What's new

Problem seeing wireless devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Oredigger

New Around Here
Hi all,

First post here. Glad I stumbled upon this site – lots of great information here.

I am having trouble with my wireless devices seeing any other device on the network. Here are the details:
1) Have two wired desktops, two wireless laptops, two iphones (wireless of course) and a wired NAS (Seagate Black Armor 440)
2) Everything worked great with my Qwest supplied 2Wire modem/router – but then it died.
3) Got a Qwest Actiontec PK500 and now:
a. Everything can connect to the internet without problem
b. Wired devices see the NAS just fine
c. Wireless laptops can’t see NAS
d. Iphones are not recognized on network. I have a particular program (ewallet) that used to be able to able to sync wirelessly with the same program on my desktop.

Been trying to find a setting I missed or messed up in the wireless setup in the modem/router. Currently using WEP because that is how the old modem was setup. I am about to the point of buying a DIR-655 and bridging my modem just to see if that solves it.

I would appreciate hearing any ideas you might have. :confused:

Thanks!

I'm assuming you are running Windows laptops.

I suspect that the Windows browse master may have old network information hanging around.

Shut down all laptops. Then turn one on, run a network repair (go to the Local Area Connection Properties for the wireless adapter, Support tap, click the Repair button) and see if you can find the NAS and other devices. Then repeat for each laptop.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the advice and help. I tried what you said and can now see the laptops!

Now it's just the iPhones causing problems.

Thanks again

Delete the previous network from the iPhones and have it discover and add the new one.

thanks for the idea on the iPhone. No luck with deleting and rediscovering the wireless network. It connects to the internet ok but the wired and other wireless devices don't see it. I'll keep experimenting . . .

thanks for the idea on the iPhone. No luck with deleting and rediscovering the wireless network. It connects to the internet ok but the wired and other wireless devices don't see it.
The iPhone won't appear as a networked share to the computers.

For the eWallet sync, again, you probably need to delete the old sync info and redo.

Tim,

I appreciate your willingness to pass along ideas. Tried your latest and that did not work either. I called the eWallet people and they suggested uninstalling the Apple Bonjour software and reinstalling, but no luck there either. I am going to give them a call back now - I'll post here if I get it resolved in case it helps someone else.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!