What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So Asus recommends I try and do a full factory reset... I will do this and report back if that fixed the connection issues (I doubt it will lol)

Also I wonder if there is room to place some aluminum heat sinks in the router , mine is running cool with an coolermaster 17inch laptop cooler but I'm hoping to try and Overclock this beast when someone gets some third party firmware working.

Also I wonder if there is room to place some aluminum heat sinks in the router , mine is running cool with an coolermaster 17inch laptop cooler but I'm hoping to try and Overclock this beast when someone gets some third party firmware working.

What feature do you use that is currently CPU bound?

Any one have any "fixes" for random drop of connection (including Ethernet) and or random reboots? I send Asus a message with my logs for them to look over to see if there is anything they can do

This is all based on GT-AC5300 firmware 3.0.0.4.382_11242:

I was getting crashes of the USBLPD module (module might be incorrect, as I don't have those logs anymore), but I now believe this was caused by an older firmware on an HP Envy printer that was connecting via WiFi. After upgrading the firmware on the printer, I haven't had a crash in the last 24 hours.

I am seeing this on wired:
May 12 23:28:50 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
May 12 23:28:52 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex
May 13 00:00:44 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
May 13 00:00:47 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 10 mbps full duplex
May 13 01:16:53 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
May 13 01:16:55 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex
May 13 01:50:52 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
May 13 01:50:55 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 10 mbps full duplex
May 13 10:08:00 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
May 13 10:08:03 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex

This has happened 9 times in the past 24 hours. That is the primary PC connected to the router. I have some new Cat7 cables coming on Monday and hope it clears up the issue. I haven't noticed any performance issues on the PC, but the fact that it comes back up as 10Mbps is a bit worrisome.

I also think there is some type of uPnP issue based on problems I'm having with Sonos gear. But I have more research to do on that.

Please continue to share your experiences.

I wonder why people obcession with every new router model temperatures... :rolleyes:

BCM SOC TJMAX: 125ºC

Most of the routers usually work at 70-85ºC, which are the normal temperatures, so nothing to be worried about.

Last edited:
What feature do you use that is currently CPU bound?

Noting as of now I will possibly run a VPN or back up external drive on it. I'm really close to just buying another router. I just boosted my internet speeds to 400/40 so and have a large area to cover. I'm a gamer looking to build a rig so I want stable connections.

This is all based on GT-AC5300 firmware 3.0.0.4.382_11242:

I was getting crashes of the USBLPD module (module might be incorrect, as I don't have those logs anymore), but I now believe this was caused by an older firmware on an HP Envy printer that was connecting via WiFi. After upgrading the firmware on the printer, I haven't had a crash in the last 24 hours.

I am seeing this on wired:
May 12 23:28:50 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
May 12 23:28:52 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex
May 13 00:00:44 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
May 13 00:00:47 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 10 mbps full duplex
May 13 01:16:53 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
May 13 01:16:55 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex
May 13 01:50:52 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
May 13 01:50:55 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 10 mbps full duplex
May 13 10:08:00 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
May 13 10:08:03 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex

This has happened 9 times in the past 24 hours. That is the primary PC connected to the router. I have some new Cat7 cables coming on Monday and hope it clears up the issue. I haven't noticed any performance issues on the PC, but the fact that it comes back up as 10Mbps is a bit worrisome.

I also think there is some type of uPnP issue based on problems I'm having with Sonos gear. But I have more research to do on that.

Please continue to share your experiences.
LPD on the USB should be fixed with the update. Id try the new cables comming in since you already ordered. Could be a thing with your current cables.

Edit confused LPD with PCL.

Last edited:
I wonder why people obcession with every new router model temperatures... :rolleyes:

BCM SOC TJMAX: 125ºC

Most of the routers usually work at 70-85ºC, which are the normal temperatures, so nothing to be worried about.
since I opened it for longer key i put mine under water.

You should try LN2 instead, definitely better. :D

A) should't need that cooler in the first place..
B) Why overclock - seems like the Asus folks got this one right from the git-go..

So I agree with @RMerlin, @hggomes - why bother?

Btw, good luck to those users on overclocking any new router model without decrypting the bootloader and bypassing the new FW code.

Last edited:
Shoot!!!!! a major crash due to overheating and modding... Im going have to save up for a new one. Ill be back in 3 months.. Im on a old v522412 but im not liking it.

Router is back up. No-one should overclock this beast. Its a awesome piece of hardware like me. Just keeping it extra cool as like me too.

LPD on the USB should be fixed with the update. Id try the new cables comming in since you already ordered. Could be a thing with your current cables.

Edit confused LPD with PCL.

It turned out to be a problem with the HP printer and not the Asus router. A firmware update to the printer resolved the problem.

I moved my PC off eth2 (the first Ethernet port). I moved it to the third Ethernet port and haven't had a problem. I think port 1/2 get the highest priority routing?

Since I changed ports I haven't seen the problem recur.

Yeah I really have no reason to overclock this beast but was just curious lol. For range and throughput what router do you think will be better in the long run the Gt, netgear 10x or someother router?

Yeah I really have no reason to overclock this beast but was just curious lol. For range and throughput what router do you think will be better in the long run the Gt, netgear 10x or someother router?

I bet all of these high-end routers will perform nearly identical in terms of range, since the limit at this point are the laws of physics and the FCC restrictions, not the router. And don't forget that regardless of which router you have, your clients remain the same, so their own output limitation will always remain.

I bet all of these high-end routers will perform nearly identical in terms of range, since the limit at this point are the laws of physics and the FCC restrictions, not the router. And don't forget that regardless of which router you have, your clients remain the same, so their own output limitation will always remain.

Good point I do like the fact of being able to increase the TX power
On the X10 with 3rd party

In your opinion do you think the "active antennas" on netgear new routers make any difference in range. Basically from what I understand there is an built in amplifier instead of being on the board.

In your opinion do you think the "active antennas" on netgear new routers make any difference in range. Basically from what I understand there is an built in amplifier instead of being on the board.

When you analyze the theory behind them, it should help weak signals get more reliable connections, by reducing the amount of noise introduced into the weak signal between the antenna and the radio, as it gets amplified before being sent "down the wire". In factual testing however, the difference seems to be negligible, or at least hard to measure. Personally, I would consider that as a minor improvement that gets more marketing clout than factual enhancement.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!