What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yeah I completely understand that but my parents aren't so keen of being beta testers. I've reached out to Asus to let them know about the issues. I would advise all on this forum contact Asus support so they see they need to get some work done.

I believe it is Wave 2. I dont know about the other until I get home.

There are settings to enable and disable MU-MIMO (under Wireless > Professional) so this leads me to believe some aspects of Wave 2 are implemented.

But I don't see 160mhz as a channel bandwidth option (under Wireless > General, when you have a 5ghz band selected). The four bandwidth options are "20/40/80", 20, 40, and 80.

I can't test the number of MIMO streams.

Hope this helps.

Is anyone using Sonos or an HP Envy printer with their GT-AC5300?

I'm having problems with both when trying to connect them to the 2.4ghz Wifi.

My Sonos Play:5 (gen 1) devices - I have two of them - appear to connect because I can see them in Network Map when I view clients. Each player is assigned an IP address, but oddly they show a wired interface (when they are wireless).

The Sonos controller (when run from an iPad, iPhone, Android Tablet, or Windows desktop) fails to connect about 50% of the time.

The Sonos problem is intermittent, but I can only get one speaker to connect to the Wifi network at a time. The second speaker will not connect.

The HP Envy 7645 just fails to connect to the wireless network and restarts. It shows a bluescreen with a restart logo with the code B8BA6CC0.

All four devices worked just fine when connected to my older Netgear C6900 Wifi Router/Modem.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen these issues?

I am going to begin the process of connecting with tech support from Asus, HP, and Sonos, but anyone else's experiences would be helpful, as Asus has already responded to my support request saying that since other devices connect to Wifi the problem must be with the devices and I should contact Sonos and HP *sigh*. I resubmitted another request.

It can be painful to be a beta-tester, but this hardware seems amazing and if the firmware comes together this will be an amazing Wifi Router.

When running SONOS speakers it's best to buy the SONOS Boost so the speakers have their own network.

Reactions: eJC
When running SONOS speakers it's best to buy the SONOS Boost so the speakers have their own network.

My Sonos system ran flawlessly on my old Netgear C6900.

I've already created a work around for my HP Envy printer by using USB rather than its WiFi. Why should I spend another $100 USD for a Boost? I have run six Sonos units all on WiFi. And I think the speakers still use their proprietary network to do things like sync playback. So, I'm not enthusiastic about your idea. I guess I could wire them up with ethernet too, but what's the point of a WiFi Router if the WiFi doesn't work with all devices?

My Sonos system ran flawlessly on my old Netgear C6900.

I've already created a work around for my HP Envy printer by using USB rather than its WiFi. Why should I spend another $100 USD for a Boost? I have run six Sonos units all on WiFi. And I think the speakers still use their proprietary network to do things like sync playback. So, I'm not enthusiastic about your idea. I guess I could wire them up with ethernet too, but what's the point of a WiFi Router if the WiFi doesn't work with all devices?

I'm running 6 speakers with a boost and it runs flawlessly. They sync to the boost automatically. I removed the boost and wasn't sure how to connect the speakers to my routers wifi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm running 6 speakers with a boost and it runs flawlessly. They sync to the boost automatically. I removed the boost and wasn't sure how to connect the speakers to my routers wifi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It isn't too hard to hook up the Sonos speakers without a boost. You would disconnect the boost, unplug the speaker. Hold the button to do a hard reset of the speaker and then use a controller (PC, iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Android device) to set up the speaker on a new set up.

Actually most Sonos installs are done without a boost. The boost will help in those circumstances where a speaker is outside of WiFi range as the proprietary Sonos wireless technology has better range.

But all of that is beside the point. The GT-AC5300 doesn't appear to be playing nicely with Sonos speakers or HP Envy printers with its current firmware. And while I'm frustrated by it, I continue to be impressed with the hardware.

Doing a speedtest tonight, even routing 1gb/s of internet traffic only took 1 of the 4 cores to 85%. And that was with all the traffic monitoring and performance counters turned on.

It isn't too hard to hook up the Sonos speakers without a boost. You would disconnect the boost, unplug the speaker. Hold the button to do a hard reset of the speaker and then use a controller (PC, iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Android device) to set up the speaker on a new set up.

