What's new

MerlinAU MerlinAU v1.2.6 - The Ultimate Firmware Auto-Updater (**Thread closed due to age**)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks @ExtremeFiretop, it was really set to 0.
FW update check interval is ok, but installing is postponed some days, when I set it to 0.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240722_080428_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240722_080428_Gallery.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20240722_080752_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240722_080752_Gallery.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 18
Thanks @ExtremeFiretop, it was really set to 0.
FW update check interval is ok, but installing is postponed some days, when I set it to 0.

Hi! Please send your cron schedule as mentioned in the original reply.

Thanks!

@Ubimo I believe you may want to review the below messages as this may be applicable to your situation:

The cron schedule isn't just how often the script checks for updates, it's how often the script runs at all, if you make it run only once a week it will wait a week before checking again.

• We also changed the default schedule from: Every SUNDAY:
    Code:
    0 0 * * Sun
    To EVERYDAY:
    Code:
    0 0 * * *
The original schedule of every Sunday wasn't ideal for a new user that doesn't understand all the features and switches yet.

Thanks for the heads up, cron schedule is
Code:
0 0 * * Sun
Now I understand.

No worries, I figured you may have missed that post. Happy to know it's figured out.

We did change the default cron, but didn't change people's cron that were already set so you would of had to manually update the cron to a daily schedule.
Once the cron is set daily, you'll notice the calculations reflect an update happening same day with a zero delay.

I may remove the word "Check" from the "Update Check Schedule"

They should switch to the stable master branch first:
Bash:
/jffs/scripts/MerlinAU.sh stable

And then do a "forced update" just for good measure:
Bash:
/jffs/scripts/MerlinAU.sh forceupdate
Just as a friendly reminder to users:

Due to the previous mistake (mentioned above) while deploying MerlinAU 1.2.6.
I had switched things around in the "dev" branch.

Mentioned here below:
Anyone that downloaded 1.2.6, please do a "forced updated" to get back to the master branch.
While they currently match and are no different, that won't be the case once we start working on the next release.
This was so a user who "force updated" normally through the regular menu, would end up on the "main" branch anyways. (Without the need to run the above steps mentioned by Martinski.)
However, this change was temporary until we picked up development again and only while the "dev" and "main" branches were identical. I am now posting and advising that I will be picking up development again, and will be changing the "dev" flag back in the development branch.

This means anyone who may have updated to 1.2.6 early without doing a "forced update" up until this point, will be now required to run the above steps mentioned by Martinski to get back to the main branch.
Thanks again and sorry for the mix-up!

will be now required to run the above steps mentioned by Martinski to get back to the main branch.
I did that forced update at the time but is there a way to easily see which branch you are now on so you know it ‘stuck’? Preferably from within the menu accessed via amtm?

I did that forced update at the time but is there a way to easily see which branch you are now on so you know it ‘stuck’? Preferably from within the menu accessed via amtm?

As long as you did the forced update your on stable.

I've changed things back around in the dev branch, so if you were on dev, you would see version 1.2.7 available instead of 1.2.6

If you run the dev commands now, it would download v1.2.7 in development.

Last edited:

Here's one way to quickly double-check and verify what you have currently installed:
Bash:
grep -E "^SCRIPT_BRANCH=|^readonly SCRIPT_VERSION=" /jffs/scripts/MerlinAU.sh
MerlinAU_VersionInfo.jpg

Here's one way to quickly double-check and verify what you have currently installed:
Bash:
View attachment 60421

Martinski is too good, giving you all the tricks!
And just to be 100% clear, "SCRIPT_BRANCH" being "Master" is the stable branch.
if "SCRIPT_BRANCH" says "dev" then you've managed to find your way onto the development branch.

Bash:
Oh, you are a star! Thank you :)

Attachments

• Yup.jpg
    Yup.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 24
Dear developers,
A polite request:
Is it possible to include this info in the email notification?
"The firmware update is expected to occur on 2024-08-02 05:45:00."

The number of days postpone is also important, but with that extra info I know exactly when the update will occur, not needing to make calculations 🙂

Thanks in advance

And just like that my GT-AX11000 Pro automatically updated to the latest version this morning.....awesome job all!!!

Dear developers,
A polite request:
Is it possible to include this info in the email notification?
"The firmware update is expected to occur on 2024-08-02 05:45:00."

The number of days postpone is also important, but with that extra info I know exactly when the update will occur, not needing to make calculations 🙂

Thanks in advance

This is being address in PR: 280 https://github.com/ExtremeFiretop/MerlinAutoUpdate-Router/pull/280
Should be in the next release.

And just like that my GT-AX11000 Pro automatically updated to the latest version this morning.....awesome job all!!!
Both main router and node got updated flawless, pretty sick!

Happy to hear all the positive feedback of users enjoying automated updates as much as us! :)

In Option 2 "Set Router Credentials", do I need to set that for the script to function? I only want to use it for email notifications of a new release, I prefer to do the actual update myself as I only have the one router to deal with.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-04 at 5.54.09 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-04 at 5.54.09 PM.png
    155.9 KB · Views: 8
In Option 2 "Set Router Credentials", do I need to set that for the script to function? I only want to use it for email notifications of a new release.

In that case you should be using the included script with AMTM by @thelonelycoder
Mine is specifically for people that want to auto-update safely (using SHA265 checks, changelog checks, etc)

1722819906942.png

If you want MerlinAU to do the updates for you, but only manually without a schedule, you should disable the "Toggle F/W Update Check" at which point it will only update when you run option 1 manually.
If thats how you want it setup, yes you would need to use option 2 since it needs to login to the router to do the update.

1722820037765.png

If you want MerlinAU to do the updates for you, but only manually without a schedule, you should disable the "Toggle F/W Update Check" at which point it will only update when you run option 1 manually.

Note that when the user disables the "Toggle F/W Update Check" option, it effectively disables the router's built-in check for new firmware availability. The two settings are currently bound together.

IMO, the better strategy is to set the number of postponement days to the current maximum of 60 days and leave the "Toggle F/W Update Check" option ENABLED. This allows you to still get F/W Update notifications when a new F/W version becomes available, and also gives you enough time (i.e. 2 months) to decide when to manually do the F/W update.

MerlinAU_PostponementDays.jpg

My 2 cents.

postponement days to the current maximum of 60 days

View attachment 60764

And just like that this sentence is no longer valid ;) Why you lying Martinski?
Haha JK, he just submitted a PR to increase the maximum to 199 days from 60. Incase that's what you would like to do:

(**Thread closed due to age**)​

NEW THREAD: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/m...imate-firmware-auto-updater-amtm-addon.91326/

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!