What's new

Recommend a Wireless Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

netsonic

Occasional Visitor
I have an ASUS WL-500W(Oleg firmware) & a Buffalo WHR-G54S(tomato firmware)

Now I want to buy a new router, and I want the following feature/requiremnt:

1. reliable P2P (emule, bittorrent, etc) capacity
2. The wireless signal can go through two or even three 240mm brick wall
3. can work with my existing router(s) (wireless bridge mode, WDS etc)
4. 802.11n
5. Gigabyte Lan is a plus

any recommendation?

TIA.
________
medical marijuana

Last edited:
ESR-9850 but there is no BT storage unit, just a router with the power to handle them though. There is a 20dBm for wireless ESR-9855G since ESR-9850 is 17dBm for wireless. Should be enough to tear down that 240mm brick wall.

ESR-9850 but there is no BT storage unit, just a router with the power to handle them though. There is a 20dBm for wireless ESR-9855G since ESR-9850 is 17dBm for wireless. Should be enough to tear down that 240mm brick wall.

Thank you for the recommendation, I just need a reliable router that can handle P2P (BT, emule), BT storage is just a plus.

As for brick wall, does ESR-9850's signal go through 3 walls?
Is there any test/article related?
________
CL200

Last edited:

I watched ?ESR-9850 P2P Download Test Videos?? the P2P performance is great.

When you using P2P, can you use other internet application, such as surfing, email without delay?
________
R32
________
medical marijuana

Last edited:
I watched “ESR-9850 P2P Download Test Videos”, the P2P performance is great.

When you using P2P, can you use other internet application, such as surfing, email without delay?

Well yes with P2P I could have 4 to 5 DWL going on plus UL, and more.. Watch IPTV, listen to and watch IPmusic, surf wireless even play games wireless, VPN etc.. I got 24 nodes hooked up. But I use external switches as the router is designed to handle packets the data being sent in bits to and from.

The reason to use the external switch was to balance the load. The router can only handle so many packets, VPN tunnels, BT connections, downloading, uploading. streaming large media files, VOIP, TVOIP, gaming an etc. All router follow under this methodology.

As for brick wall, does ESR-9850's signal go through 3 walls? Is there any test/article related?
Remember! WiFi/Wireless LAN is a two-way data flow. The signal FROM your laptop must be of similar strength to the signal FROM your router, since the brick wall (or whatever) impairs the signal in both directions.

So a supermega power router doesn't solve the two-way challenge.

Remember! WiFi/Wireless LAN is a two-way data flow. The signal FROM your laptop must be of similar strength to the signal FROM your router, since the brick wall (or whatever) impairs the signal in both directions.

So a supermega power router doesn't solve the two-way challenge.

Thank you for the remind. Then what's the solution? buy some powerful wireless adapter?
anything recommended?
________
ps3 jailbroken

Last edited:
Then what's the solution? buy some powerful wireless adapter?
anything recommendation?

He doesn't like the router. No telling him otherwise! I have brick on one side of the house I am in front of old brick fireplace that was built-in the roaring 20's and the signal is RSSi shows -49dBm showing 5/5 bars. I can go on FaceBook and open one of my cafes and have no slowdown or sluggish behavior on 802.11n. Link speed shows 300mbps but you can't go by that though.

Brick or drywall or cast iron steam pipes the signal gets through.

You see the videos on youtube and the reviews on SNB it's up to you what you want? I just recommend the router as I use the router everyday. On my forum http://tipstir.the-talk.net/ the router is reviewed by me. There are shots of the router and etc. For now that's the router I am using. I got it because of the features and P2P sessions was high. Now even higher. Everyone here going to have they're say in this but I know the router works. Well for me that is!

Last edited:
He doesn't like the router. No telling him otherwise! I have brick on one side of the house I am in front of old brick fireplace that was built-in the roaring 20's and the signal is RSSi shows -49dBm showing 5/5 bars. I can go on FaceBook and open one of my cafes and have no slowdown or sluggish behavior on 802.11n. Link speed shows 300mbps but you can't go by that though.

Brick or drywall or cast iron steam pipes the signal gets through.

You see the videos on youtube and the reviews on SNB it's up to you what you want? I just recommend the router as I use the router everyday. On my forum http://tipstir.the-talk.net/ the router is reviewed by me. There are shots of the router and etc. For now that's the router I am using. I got it because of the features and P2P sessions was high. Now even higher. Everyone here going to have they're say in this but I know the router works. Well for me that is!

I'm thinking which one I should get: ESR-9850 or ESR-9855G? The latter is almost twice the price of the former, but 9855G has stronger singal.
________
CRF150

Last edited:
ESR-9850 can't get ip from cable modem

Just get ESR-9850 today, I use Comcast cable internet. The ASUS WL-500W router can get ip from cable modem w/o problem ---WL-500W are set in automatic IP mode for Wan setting, but ESR-9850 can't get ip from the same modem --- ESR-9850 are set in Dynamic ip mode for Wan setting.

any advise?

-- solved, just reboot the modem
________
Cooking Forum

Last edited:
I'm thinking which one I should get: ESR-9850 or ESR-9855G? The latter is almost twice the price of the former, but 9855G has stronger singal.

They both have different hardware and are not the same. True the wireless is TX is 20dBm and the ESR-9850 is TX 17dBm. In mix mode pretty strong. If you got good 802.11b/g/n adapters then you should be okay. The 9855G is a gaming router gig signal band 475MHz WNPU, 64MB of RAM Steam Engine. ESR-9850 business router gig signal band 384MHz WNPU, 32MB of RAM Hardware Network Engine, 17% boost with 19,000 to 50,000 Max Session Connections. Since I own this I can tell you transfer of large MB and GB files to and from systems over network is so quick I can't even show a video of it. The unit doesn't even get warm. I've pushed the router way beyond most users would push it.

You can wait for WiGig 802.11ad 7GBps with 60GHz but the range is short ratio for direct signal. The new Tri-bands are coming later in 2010 more like 2011. But these are more for wireless media networking ins the Tri-band for HD content.

If you need a better router get the WNDR37AV for now.. How power or low power what really matters how good the signal is.. To me $50 bucks is a lot cheaper than $169. But if you're rich then I guess it doesn't matter.

just a little sarcasm to make a point for those that succumb to the "high Power router" pitch

Well at least you have a sense of humor.. :p

Just get ESR-9850 today, I use Comcast cable internet. The ASUS WL-500W router can get ip from cable modem w/o problem ---WL-500W are set in automatic IP mode for Wan setting, but ESR-9850 can't get ip from the same modem --- ESR-9850 are set in Dynamic ip mode for Wan setting.

any advise?

Oh you have this I didn't see this.. Stay with firmware 1.09 don't flash it to 1.10 or 1.1.2. Because the wireless drops by almost 10%. In 1.09 it's stronger signal. The link for 1.09 is on here and on my forum also. That's what I am using for the wireless signal 1.09.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!