Actually most Sonos installs are done without a boost. The boost will help in those circumstances where a speaker is outside of WiFi range as the proprietary Sonos wireless technology has better range.

But all of that is beside the point. The GT-AC5300 doesn't appear to be playing nicely with Sonos speakers or HP Envy printers with its current firmware. And while I'm frustrated by it, I continue to be impressed with the hardware.

Doing a speedtest tonight, even routing 1gb/s of internet traffic only took 1 of the 4 cores to 85%. And that was with all the traffic monitoring and performance counters turned on.
Just read some info on the Sonos site that the Sonos speakers don't play nice with all routers. This could be the router they don't play nice with. I see now there is a standard set up and a boost set up. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I am starting to lose faith in Asus. According to Sonos here is when you should choose Boost over Wifi. I guess my Asus router can't cover 30 ft with one wall in between.

--------------------------------
General Guidelines

Use a Standard Setup if your home has a good WiFi network that reaches all the rooms where you want Sonos.
Use a BOOST Setup if your home WiFi network is slow, unreliable or does not reach all the rooms where you want Sonos.

Does anyone know how to change the IP address used for the Ping graph on the dashboard?

I am starting to lose faith in Asus. According to Sonos here is when you should choose Boost over Wifi. I guess my Asus router can't cover 30 ft with one wall in between.

--------------------------------
General Guidelines

Use a Standard Setup if your home has a good WiFi network that reaches all the rooms where you want Sonos.
Use a BOOST Setup if your home WiFi network is slow, unreliable or does not reach all the rooms where you want Sonos.

I've lost faith with Asus ever since they lie on every box that says MU-MIMO ready. My beast X4S is now back in place with working MU-MIMO.

I've lost faith with Asus ever since they lie on every box that says MU-MIMO ready. My beast X4S is now back in place with working MU-MIMO.

Blame Broadcom, not Asus. They're the one that shipped defective chips to their partners, and only realized months later that they couldn't fix it through software. There's no way Asus could have known ahead of time that BCM would be shipping a broken design.

Pretty sure there are other router manufacturers who ended up in the same boat.

Blame Broadcom, not Asus. They're the one that shipped defective chips to their partners, and only realized months later that they couldn't fix it through software. There's no way Asus could have known ahead of time that BCM would be shipping a broken design.

Which Asus models are you talking about with broken MU-MIMO?

Maybe Asus should do some testing before shipping $300.00 routers and lying on the box and on their website. Ripping the public off with no repercussion. Sad that even Linksys is ahead of them with working MU-MIMO. Guess Asus is no longer the king of routers. Netgear by far has taking the top spot over all companies. Guess I'll find some one to sell my 88U and tell them MU-MIMO works like a charm.

Maybe Asus should do some testing before shipping $300.00 routers and lying on the box and on their website

And how can they test it, if Broadcom tells them "We will provide you with a driver enabling that feature in 6 months"? They can't test a feature that the manufacturer says is "coming with a future SDK update". Hence the "MU-MIMO ready" label, rather than plain "MU-MIMO". And they did specify it was coming with a future firmware upgrade, not out of the box.

Sad that even Linksys is ahead of them with working MU-MIMO.

Asus too has working MU-MIMO. Just like Linksys, you have to pick a model that's not using Broadcom but Qualcomm instead.

And Linksys too has broken MU-MIMO devices. EA9200 is Broadcom-based, and therefore with broken MU-MIMO.

It's not an Asus issue, despite what you might think. Every single manufacturer that came out with a router using the BCM4366 has the same issue.

Last edited:
Which Asus models are you talking about with broken MU-MIMO?

RT-AC88U, RT-AC3100 and RT-AC5300. Newer hardware revisions should have addressed it.

No idea on the RT-AC87U status, no one ever tested their MU-MIMO implementation.

So while I appreciate the new 28nm process, 8 gigabit ports, good routing performance, etc...

It seems that this router's wifi doesn't work all that great. I get random disconnects and have a tough time with a steady connection. Kind of annoying considering the price. Neat SoC, terrible reliability so far.

I'd recommend avoiding this until the platform matures.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!