What's new

MerlinAU MerlinAU v1.2.6 - The Ultimate Firmware Auto-Updater (**Thread closed due to age**)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I see that now! 🙄 I should have know that you had it covered...

We think of *almost* everything around here ;)
Currently checking into the BACKUPMON stuff, last time it was some missing options from the kernel, but I thought that was handled so I'm starting from zero again.

We think of *almost* everything around here ;)
Currently checking into the BACKUPMON stuff, last time it was some missing options from the kernel, but I thought that was handled so I'm starting from zero again.
That was the conlusion that @Viktor Jaep and @RMerlin came to earlier...

I was the one that originally reported the missing kernel findings to Viktor since he doesn't have a BE router: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...vailable-for-wifi-7-devices.90487/post-913981
He then reported to RMerlin to investigate :)

According to @RMerlin the way to check it now is with:

Code:
zcat /proc/config.gz | grep CONFIG_CRYPTO_MD4

Which does give me the expected output:

1719635201743.png

It also addresses the original report to Viktor and RMerlin on the missing cifs module.
So must be something else now.

Attachments

• 1719635086395.png
    1719635086395.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 25
If you are trying to make a backup before upgrading to the final release then it will fail - the kernel module was only fixed after the beta 1 release.

If you are trying to make a backup before upgrading to the final release then it will fail - the kernel module was only fixed after the beta 1 release.
I have already successfully upgraded to 3006.106.1 final. Post-upgrade, BACKUPMON still fails to mount my network share — the same share worked with BACKUPMON on prior GT-AX6000 with latest Merlin firmware available at the time.

Let’s hope that @GNUton has the time to rebase and push an update or a release for the GT-BE98 ;)

MerlinAU Version 1.2.5 released.

What's Changed/Fixed?:

BUG FIX:
-As reported by @dorner365 on our Github here: #253
In instances where a user had an AiMesh node paired but offline, it would block MerlinAU from running on the primary router. This has been resolved in commit: c94d0a3

-PR: #254 - Diversion Service Shutdown Updates from 5.2
With a report made to @thelonelycoder some changes were made to how diversion unmounts and shutdowns. This has been updated and factored into MerlinAU, so you can rest assured all Diversion code is safely unloaded at the time of the update.

BUG FIX: -PR: #255 - Fix Checksum Verification
Due to changes to @RMerl s checksum webpage, the Checksum validation could fail, this has been resolved with this PR.

-PR: #256 - Minor code changes
Some small general code improvements and cleanup (Thanks @Martinski4GitHub)!

-PR: #257 - Additional Fixes to get list of F/W file SHA256 signatures
Fixed a bug in the new command expression from PR 255, where the very first SHA256 signature was removed.
Modified command to make it a bit less dependent on possible future HTML formatting changes. (Thanks @Martinski4GitHub)!

As always, we highly recommend you update ASAP as this includes lots of functional improvements and little bug fixes.

Significant screenshots:
(Only change is to wording on the Advanced Menu screen)
1719814566226.png

Last edited:
MerlinAU Version 1.2.6 released.

What's Changed/Fixed?:
-PR: #260 - Include Help, About, Force Update, Stable, and Dev Commands.
This PR includes new functionality to MerlinAU. This PR adds new commands when called directly to MerlinAU, including, "help", "about", "forceupdate", "stable" and "develop" commands.

Examples below:

Code:
/jffs/scripts/MerlinAU.sh about

1720306370053.png

Code:
/jffs/scripts/MerlinAU.sh help

1720306375850.png

As well as a new menu option (always displayed) to force update MerlinAU if required:

1720306389163.png

The "develop" and "stable" commands allow you to quickly switch between my stable branch and me and Martinski's active development branch, this allows for easy and quick testing when required, be aware at times our development branch is unstable or buggy. You have been warned.

Code:
/jffs/scripts/MerlinAU.sh develop

1720306416352.png

-PR: #261 - A fix & some refactoring changes for PR 260
Unfortunately, due to the fact that Martinski's Github account is currently offgrid due to being flagged. I cannot pull up the PR or the specifics, but if i remember correctly, it was to condense some code and fix a minor bug I made in PR 260. (Thanks @Martinski )

-PR: #262 -"Update" Menu Behavior
This PR was to not "jump the gun" on the new "update" menu option from PR 260, previously it would automatically update as soon as you hit "up" while no updates were available.
Now it confirms if you would like to continue with the forced update.

1720306445015.png

BUG FIX: -PR: #263 - ValidatePrivateIPv4Address Bug Fix
While testing the Gnuton branch with my AX92U setup as a Gnuton node, I identified a bug with the ValidatePrivateIPv4Address function, this bug would cause some nodes to not be found by MerlinAU.

As always, we highly recommend you update ASAP as this includes lots of functional improvements and little bug fixes.

