What's new

New NAS + Backup for blu-ray.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bluray

New Around Here
hi all
on the last 3 months I'm following this website and forums with pleased.
i read most of the articles, and I decide to move on a NAS.
I'm looking for advice to avoid a mistake.

i have about 100 blu-rays 1:1 uncompressed (40gb) about 7TB used from 12TB available.
i have a copy of each movie in different hard drives

I'm using 2 external hard drives (6tb) serving my media player.
I'm using a htpc + xbmc with 2 internal hard drives (6tb) also used to play movies

The ripping is done in htpc, then i make a backup to my external drives that i use to play some movies.

In last couple days i try hanewin server in windows 7.
it works very well using NFS from htpc to media player both connect to home router but:

1- if hanewin sharing internal hard drive playing is very smooth 100% correct
2- if hanewin sharing is external by usb 2.0 or 3.0 the blu-ray movie shutter badly.

I'm thinking ordering a external enclosure lian-li ex503 (5 bays ) that has esata and usb 3.0, and i can see my drives individually without using the raid mode and since the lian-li is a multiplayer port, only 1 esata cable is necessary.
i also could connect the usb 3.0 to media player and use one device at the time.

Nas advice

streaming BD movies will be using NFS ONLY

option 1
1- very silent (will keep it in home theater room)
2-small max 25 cm wide (4 bays) or (2 bays)
3-able to use lain-li ex503 has backup option (jmicron chipset)
4- very fast and future proof
5- atom prefered

in my understanding a Nas is not for backup, is to serve files, a backup can be used with a DAS.

my first choice would be Qnap ts-412 but has no atom and the software support in marvell is dubious (how long QNAP will keep supporting marvell ? )
my second choice would be synology ds712+ but no support for jmicron chipset and i refuse to buy dx510 to extend storage
my third choice would be unraid but too noisy, high consume, and hassle to configurate.

the perfect choice would be a ds712+ low noise with 4 bays and micron support .

NAS budget is 400€ (500$)

Last edited:
What did you end up with.. I have huge 1080p collection too mostly music videos though rest movies and tv shows. I have them now a file server but would like to move them to their own NAS on the network.