not recommend. Stick with a dedicated router instead, you will get better performance and stability, and flexibility as well.

I know a lot of people like TP-Link modems due to their low cost, but I wouldn't recommend them. Again today, a customer came in here to buy a replacement for his two years old TP-Link that was on the brink of death. There's a reason why a TP-Link can be had for 25$, but a Zyxel/Speedtouch will be 50-60$. Unless you are willing to replace the TP-Link every few years - at that price it might still be cost-effective.

I've also had bad experiences with Speedstream 4200 modems. Many of these would become unstable and randomly reboot after only 2-4 years. I doubt they are still being sold however.

Now I want to purchase a dsl modem so that I can stop leasing my AT&T modem. Yes, I now realize I should have thought this through and could have purchased a single unit, but alas, I didn't.
I advise against buying your own DSL modem especially with AT&T. They will play the it's your fault with the customer owned modem. And they will try to/will bill you for service calls where they claim it was your fault, etc.

AT&T is the worst at this.

Get them to put their modem in bridge mode and buy your own WiFi router. The 2-wire combo modem/router are notoriously bad at WiFi and hard to maintain as A&T controls passwords etc.

Steve,

Thanks for the advice. I want as many POVs on this as I can get. However, if I want to stop paying the $7 monthly lease on that unnecessary modem, I have to buy my own. I'm not using the wireless on the 2wire anyway, I've disabled it. All my wireless is provided by the ASUS router I just put in.

I've had pretty good luck with AT&T so far, and I pay the monthly wire monitoring fee, so all my service calls are free. So I should be ok.

Last edited:
It's funny - I feel the same way. This is my only exception. Most of the time these fees are just another way for them to squeeze a few more dollars out of you, and you rarely get any value for it.

But I make an exception in this case only because I've gotten my value on numerous occasions. It's only $5 a month; and I think it's a minimum of $100 for them to come out if you don't have it. I've needed them to come out at least a half dozen times in the 18 years I've been in my house, and I never have to pay.

Over the long haul it probably hasn't been cost effective. But not having to shell out $100 in a lump makes me feel better.

Not-loved but not-hated Time Warner Cable here has been out many, many times over the years to troubleshoot their problems which are usually their system, not my premises gear. Never charged me for this.
Because of horrific past transgressions in customer service, and excessive prices for just basic phone service, AT&T is permanently on my black-list. As might be suggested here.

Get them to put their modem in bridge mode and buy your own WiFi router. The 2-wire combo modem/router are notoriously bad at WiFi and hard to maintain as A&T controls passwords etc.

2wire is notoriously bad, period. Bell Canada used it over here as well. Plenty of reported issues with this device, not just the wifi. Apparently it might be a bit more stable since the FW update they pushed last year.

Back when I was still with Bell, their supplied 2wire spent about 15 mins on my desk. As soon the tech left, I unplugged it, put it back in its box in my closet, and installed my own DSL modem.

When I ran into a DSL issue, I re-installed their modem only for the time to do any diagnostic. In its box it went back as soon it was no longer needed.

Sucks however if they are billing you a rental fee for it. Bell did the same to me back in the day. One of the numerous reasons why I ditched Bell, and it's also on my blacklist as a provider.

2wire is notoriously bad, period. Bell Canada used it over here as well. Plenty of reported issues with this device, not just the wifi. Apparently it might be a bit more stable since the FW update they pushed last year.

Back when I was still with Bell, their supplied 2wire spent about 15 mins on my desk. As soon the tech left, I unplugged it, put it back in its box in my closet, and installed my own DSL modem.

When I ran into a DSL issue, I re-installed their modem only for the time to do any diagnostic. In its box it went back as soon it was no longer needed.

Sucks however if they are billing you a rental fee for it. Bell did the same to me back in the day. One of the numerous reasons why I ditched Bell, and it's also on my blacklist as a provider.

What's really telling about AT&T's ethics is that years go by with continued crappy 2-wire and they still use it. Probably a back-scratching business deal that AT&T ranks more important than customer satisfaction. That's the AT&T culture now.

I like the Speedtouch ST516v6. We also sell the Zyxel P-600 to our customers (the Speedtouch no longer being available from our suppliers). These are ADSL2+ modems which can easily be bridged, for use with your router.

You only need one single port on the modem, unless you intend to use it as a router, which I do not recommend. Stick with a dedicated router instead, you will get better performance and stability, and flexibility as well.

I know a lot of people like TP-Link modems due to their low cost, but I wouldn't recommend them. Again today, a customer came in here to buy a replacement for his two years old TP-Link that was on the brink of death. There's a reason why a TP-Link can be had for 25$, but a Zyxel/Speedtouch will be 50-60$. Unless you are willing to replace the TP-Link every few years - at that price it might still be cost-effective.

I've also had bad experiences with Speedstream 4200 modems. Many of these would become unstable and randomly reboot after only 2-4 years. I doubt they are still being sold however.
Where to buy one of these Zyxel P-600 Modems , I can seem to find one , you know a store nearby that sells them ? I live in Montreal , give me a hint , please .

Where to buy one of these Zyxel P-600 Modems , I can seem to find one , you know a store nearby that sells them ? I live in Montreal , give me a hint , please .

I am also in Montreal and would like to purchase one of these modems.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Actiontec GT701D
I have had very good experiences with them.
Just update the firmware, set it up in bridge mode and you are good to go.

The OP has a VDSL2 connection with AT&T UVERSE. Probably best to give him suggestions that would actually work for him and not confuse him since he appears to be a beginner.

@ramdymadden
Might be best to contact AT&T to confirm compatibility before going out and buying any modems being suggested in this thread.

Jerry6, wbennett77: We usually keep them in stock at my work (we have a storefront in Montreal), however the last one was sold when that customer came in for a replacement for his dying TP-Link. No idea when we'll get more in stock.

The OP has a VDSL2 connection with AT&T UVERSE. Probably best to give him suggestions that would actually work for him and not confuse him since he appears to be a beginner.

Would help if we knew that from the start. To us non-Americans, U-Verse isn't telling us much. I wasn't even aware that 2wire had VDSL modems, all those I've seen so far were ADSL2+.

For a VDSL modem, I'd recommend looking at Sagemcom. VDSL however can be more picky when it comes to compatibility. I believe the Sagemcom modems are usually well supported.

Would help if we knew that from the start. To us non-Americans, U-Verse isn't telling us much. I wasn't even aware that 2wire had VDSL modems, all those I've seen so far were ADSL2+.

For a VDSL modem, I'd recommend looking at Sagemcom. VDSL however can be more picky when it comes to compatibility. I believe the Sagemcom modems are usually well supported.

Yes I understand. OP is beginner and just wrote DSL. AT&T Uverse can be adsl2 or vdsl2 depending on location in U.S. But OP revealed which modem he is currently using which is their vdsl2 modem.

Anyway, I don't have uverse, but have researched it a little since they promised it was coming to my area (and it never did). I could be wrong, but uverse might require special AT&T custom firmware so it might be a case where only modems purchased directly from AT&T will work.

Hopefully someone with vdsl2 uverse connection will read this thread and tell him which modems will work and where to buy.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!