Significant screenshots:
Reference above.

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

My apologies, with the change to allow development and stable branchs of MerlinAU mentioned above, there was also a change in release procedure, which I missed on the last release of 1.2.6.
This means anyone that updated to 1.2.6 will be receiving updates from the dev branch. (the dev flag wasn't changed)

Anyone that downloaded 1.2.6, please do a "forced updated" to get back to the master branch.
While they currently match and are no different, that won't be the case once we start working on the next release.

Hey everyone!

My apologies, with the change to allow development and stable branchs of MerlinAU mentioned above, there was also a change in release procedure, which I missed on the last release of 1.2.6.
This means anyone that updated to 1.2.6 will be receiving updates from the dev branch. (the dev flag wasn't changed)

Anyone that downloaded 1.2.6, please do a "forced updated" to get back to the master branch.

They should switch to the stable master branch first:
Bash:
/jffs/scripts/MerlinAU.sh stable

And then do a "forced update" just for good measure:
Bash:
/jffs/scripts/MerlinAU.sh forceupdate

They should switch to the stable master branch first:
Bash:
/jffs/scripts/MerlinAU.sh stable

And then do a "forced update" just for good measure:
Bash:
/jffs/scripts/MerlinAU.sh forceupdate
Just updated router plus two AiMesh nodes, TWICE. Better safe than sorry! ;)

Hello, why is the FW update scheduled for 07-28, when the setting update postponement day is set to 0?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240721_153716_JuiceSSH.jpg
    Screenshot_20240721_153716_JuiceSSH.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 22
Hello, why is the FW update scheduled for 07-28, when the setting update postponement day is set to 0?

Please include higher resolution screenshots from a computer , or zoom in if possible.
The forums lose quality, and I can barely read anything.

ZOOMING in as close as I can, it looks like an 8, not a 0.

1721570634096.png

Also, check your CRON schedule under the advanced options. (ad)

1721570706932.png

1721570711615.png

A USB drive is not required. A USB drive is so you can keep a version of the firmware offline in a disaster situation.
Hi, was just attempting an update on a node that runs Merlin and which, when I originally set it up, had a USB thumb drive configured.

I decided to remove the drive and went into the advanced menu looking to change the path to none, but I can’t for the life of me see such an option. The FAQ Q21 only refers to installations without a USB but does not elaborate on changing from a path to a USB to having no USB at all, that I can find?

I tried to just hit enter at the path screen, but it retained the previous path. Should I put in something here that will cancel the USB path?

Did I miss it?

Attachments

• IMG_1502.jpeg
    IMG_1502.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1503.jpeg
    IMG_1503.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1504.jpeg
    IMG_1504.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Hi, was just attempting an update on a node that runs Merlin and which, when I originally set it up, had a USB thumb drive configured.

I decided to remove the drive and went into the advance menu looking to change the path to none, but I can’t for the life of me see such an option. The FAQ Q21 only refers to installations without a USB but does not elaborate on changing from a paty to a USB to no USB at all, that I can find?

I tried to just hit enter at the path screen, but it retained the previous path. Should I put in something here that will cancel the USB path?

Did I miss it?

"None" is not a valid choice. Where do you want it to store the Firmware file?
If it's not on the USB, you must pick a local path, such as: /home/root/

"None" is not a valid choice. Where do you want it to store the Firmware file?
If it's not on the USB, you must pick a local path, such as: /home/root/
OK ta.

Is there a default for the options without USB ? I’d imagine so, as that is a possible selection?

OK ta.

Is there a default for the options without USB ? I’d imagine so, as that is a possible selection?

Yes without the USB at install it defaults to that location (home/root) but we leave the choice up to the user where they would like to store the files, both on the USB and without a USB.

What your seeing is normal to what I can see in the code if it's configured for a USB path and that USB is not available it will error out and not attempt to update until either the USB is restored or the path is updated. 😁

Yes without the USB at install it defaults to that location (home/root) but we leave the choice up to the user where they would like to store the files, both on the USB and without a USB.

What your seeing is normal to what I can see in the code if it's configured for a USB path and that USB is not available it will error out and not attempt to update until either the USB is restored or the path is updated. 😁
Okey dokey, might I be so bold as to suggest that there is an option added (for folks like me) for no USB (after someone originally had a path for such an animal) or that the user is prompted to type /home/root/ for no USB. 🙏

Okey dokey, might I be so bold as to suggest that there is an option added (for folks like me) for no USB (after someone originally had a path for such an animal) or that the user is prompted to type /home/root/ for no USB. 🙏

Yes we can surely make that option a bit more user friendly. Our concern was a USB being configured which then died without the user being aware.

In such a situation we didn't want to auto-select something for the user, we wanted them to fix the path or the USB to continue.

But surely we can add some extra clarification around that in the next update.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!