What's new

New home, I need advice on wireless/cable network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AshCation

New Around Here
Hello guys, my dad is building a new house and we want the best wireless/cable coverage possible, its a 280m² = 3013.9ft² house , 2 floors. I have basically 3 options:

1) 2 routers , 1 downstairs , 1 upstairs , second router is connected with the first by LAN->LAN , extending both the wireless signal and cable signal.

Router 1 Location: corridor between the rooms.

Connections: ROOM1,ROOM2,ROOM3, and the other router upstairs.

Router 1 Location: corridor between TV ROOM and OFFICE.

Connections: OFFICE, TV ROOM,RECREATION AREA, and the other router downstairs.

2) 3 routers , 2 downstairs , 1 upstaris

I dont know if this setup will work , I dont know if I need to connect 2 routers with the first by LAN->LAN or if I can connect the second router by LAN->LAN with the first then the second router by LAN-LAN with the third.

3) 2 routers (set equal to option 1), 1 switch
With this config we can have ethernet points in all the house , like 1 in each room , but I dont know if 2 routers + 1 switch works fine , I never used a switch in my life, I think its the best option for cable coverage and good wireless signal , but its the most expensive too, I want to know if its a good option and if its works.

Below is the plant of the house with the option 1:

http://imgur.com/m5XlqOv,IuI9ZOw#0

http://imgur.com/m5XlqOv,IuI9ZOw#1

Many thanks!

If I were you I would make sure there's one central room for managing all the connections before you start wiring the property.

From that central location, run cat5e or cat6 to every room, ideally each modern room in the house should have enough connections to serve voice and data at 2 or more outlets.. in my house I have more than 50 runs between the telecom room and the rest of property, indoors and outdoors, each room/suite typically gets 5 runs to/from the cabinet, 1 run for voice/POTS (can carry 4 circuits), 2 for data terminating on a wall (1 active 1 backup), and 2 for PoE & data terminating in the center of the ceiling of each room (1 active 1 backup).

Add the right switches to your cabinet and you will end up with a solid backbone network that is flexible and redundant in case of failure, that's why you should wire for future connections in advance while you're still building the property. Finally use PoE ceiling-mounted wireless access points instead of regular wireless routers, 1 access point in every room or where required (depends on how powerful it is), this is the way to go to cover a space of that size efficiently. To add wired connectivity in any room just through an unmanaged switch next to a wall jack and you have plenty of ports in that room.

you should check Ubiquiti while you're planning this.

What is the total budget you have for this?

With a new build like this, I would recommend multiple cable runs to a main closet (preferably not in the basement either) from each main room you want networked. Specifically, two or more runs to each room going back to a single point in the home (at least above ground is greatly preferred).

For the cost of the cable and jacks, plus a couple of new tools to make the connections and test them, you could do this yourself with the help of a couple of friends.

Planning for a specific design is almost always a mistake. Plan the network infrastructure to allow multiple configurations as deemed best at that future point in time, depending on the available devices and technologies then. Multiple cable runs to each room allow for this. Building to a specific and ultimately rigid design layout doesn't.

While I don't see anything really wrong with your option #1, that doesn't mean that the network usage and the devices employed won't change that in the future.

I don't see any elevation plans, but it may be possible that a single router can cover the property right now, including the patio or deck areas if placed centrally to the house in the corner of the second floor office, for example. But just as with your option 1, there is no way I would build for this, statically.

Run cables to a common point (usually where the ISP connection is).

Use a wired or wireless router here to connect to the ISP and to a switch that connects all the runs. Note that you do not have to connect every run you make here. Just need the possibility to connect them in the future.

With the house fully constructed and furnished, you can now decide easily where the best location is for your wireless AP('s), taking into consideration the devices that need to connect. No guess work involved and you can change things at a moments notice very easily.

With the main devices on the wired Ethernet LAN, the work required by the wireless AP's will be greatly reduced and therefore extend the performance to the devices that actually do require wireless access. This will always be true, even as new wireless technologies become available in the future. And will allow you to get more devices for more even coverage, by not having to buy the highest performing examples of each.

Thanks for the answer guys.

I dont have a total budget right now because since I live in another country (not EU/USA) its really difficult to find the right parts/hardware , you guys can buy a Ubiquiti AP for $65 , I need to pay $180 :(

Based on the posts looks like the best alternative (and most expensive one) is to wire all rooms , setup a router + switch in a good place , and then put 1-3 APs depending on their power in some key areas.

If I cant find Ubiquiti AP , I can buy Tp-link,Cisco,D-Link,Asus AP or routers ? I mean , routers and AP will do the same job in this case?

Thanks for the help!

Total budget doesn't depend on the country you live. Simply look in your pockets, to see how much spare cash you can throw at this project.

Do not proceed without a plan. That is when you'll make expensive and maybe irreversible mistakes.

The parts you are considering won't make up for any deficiencies in the base network infrastructure you build into the home.

