What's new

One XP Pro Machine + Two wireless cards => Possible???

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

apinunw

New Around Here
Please accept my apology if this Q is a FAQ.

My system is as follows

Router #1 (Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 as WAN+AP)
DHCP enabled

Router #2 (Asus WL-520gu as AP for IP cameras)
DHCP enabled

Both are with different SSID and channel. All computers in my house can access Internet via Router #1. However my CCTV computer cannot access Internet and connect to my IP cameras at the same time.

I have

wireless connection #1 (Netgear WPGS606=>Router #1)
TCP/IP obtained an IP address automatically

wireless connection #2 (Netgear WG111v2=>Router #2)
manully assigned
default gateway => blank

Is is possible that this computer can access Internet and be able to connect to all my IP cameras at the same time? Thanks in advance.

AW

Why are you using a separate router for the IP cameras?

You need to set the gateway and DNS for the WG111v2 card to be the same as you are getting for the WPGS606 card.

I used to set 2 routers as WDS+AP (both are installed with tomato) but I cannot maximize fps for each camera. My WL-520gu is on the first floor and my Buffalo locates on the second floor.

All 3 IP cameras (BL-C131A) are on the first floor as well. If they all connect to WL-520gu, each can have 10-12 fps. But sometimes 1 or 2 or 3 of my cameras switch to connect to Buffalo router and fps drops to 3-5.

Actually I want to go back to WDS+AP because I can access all cameras via Internet as well. But I don't know how to ask each camera to stick with only WL-520gu.

Last edited:
Actually I want to go back to WDS+AP because I can access all cameras via Internet as well. But I don't know how to ask each camera to stick with only WL-520gu.
I would think that the cameras would only connect to the SSID that you tell them to. Do the cameras have any ability for you to tell them to "forget" or ignore any SSID's.

Yes they can. But I guess I cannot set different SSID because of WPA. I think it is WDS and/or Tomato limitation. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I think I will go back to one wireless card and change my security to WEP. So I can have 2 different SSIDs. This would make my life easier :):):)

Thanks
AW

You're right. The problem is the dynamically assigned/rotating keys used in WPA.

You could go back to WEP, or convert the ASUS to an AP and use powerline to connect the two.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!