What's new

Major Network Upgrading, Would Appreicate Advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LeeNYPost

Occasional Visitor
Hello All,

I have purchased a bunch of new hardware for my home network and would appreciate any advice I can get. I have 3 r7000's to deploy along with a new cable modem (cable modem is already in place).

I am replacing 3 wndr3700's which have been rock solid for many years with the 3 r7000's... I will use 1 r7000 just as a router (wifi off) and the other 2 as wireless AP's.

I have cat6 ran throughout my home already so I can connect the 2 wireless AP's in optimal locations that way (this is how I did it with the 3700's and the wires are still fully functional)

My questions are as follows:

1) I see the r7000 has an AP setup mode... Is this preferable to the old way of just turning off all routing functions and connecting through a LAN port to create and AP? If so can someone tell me the difference? It seems like using Netgear's automatic configuration allows you to connect to the WAN port instead of LAN or am I not understanding that right?

2) Would it be better to use Netgear's Bridge mode that they offer instead of the AP mode?

3) What would be the best channel's to set for 5ghz WiFi so that my AP's do not interfere with each other?

Any and all responses would be much appreciated.

For reference I have about 20 wired clients (I use ethernet whenever possible) and about 15 wireless clients. My network is very busy most of the time so having the highest possible throughput is very important to me. My cable modem is a Moto SurfBoard SB6141 connected to Time Warner Cable 50Mbps down / 5Mbps up but I will be upgrading to 100Mbps down and whatever the highest possible up is next month when Time Warner releases their upgrades in my area.

So, it is Surfboard (only modem, no combo) ---> R7000 (used only as router (WiFi Off) ------> 2 R7000's either as AP's or Bridge Mode based off of your great advice!

Thanks again to anyone that responds.

Lee :)

One Last Question I Forgot

Would I get better performance by keeping the 3700's in place just for 2.4ghz AP's and using the R7000's as 5Ghz AP's or should I just remove all the wndr's entirely and run 2.4 and 5 at the same time on the R7000's?

Thanks again for any input!

I'll estimate that you're splitting hairs... the performance constraints are likely
  • ISP speed, Internet loads
  • Goodness of client devices
  • Choosing/changing wifi channels due to habits of neighbors in HD video streaming
But if WiFi is used only by handheld devices, likely a non-issue as these devices by nature are not heavy loads

1. Yes, use AP mode. The LAN-to-LAN cascade method is becoming extinct with newer routers as the newer routers offer "AP mode". See netgear documentation for AP mode.

2. Use AP mode. You already have the Ethernet so no need for wireless bridging. AP mode is better.

3. Use non-overlapping channels.
AP1=upper channels
AP2=lower channels

I'll estimate that you're splitting hairs... the performance constraints are likely
  • ISP speed, Internet loads
  • Goodness of client devices
  • Choosing/changing wifi channels due to habits of neighbors in HD video streaming
But if WiFi is used only by handheld devices, likely a non-issue as these devices by nature are not heavy loads

Thank you for the reply. Yes, the majority of the clients are handheld on wireless but I do have 3 Xbox 360's and 2 PS3's running wireless as well. They are not all on at the same time though. Maximum ever on at the same time is 4 out of the 5 but most of the time it is just 3 or 2.

2.4Ghz is completely screwed for me as I literally have 27 visible SSID's that penetrate into my apartment (not counting my own). There isn't a channel that is even remotely close to clear so I have switched everything possible over to 5Ghz where I only pick up my AP's when scanning so there is just about no interference ever.

Thanks again. It is much appreciated.

Last edited:
1. Yes, use AP mode. The LAN-to-LAN cascade method is becoming extinct with newer routers as the newer routers offer "AP mode". See netgear documentation for AP mode.

2. Use AP mode. You already have the Ethernet so no need for wireless bridging. AP mode is better.

3. Use non-overlapping channels.
AP1=upper channels
AP2=lower channels

Thanks so much for the reply. I am going to get everything set up over the weekend so getting the info I need now is greatly appreciated!

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!