What's new

Newbie network "hang"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Delawaredave

New Around Here
Newbie. Verizon Fios Actiontec router M1424-WR Rev F with desktop, laptop, iPad and iPhone connected wirelessly.

Several times a day the network "hangs" - web pages can't load, mail won't send, etc.

I've tried to isolate to one computer causing the problem but cannot – I leave a computer off and the network still hangs.

I talked with Verizon – they said the line is fine and replaced the router - problem still exists.

I do not know what to do or try next – would appreciate any suggestions - Thanks !

happening to PCs connected by wire as well as WiFi?
Try using laptop's Ethernet port instead of WiFi and see if that falters.
If yes, I'd suspect a DHCP fault between the router and FIOS modem.
That can be seen on the router's admin pages.

Last edited:
Sorry - when it hangs, a wired connection hangs also.

I don't know what DHCP faults are - I ll try to log into router- is there a log ?

Thanks for your help !

Last edited:
Are you doing a lot of torrent or p2p sharing? I ask because those ActionTek routers have been notorious in having limited caching and poor ability to clear their routing tables (ARP, ports/connections, etc). If it gets full, which p2p software tends to have a lot of these connections, then the router can hang. I had one, and the first thing I did with it was learn how to bridge it to my home router instead. This let the AT router become a media bridge and talk to the FIOS network, while letting my router handle the actual data going through it.

I do not do any torrents or sharing (at least not to my knowledge). Verizon guy came today - changed way internet traffic leaves router - now via coax - formerly via RJ45 Ethernet cable

Would that help?

Looks like you found the problem. It's the AT modem. I would try to bridge that to another router as I posted before. You can google this or search on DSLReports.com. I can also try to find it later.

One other thing: While going cable or Ethernet will show no difference in speed, my preference would be to put it through the Ethernet port. I think you'll get less latency from the media change and you'll also gain back your coax cable.

EDIT: Here's a post that explains the problem withe the ActionTek:

First the bad news:

After experimenting more with Roku devices and working patiently with Verizon tech support, the final conclusion for me was that Actiontec (MI424WR Rev F) is going to overflow its NAT table with multiple devices, especially those, such as Roku, that likely connect to multiple streaming servers on the WAN side (which creates several NAT entries). Even one Roku device, under moderate use, is sufficient to overflow the NAT table every few days. Any other type of streaming device that connects to several streaming content providers will cause the same problem, as will heavy web browsing that visits many different websites (one NAT entry per server visited, keeping in mind one website typically will serve content from many servers.) So even if you don't have a Roku, if the total number of devices starts to go above 10 or so, you will overflow this router's unreasonably small NAT table. The solution, of course, is to keep rebooting the router that clears the NAT table.

Possible good news:

Actiontec Rev G and Rev I both have NAT tables whose sizes are approximately 4 to 6 times larger than Rev F. Both have double the RAM of Rev F, and 4 times and 8 times, respectively, flash memory. Both are 802.11N capable, and both are gigabit routers, so your LAN side of the network may benefit as well as your wireless speeds.

I experimented with a Rev G, obtained privately, and the NAT table problem disappeared. However, this particular router did not have Verizon firmware so you'll lose functionalities such as caller id, remote dvr access, etc.

So...the best solution is to get a Rev G and Rev I from Verizon with their firmware, which will also assure you technical support, etc. Up until now, Verizon will not provide these to plans below 150/35.

However, they are now selling Rev I to those who wish to pay (approx. $115) via: http://www.verizon.com/fiosaccessories

Verizon tech support recommends those who have problems with their provided router buy this supported version.

I will receive mine tomorrow and will post results after a few weeks of usage.

(I have intentionally not addressed the issue of having to pay for this; I'd rather get it free too. I felt that if this works out, the expense is worth avoiding the hassle of frequent reboots and random interruptions in connectivity, plus I get a gigabit router and wireless-N.)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!