What's new

MerlinAU MerlinAU v1.2.5 - The Ultimate Firmware Auto-Updater (Now available in AMTM)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Something tells me you've never been thru WHQL certs - this applies to drivers and firmware updates that are made through Windows update.

Again, it seems like it is all on the vendor to test and submit their results to Microsoft in order to get them signed off and out the door with Windows Updates.

WHQL Cert Process
To obtain a Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL) release signature, a driver package must be tested with the Windows Hardware Certification Kit (HCK) to ensure compatibility with Microsoft Windows:
  • Install the HCK
  • Run the Driver Test Manager (DTM) to test the driver package
  • Review the results of the automated tests
  • Submit the results to Microsoft
The test process consists of running a number of automated tests (using the Windows Hardware Certification Kit, or HCK), reviewing the results, and then submitting the results to Microsoft. After passing the tests, Microsoft signs the associated drivers.

Last edited:
If Creative Labs can get WHQL certification, then anyone can - it's hardly a badge of quality and reliability.
Hey don't knock my SoundBlaster(tm)!

I also like my Soundblaster Z, but I swear, their drivers have always been among the worst I have installed on my PCs over the years.
That's because you need to set IRQ=5 in the SYSTEM.INI... :p

I've been clear on my position - I have no issues with notifications that an update is available, and allow the user to apply or not...

I also acknowledge that this project exists because there is a significant majority of users that do not monitor when updates are released, and even then, don't apply updates...

MerlinAU Version 1.2.2 released.

What's Changed/Fixed?:

PR: #236 - Fix/Patch Cron Estimates
I noticed a bug with the default cron schedule (0 0 * * *) where if an update was detected the estimated runtime was not calculated.

PR: #237 - Fix for the cron job "0 0 * * *" calculation. (Thanks @Martinski4GitHub)!
Martinski identified a better way to resolve the bug, and pushed it in this PR.

We highly recommend you update to this version whenever possible.

Significant screenshots:
GUI and feature-set remains the same, only behind the scene bug fixes and improvements.

For news on Gnuton support, Gnuton just released his 388.7.1 firmware yesterday. (Same time as I got my RT-AX92U Gnuton router setup)
The timing worked out, I managed to get lots of movement done and testing done on the Gnuton branch now that I have my hands on the hardware.

So far MerlinAU has been tested on these Gnuton devices:

-RT-AX82U_V1
-TUF-AX5400_V1
-RT-AX3000_V2
-RT-AX92U

I identified some issues which need to be resolved on the Gnuton branch and opened a PR here: https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/pull/600
Which means MerlinAU will again need to wait for the next firmware release unfortunately to fully support Gnuton. (That's where the timing could of been a bit better)

However with that said I have a few Gnuton testers and a Gnuton router so I can pretty much see the light at the end of the tunnel and can say with a high degree of confidence that Gnuton support will be included soon.
Some photos below for the curious:

1718093355610.png

1718093962561.png

1718093689138.png

1718093714120.png

1718093732178.png

MerlinAU Version 1.2.3 released.

What's Changed/Fixed?:

PR: #240 - Code improvements when stopping services
Some code improvements when trying to unmount Diversion & stop Entware services. (Thanks @Martinski4GitHub)!

PR: #242 - Improvements on Changelog Check Behavior
I identified a very unlikely scenario with the changelog check behavior. Resolved it in this PR.

This update is very small, and not mission critical if left outdated on 1.2.2.
However we still highly recommend you update to this version whenever possible.

Significant screenshots:
GUI and feature-set remains the same, only behind the scene bug fixes and improvements.

Hi @ExtremeFiretop awhile back we had a wee discussion about MerlinAU helping ensure remote updates were done "locally" off the Router's USB, circumventing potential VPN connection issues.

I have a wee request for an advanced option, to allow the user to manually (e.g. using WinSCP remotely) put a zip file with e.g. beta FW in it, in the MerlinAU update Dir (or some other one designated for manual updates is OK too), then allow the user to update the FW from that file via an advanced menu option in MerlinAU.

I ask as a recent RDP session kept kicking me out when I was trying to update the FW remotely, which hasn't been an issue in the past. I am using Tailscale as my VPN.

I appreciate that unlike the automatic download of the correct files with all the checks and balances by MerlinAU, there is a potential here for someone to place the incorrect file in the directory I mention above, but that would be user risk.

Do you think you might consider this option?

Hi @ExtremeFiretop awhile back we had a wee discussion about MerlinAU helping ensure remote updates were done "locally" off the Router's USB, circumventing potential VPN connection issues.

I have a wee request for an advanced option, to allow the user to manually (e.g. using WinSCP remotely) put a zip file with e.g. beta FW in it, in the MerlinAU update Dir (or some other one designated for manual updates is OK too), then allow the user to update the FW from that file via an advanced menu option in MerlinAU.

