What's new

NTP Daemon for ASUSWRT/Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I see why the command you entered above did not work for you. Try the ls command on the directory /opt/var/spool notice the leading slash before opt. In there should be a ntp directory with the following contents after the installation is complete with any modifications for the RT-AC86U and ntpd is running.
Code:
-rw-r--r--    1 1000     1000          4904 Nov  6 15:45 Tools_NtpdStats.asp
-rw-r--r--    1 hardcat  root             6 Dec 23 07:13 ntp.drift
-rw-r--r--    1 hardcat  root           571 Dec 14 13:14 ntp.log
-rw-rw-rw-    1 hardcat  root        128320 Dec 23 07:55 stats.rrd
-rw-rw-rw-    1 hardcat  root        352519 Nov 12 09:01 stats.xml

Clearly, as you had requested previously and because the RT-AC86U requires modifications to the installation procedures provided by @kvic, a step-by-step guide is what you need.

My current configuration at this time is working and I do not want to redo it yet in order to create a step-by-step, but will certainly keep it in mind for when I do. In the mean time perhaps @JDB will get a chance to complete what he was planning once he receives his RT-AC86U.:)

Yes thank you! I am slowly trying to figure out all the steps required to make this work and if I am successful I will share them with the group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoa! It's as if you were reading my mind!! You should consider getting some lottery tickets!!

I have been thinking about it this whole week and wonder if @JDB has made any progress on the script or an installation guide he was working on a while ago.

TBH, I spent a lot of time reading and re-reading @spanjap's directions on how to covert the rrd.stats file to a 64bit one in my AC86U. Was even able to get the NTP tab showing (on the Tools of GUI) with a graph that did not generate much data and that wasn't updating. I am sure it was me not being able to follow all the details. I gave up after I heard that @JDB was working on an install script but I understand that these things take time...:)

I am also wondering if anyone has attempted such install on AX88U....

I am also looking forward to @JDB progress.

If we could have a menu item in amtm to do this, well, wow! :)

Unless @JDB objects, I wouldn't mind a new project to break up my work on YazFi....

Sure thing.

2 days after my last post in here my Son was hospitalised and has had 2 separate admissions to Paediatric ICU over the winter, so suffice to say, I haven’t had any time to work on this! Sorry everyone, I’d like to see it progressed as much as the rest of you, but I’m sure you understand.

If Jack gets it up to scratch I’ll happily continue to support the project tho. Glad to say my boy is back to full health now. I just have a mountain of work to catch up on!

Sure thing.

2 days after my last post in here my Son was hospitalised and has had 2 separate admissions to Paediatric ICU over the winter, so suffice to say, I haven’t had any time to work on this! Sorry everyone, I’d like to see it progressed as much as the rest of you, but I’m sure you understand.

If Jack gets it up to scratch I’ll happily continue to support the project tho. Glad to say my boy is back to full health now. I just have a mountain of work to catch up on!

Glad to hear he’s better!

Sure thing.

Sorry to hear about the rough times you've been through, but I'm glad to hear that your son is better now!

Sure thing.

So sorry to hear about this @JDB! I am glad that your son is doing well and I hope things are going well for you and your family!

We may have slightly more success having this wish granted if we draw @thelonelycoder 's attention to it

Agreed! I am pretty sure he has seen this by now. Jack Yaz and thelonelycoder have worked well together to bring us YazFi in amtm. This will be smooth sailing for them, I hope! :)

Agreed! I am pretty sure he has seen this by now. Jack Yaz and thelonelycoder have worked well together to bring us YazFi in amtm. This will be smooth sailing for them, I hope! :)
amtm, the SNBForum Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu

A shortcut manager for popular scripts for wireless routers running Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.
With the emphasis for popular. I don't want to overcrowd amtm with tools that are only used by a handful users.
I am not sure how many use the NTP daemon.

With the emphasis for popular. I don't want to overcrowd amtm with tools that are only used by a handful users.
I am not sure how many use the NTP daemon.

Understood. For sure I'm going to get a basic NTP server running locally for the devices on my LAN without net access eg. NAS. I'm not sure if I'll end up using the NTP daemon. Too many moving parts means more maintenance and chance things will break after firmware updates.

Also a good point.

I have now a RT-AX88U and got it running also the same way as on the RT-AX86U.
See picture. I changed the layout so that is looking different.

You need to ad:
sed -i '/"Tools_OtherSettings.asp", tabName: "Other Settings"/a {url: "Tools_NtpdStats.asp", tabName: "NTP Statistics"},' /www/require/modules/menuTree.js
mount -a
service restart_httpd

to the post-mount script.
Copy ntpd, ntpdc and ntpq from entware sbin directory to jffs/bin because of the 64 bit.

Attachments

• Knipsel.JPG
    Knipsel.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
Please make sure you have S77ntpd containing:
#!/bin/sh

ENABLED=yes
PROCS=ntpd
ARGS="-c /opt/etc/ntp.conf -f /opt/var/spool/ntp/ntp.drift -s /opt/var/spool/ntp -k /opt/etc/ntp -l /opt/var/spool/ntp/ntp.log"
PREARGS=""
DESC=$PROCS
PATH=/opt/sbin:/opt/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

. /opt/etc/init.d/rc.func

Of course you need the correct files in the spool directory. Don't use the S77ntpd-custom one. Just delete it if you have that one.

I have now a RT-AX88U and got it running also the same way as on the RT-AX86U.
See picture. I changed the layout so that is looking different.

You need to ad:
sed -i '/"Tools_OtherSettings.asp", tabName: "Other Settings"/a {url: "Tools_NtpdStats.asp", tabName: "NTP Statistics"},' /www/require/modules/menuTree.js
mount -a
service restart_httpd

to the post-mount script.
Copy ntpd, ntpdc and ntpq from entware sbin directory to jffs/bin because of the 64 bit.

Haha, top left. Nice touch. :p

Small sticking point, the necessity to clone /www for custom page + images. Not sure how that will play with FreshJR for example

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!