What's new

[RECOMMENDATION] Router supporting 2.5+gbps WAN/LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Does Asus Accept Kidney Remuneration for the GT-BE98 PRO?

• Absolutely! I just got mine after donating both!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe, but I'd rather keep my kidneys and save up.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but it would be nice if they did.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I'm pretty sure that's illegal everywhere.

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

axaro1

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone.

I'm upgrading my FTTH from 1gbps to 2.5gbps.

My current router, a Fritzbox 7590AX does not support 2.5gbps WAN/LAN, reason why I'm looking for a new one.

The connection will be [ONT]<--->[Router]<--->[RTL8125G based NIC]

The RTL8125G I currently have is not a stellar product, but I've never pushed it to its limits. I wouldn't mind future-proofing my system with 10gbps LAN ports and get something like a AQC113 based NIC.

This is what I'm mainly looking for in a router:

- 1x 2.5gbps (or higher) WAN
- 1x 2.5gbps (or higher) LAN port
- Solid VOIP implementation
- Open source FW that supports fq_codel or comparable QoS algorithms

The obvious choice here for me appears to be the Asus RT-AX88U Pro, it seems like a good middle ground between specs and value, but I'm open to other recommendations in the same price range.

Last edited:
Why not use 10gig if you are going to change from 1 gig? I don't see 2.5gig as worth the effort and cost.

You did post this in the router forum not the ASUS forum.

This is what I'm mainly looking for in a router:

- 1x 2.5gbps (or higher) WAN
- 1x 2.5gbps (or higher) LAN port
- Solid VOIP implementation
- Open source FW that supports fq_codel or comparable QoS algorithms

The obvious choice here for me appears to be the Asus RT-AX88U Pro, it seems like a good middle ground between specs and value, but I'm open to other recommendations in the same price range.
TUF-AX6000 flashed with openwrt.

If you want cheap 2.5G AP's, use TUF-AX4200 flashed with openwrt.

I know at least one SNB Forums member who replaced Asus RT-AX88U Pro with cheaper and smaller size GL.iNet MT-GL6000. It runs OpenWrt based firmware and is OpenWrt supported.

If you use 2.5 gig then you need to have a Nbased-T card which is more expensive than just a 10gig card. Same with the switch.

You also have the GT-AX6000 and TUF-AX6000 in addition to the ones already mentioned.
If 2.5 Gbps is all that matters, you also have the TP-link Archer BE230 which can be had for under €100/$100.

All modern 10 Gbps cards supports Nbase-T.
No. I bought a real Intel X540-T2 without Nbase-T support. It was cheaper than an Intel X550-T2 which does support Nbase-T. My older Cisco switch does not support Nbase-T.

I do want to buy an Intel X710-T2L when I find one if I need Nbase-T.

No. I bought a real Intel X540-T2 without Nbase-T support. It was cheaper than an Intel X550-T2 which does support Nbase-T. My older Cisco switch does not support Nbase-T.

I do want to buy an Intel X710-T2L when I find one if I need Nbase-T.
Launch Date Q1'12 <- NOT modern. If the PCIe bus isn't PCIe 3.0 x4 or better, it's not a modern 10 Gbps card, as rule of thumb.

Launch Date Q1'12 <- NOT modern. If the PCIe bus isn't PCIe 3.0 x4 or better, it's not a modern 10 Gbps card, as rule of thumb.
Intel X710-DA2. It is PCI 3.0. It supports 10gig and 1 gig no Nbase-T. There are more.

There is a lot of 10gig equipment out there that does not support Nbase-T. I have a Cisco switch which does not have Nbase-T so there is no real reason for me to buy a 10gig NIC with Nbase-T. I am looking for an Intel X710-T2L NIC for Pfsense but I don't have to have it now.

I am mainly using older gen Dells for my Pfsense so the latest and greatest PCI channel is not needed. If I find an Intel X710-T2L then I might try my 14th gen Dell running Pfsense. The memory is very fast.

Last edited:
@Tech9 Not necessarily. I actually started considering diy x86 OpenWRT.

I have a ryzen 5 3600 that I kept as a backup for my 5800x3d (which is using an old B350 board). I also have a 550w PSU laying around so I was considering getting a cheap B550 for my 5800x3d, swapping the 3600 on the B350 and buy a decent 2.5/10gbe NIC to make a (surely overkill) router.

Now that I think about it I might need at least 3x 2.5/10gbe ports since I also want to add an AP.

Now that I think about it I might need at least 3x 2.5/10gbe ports since I also want to add an AP.
There is no reason to have multiple router ports. They are better run out of a switch. You only need 2 ports for a firewall. The only exceptions are Multiple WANs and if you want to run a lag.

Intel X710-DA2. It is PCI 3.0. It supports 10gig and 1 gig no Nbase-T. There are more.

There is a lot of 10gig equipment out there that does not support Nbase-T. I have a Cisco switch which does not have Nbase-T so there is no real reason for me to buy a 10gig NIC with Nbase-T. I am looking for an Intel X710-T2L NIC for Pfsense but I don't have to have it now.

I am mainly using older gen Dells for my Pfsense so the latest and greatest PCI channel is not needed. If I find an Intel X710-T2L then I might try my 14th gen Dell running Pfsense. The memory is very fast.
Sorry, but 1. how is this relevant to the OP's question and 2. why is this relevant when we're talking modern hardware? Don't buy old 2nd hand junk. 3. Do you have a reading comprehension problem or do you not understand what modern means?

I have a ryzen 5 3600 that I kept as a backup for my 5800x3d (which is using an old B350 board). I also have a 550w PSU laying around so I was considering getting a cheap B550 for my 5800x3d, swapping the 3600 on the B350 and buy a decent 2.5/10gbe NIC to make a (surely overkill) router.

Bad idea in terms of how much power it uses just to route some network traffic, but hey, if you have free electricity.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!