I ask as a recent RDP session kept kicking me out when I was trying to update the FW remotely, which hasn't been an issue in the past. I am using Tailscale as my VPN.

I appreciate that unlike the automatic download of the correct files with all the checks and balances by MerlinAU, there is a potential here for someone to place the incorrect file in the directory I mention above, but that would be user risk.

Do you think you might consider this option?

I see a few issues with this idea.

One is the user risk involved as you mentioned, the second is the fact that MerlinAU is not designed to flash betas or alphas and this could be a way to circumvent that original design goal.
Finally MerlinAU is supposed to 100% automate the process so it can be set and forget, but at that point of copying betas into a directory via WinSCP and using some advanced MerlinAU options, you are getting pretty close to manually flashing anyways with limited benefits of the safeties MerlinAU provides.

This Tailscale thing sound similar to something that was reported on the Gnuton firmware, where Tailscale was being shutdown in the flash process.
Keep in mind for safety MerlinAU kills all processes and then unmounts/ejects the USB once entware is unloaded. As I mentioned to the other user, the firmware on the router will be updated whether or not you are connected to it over VPN/RDP.

This means tailscale is not requirement to update at a distance, you may not be able to see the update process since you won't be connected, but it should be able to run all the same.

Last edited:
This means tailscale is not requirement to update at a distance, you may not be able to see the update process since you won't be connected, but it should be able to run all the same.
Understood, but in my case I was trying to update from a WinPC, using the WebAdmin GUI. with the beta FW downloaded locally on that PC.

I just needed (or used) Tailscale to RDP in so I could do that. I d/l the FW files to the remote PC as I am concerned uploads from the local PC to the remote WebAdmin might fail badly if the connection drops.

I fully undertstand the reasons for being hesitatnt about the request; no problem, just thought that you have a great framework for it, it made sense, but no biggie if not.

[EDIT] Of course the approach I currently use needs a remote PC that you can run the WebGUI on, rather than a simple connectiuon to the router, hence why MerlinAU was so attractive as a concept, takes out that requirement and a layer of complexity.

Last edited:
MerlinAU Version 1.2.4 released.

What's Changed/Fixed?:

PR: #245 - Some code improvements. (Thanks @Martinski4GitHub)!
Some small general code improvements and cleanup

PR: #246 - Skip Tailscale Daemon Shutdown
This is a new feature which allows MerlinAU to run interactively over a Tailscale SSH connection.
Previously MerlinAU would shutdown all Entware services including Tailscale, this setting is controllable in the Advanced options.
Keep in mind this means that when the update starts, Tailscale (if installed) and Diversion (if installed... For now...) will still be running.

PR: #248 - Code improvements WRT Entware services. (Thanks @Martinski4GitHub)!
This PR includes some code improvements when stopping/starting Entware services.

Special shout-out to @jksmurf to all the help testing the Tailscale functionality.
As always, we highly recommend you update ASAP as this includes lots of functional improvements and little bug fixes.

Significant screenshots:
1719578565399.png

Last edited:
Just successfully flashed my GT-BE98 Pro to the full release of v3006.102.1 using the latest release of MerlinAU without issue:

1719632926185.png

1719632932211.png

1719632951651.png

Just successfully flashed my GT-BE98 Pro to the full release of v3006.102.1 using the latest release of MerlinAU without issue:

View attachment 59851
View attachment 59852
View attachment 59854
I tried to do the same, but it attempted to run a backup with BACKUPMON — the backup failed becasue the destination network share could not be mounted. I was aware of the issues with BACKUPMON, but I was not aware that MerlinAU would attempt to automatically backup before attempting the upgrade — GREAT FEATURE. I aborted MerlinAU, and I updated manually to Merlin 3006.102.1. Post-update, BACKUPMON still fails to mount the network share (CIFS 3.02 on Synology NAS, which worked from GT-AX6000 with Merlin 3007.7). I'll need to engage @Viktor Jaep...

I tried to do the same, but it attempted to run a backup with BACKUPMON — the backup failed becasue the destination network share could not be mounted. I was aware of the issues with BACKUPMON, but I was not aware that MerlinAU would attempt to automatically backup before attempting the upgrade — GREAT FEATURE. I aborted MerlinAU, and I updated manually to Merlin 3006.102.1. Post-update, BACKUPMON still fails to mount the network share (CIFS 3.02 on Synology NAS, which worked from GT-AX6000 with Merlin 3007.7). I'll need to engage @Viktor Jaep...

Just as an FYI, you could of simply disabled Auto-Backups from MerlinAU:

1719634070463.png