What's new

New Asus RT-87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for sharing and congratulations on your new equipment purchase.

Once you don't have SSH/Telnet access, does this pages exists on your original FW? If yes you will see it all, CPU, Memory, etc and Syslog.

http://192.168.1.1/Tools_Sysinfo.asp

http://192.168.1.1/Main_LogStatus_Content.asp

It looks like AC87 is not confidencial anymore, is out now.

It started being selled today on a local reseller here in Europe for 219€.

The PSU deliveres more power then the AC68U, 19V/2.37A now, that would be 45W power max, we hope thats not near the power consumption of AC87R, there are Mini-ITX systems with I3 CPU's and alot more power horse doing less then 30W, so that seems abusive IMO if the case.

Note: Now "we" would like to see the insides of it... :p

Thank you.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing and congratulations on your new equipment purchase.

Once you don't have SSH/Telnet access, does this pages exists on your original FW? If yes you will see it all, CPU, Memory, etc and Syslog.

http://192.168.1.1/Tools_Sysinfo.asp

http://192.168.1.1/Main_LogStatus_Content.asp

It looks like AC87 is not confidencial anymore, is out now.

More like Best Buy ignored the intended release date.

I won't go into too much details until the intended July 20th date. BB might be ignoring Asus's requirements, but I'm not. :) After July 20th, I will post some pc board photos.

Tools_Sysinfo page does not exist on stock firmware...

That's nice, thank you. I didn't know the release was July 20th date, it seems 5 days wouldn't hurt so much, the router was released today on other places either.

Unless someone from Asus tells me "go ahead and spill everything out", I'll stick to that and wait - sorry.

I was not speaking about you, i was refearing to other stores that already started selling the router.

what is the price?

can somebody pls tell me dimensions of this router and if it can be mounted on the wall?

$269.99 USD...6.5-inches x 11.5-inches x 2-inches w/4 antennas @ 7-inches long...looks like it is made to sit flat, but there are two recessed screw hole areas in the back that could be used to hang it from a wall, if you wanted to.

I thought it was AC-2350 not AC-2400, what's with the AC-2400?
(I understand why there's an R on the end instead of the U)

ASUS AC 2400 nvram get clkfreq

It returns: 1000,800 after entering the command:
nvram get clkfreq

One thing that I ran into was some of my wireless cameras were incompatible at the factory settings so I had to change the wireless encryption to include TKIP.
Its an easy fix but it took some time to figure out.
The smart Qos is really neat. It shows realtime network traffic for every device on the network. You can easily prioritize each application too. Very simple. $269 at BestBuy in Raleigh, NC. I had no idea that its not out yet but so far I'm glad I got it.

Most definitely out here in NorCal BestBuy as well (San Carlos, CA).

Waiting for reviews on both R8000 vs RT-87U... hurry up folks with the review :)

Otherwise I'll have to do my buy both then return routine, which is painful for both me & retailer :)

Keep in mind that the R8000 and RT-AC87U are two different devices. First one is dual 3x3, second one is MU-MIMO 4x4.

The RT-AC3200 is what will be the direct competitor to the R8000.

Thanks for the link sir.

Looks like, most people will find it not really worth upgrading their routers at this time then? (or i understood this article wrong).

The way i see it, R7000 , AC68U, and similar routers (under $200) are more then enough, and really can offer the speeds \ performance that is on the box? (or i am totally lost? :eek: )

I saw R7000 on sale today @ Staples - while i was getting paper for my printer :) @ $179.99

Now.. this article really makes me wonder if i want to spend over $300 on new Asus or Netgear at all. :rolleyes: :cool:

Keep in mind that the R8000 and RT-AC87U are two different devices. First one is dual 3x3, second one is MU-MIMO 4x4.

The RT-AC3200 is what will be the direct competitor to the R8000.

Thank you for clarifying . I know it might sound dump but i still don't know which one is suitable for dozen 2x2 and 1x1 devices in-terms of speed + best usb share performance ac2400 or ac3200 !

Houston, we have a problem on my Asus AC2400

Im hoping the firmware update will sort this out but as of now my Samsung Tab S 10.4 won't connect to the Internet. It does connect to the wireless network however just can't go to websites (weird I know)
I changed all the encryption settings and still nothing. I guess since this router isn't officially
out its to be expected to have a few bugs

Im hoping the firmware update will sort this out but as of now my Samsung Tab S 10.4 won't connect to the Internet. It does connect to the wireless network however just can't go to websites (weird I know)
I changed all the encryption settings and still nothing. I guess since this router isn't officially
out its to be expected to have a few bugs

Change your encryption to TKIP, that will fix your problem.

That is indeed useful information, thank you. I was jsut about to jump on the AC87, but after reading this, I think I will go for one of the AC3200 routers (either the upcoming Asus or the Netgear R8000). Just makes more sense.

Could you please explain (or at least) provide more details on why you think this (i am confused as well with my decisions - so, you might help me understand all this better - thanks!)

:D

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online