What's new

My asus 87u is very hot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

unlike the ac68u the position of the heatsink and grill makes it harder to cool. There are laptop coolers that you can place below that move the air out from below the laptop and blows it out the side. i used to have such a cooler.

Or as someone mentioned you can just turn it upside down.

If it is possible, replacing the thermal pads/thermal paste and properly aligning them and placing the heatsink on properly may yield good results. make sure that this is done for the wifi chips too.

Heat causes unstable wifi so for the most stable wifi it is best to keep your wifi chips below 50C While the broadcom's CPU itself should be below 90 (60-70 is good). Having high temperatures can cause instabilities and also lead to your router dying early. Many manufacturers do not mind the high temperatures as long as they operate below the max safe in order to get you buying a new one every year.

hi all My Asus 87u is very very hot when i touch it on the top of it... skould it be really hot that way ?

tthe temps are on that file.. im not sure is that normal ?
My temps on rt-ac87u are 45 on 2.4ghz 50 on 5ghz 90 on cpu

Actually seeing that both his chips are having unusually high temperatures, I wonder if it's not something specific to his environment, such as insufficient airflow in the router's location.

OP didn't mention ambient air temps - if free space is 40C*, then the temps might be reasonable - in any event, while close to Tmax, it's not exceeding it.

* 40C == 104F, which was the temp here in my area of San Diego today, no AC here... unusually warm here, but we're a global community, and some areas get even hotter...

points of interest - ambient being 40C today - my arm device reports 58.0'C, and it's idle, my little braswell NUC - 46.0°C

IIRC - earlier 87U did have some issues where the HS didn't fit squarely on the Broadcom and Quantenna SOC's - can't find it now, and I don't have references in my notebook on that particular item. Something to check perhaps.

While the broadcom's CPU itself should be below 90 (60-70 is good). Having high temperatures can cause instabilities and also lead to your router dying early

The broadcom SoC is actually rated to 120C if I recall - and that's on the die...

But it's the rest of the board - caps/resistors, and mostly the electrolytic caps where temps can have an issue if not spec'ed right.

Even then, engineering has a thermal budget to work with, and that's why one sees operating thermal ranges, which assume ambient air temps.

So while a device might seem "warm" subjectively, might not matter if the device is within it's working range as designed.

工人 - Chinese for engineer - which is different from the Western Perspective, but trust me, most Chinese Engineers do care, and do their best, just like anywhere...

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!