While a router can do the job of an AP, the reverse isn't true and may limit to what you really want the network to do in the end.

I would be looking more at consumer routers myself than anything semi-pro. You will be able to keep up with technology easier and probably spend less money doing so with consumer products.

Even if you consider putting in an Asus RT-AC56U in every 'important' room you want full wifi coverage in, it will be cheaper and probably give you better coverage than one or two top end routers or AP's from any manufacturer today will.

I understand that in your part of the universe, the costs are tripled. But that implies that it will be constant no matter what class of devices you buy into.

Again; bang for the buck, consumer routers that can be used in almost any way needed like the RT-AC56U and RMerlin firmware is very hard to beat.

Yes , 2 consumer routers like Asus RT-N56U (I already have 1) is alot cheaper than 1-2 very good AP , and indeed is more within my pocket , I only need to see how powerful this kind of router is compared to a AP.

Keep in mind that with multiple APs (or routers converted to AP), the performance of each one isn't as important as having only one router.

As OPs have noted, having Ethernet drops at the right places and home-run to a central point where your ISP service will come in is the key thing at the pre-construction point. I did that in my home build and missed a key run to the attic space (more for TV OTA antenna vs. networking). Having a good-sized plastic conduit running between floors that you can pull cable through later is also handy.

No, you have a blank slate with infinite options.

You're building a new house. If you were building an estate with multiple buildings and a lot of land then the planning would be important and this would not be the place for that.

What you need are multiple outlets (coax and cat6, even dual coax outlets - with 2 actual wires - in some rooms) all around the property so you can do everything you imagine today and everything you don't imagine at this time. If it's really big, you might consider the ability for power over ethernet capability for sophisticated wireless access points installed like smoke detectors.

The tech that exists in 5 years will be not at all like that from today. Don't paint yourself into a corner by assuming the great routers of today are the best you will ever see. Don't think small or confined. Think in terms of outlets that will permit you do to do anything without regard to the tech of today. The tech you install is a second project. The infrastructure should be the priority.

Last edited:
Yes , 2 consumer routers like Asus RT-N56U (I already have 1) is alot cheaper than 1-2 very good AP , and indeed is more within my pocket , I only need to see how powerful this kind of router is compared to a AP.

Don't confuse the RT-AC56U that I'm recommending with the RT-N56U that you already have. Both are very good. The RT-AC56U is just infinitely better. :D

Especially on the latest RMerlin 378.50 firmware.

It has great throughput on both bands and is also an AC1200 (vs. an N300) class router too, but it actually performs above it's class. The N56U on the other hand is from another and older generation of routers that are not worth buying new anymore. But if you have one, the moonman / Padavan firmware is what makes them still great for wired routing duties.

With up to half a dozen RT-AC56U's strategically placed you can enjoy far more even coverage and about 85% of the average throughput of a network that is based on one or two much more expensive AC1900 class routers or higher, while also being cheaper too.

Commit yourself to a dollar amount and make the most of that budget by asking questions here and getting professional quotes on site too.

Any home network must have ONE router per Internet service provider. To that you can connect Access Points, client bridges, or WDS Repeaters.

Some products are multi-mode configurable as any of the above. When configured as an AP, it looks the same but is not a router.

Well, technically no. You could have a single wired device directly connect to the ISP's network. However, that would preclude any other devices from accessing that connection to the internet (short of running a router service on that one device that is connected to the internet...thus a router).

Hello guys, my dad is building a new house and we want the best wireless/cable coverage possible, its a 280m² = 3013.9ft² house , 2 floors. I have basically 3 options:

1) 2 routers , 1 downstairs , 1 upstairs , second router is connected with the first by LAN->LAN , extending both the wireless signal and cable signal.

Router 1 Location: corridor between the rooms.

Connections: ROOM1,ROOM2,ROOM3, and the other router upstairs.

Router 1 Location: corridor between TV ROOM and OFFICE.

Connections: OFFICE, TV ROOM,RECREATION AREA, and the other router downstairs.

2) 3 routers , 2 downstairs , 1 upstaris

I dont know if this setup will work , I dont know if I need to connect 2 routers with the first by LAN->LAN or if I can connect the second router by LAN->LAN with the first then the second router by LAN-LAN with the third.

3) 2 routers (set equal to option 1), 1 switch
With this config we can have ethernet points in all the house , like 1 in each room , but I dont know if 2 routers + 1 switch works fine , I never used a switch in my life, I think its the best option for cable coverage and good wireless signal , but its the most expensive too, I want to know if its a good option and if its works.

Below is the plant of the house with the option 1:

http://imgur.com/m5XlqOv,IuI9ZOw#0

http://imgur.com/m5XlqOv,IuI9ZOw#1

Many thanks!
Depending on which costs more, wireless APs or cat5/6 jacks, I would go with more wired connections. Wireless is a convenience that runs over wires first. Put the wires in place first, then you can add wireless later as you can afford it.

I would suggest if the connection is mere internet try setup using gigabit. Power line adapters

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!