What's new

Router bricked

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BeachGuy

Regular Contributor
Upgraded to Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.8 on GT-AX6000. Was working fine, checked several settings. Was going to reset to factory defaults but decided to unplug and plug in again and no response (red ROG light and power light on). Tried method 1 (hold reset while powering on) and method 2 (hold WPS button while powering on) but seems to be bricked. I also tried both with the 30/30/30 method. Also tried rescue media but it doesn't connect. Have NEVER had any problems updating firmware. I also posted under Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.8 (desperate). Any suggestions?

Hard factory reset should work.
Power off
Power on while holding WPS button. Power LED should come on
Keep holding WPS button until power light goes off then turn off power and release WPS button

If you cannot get the Router into Rescue Mode using the methods prescribed for your Router Model - then I doubt anyone here can help you. Best get in touch with the supplier or your local Asus Service Centre.

This link may help you ...
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/gt-ax6000-rescue.88572/

Hard factory reset should work.
Power off
Power on while holding WPS button. Power LED should come on
Keep holding WPS button until power light goes off then turn off power and release WPS button

Tried that. Power light just stays on and never goes off.

If you cannot get the Router into Rescue Mode using the methods prescribed for your Router Model - then I doubt anyone here can help you. Best get in touch with the supplier or your local Asus Service Centre.

This link may help you ...
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/gt-ax6000-rescue.88572/

Yes I'm going to contact ASUS. Tried the suggestions in the link. First part is the same as bbunge suggested (power light just stays lit). Second part doesn't work either as it's not in factory mode (again power light just stays lit).

Yes I'm going to contact ASUS. Tried the suggestions in the link. First part is the same as bbunge suggested (power light just stays lit). Second part doesn't work either as it's not in factory mode (again power light just stays lit).
Pretty much the same as my experience with an RT-AX86U-PRO after it went "wobbly".
Asus couldn't fix either and authorised a full refund which I received.

I think you should contact ASUS because as I know, people usually succeed with one or two of the aforementioned methods. Good luck.

Good thing I had an RT-AX58U in mesh. Moved that over to main and its running 3004.388.8 just fine (knock on wood!). Almost freaked out though. Was configuring it and lights wouldn't come on on reboot. Thought I bricked that one too but turns out the power strip I had it connected to failed. When it rains it pours.

BTW, is there a limit on flashing firmware? Seems like the GT-AX6000 just gave out. Really surprised as it has a good processor and memory. I am thinking about getting the RT-AX88U PRO to replace it if they reimburse me. Any thoughts on that?

BTW, is there a limit on flashing firmware?
Probably somewhere in the tens of thousands of P/E cycles with modern NANDs.

And I most certainly flashed my routers more often than every single one of you on these forums :p

Probably somewhere in the tens of thousands of P/E cycles with modern NANDs.

And I most certainly flashed my routers more often than every single one of you on these forums :p
Asus went with SLC NAND good for a 100k P/E cycles.
1721664396718.png

Asus went with SLC NAND good for a 100k P/E cycles.
Thanks. Last time I checkled was back in the RT-AC68U era, and it was a 10K P/E cycle NAND back then, one that was marketed for use with rotating logging - so pretty good endurance.

And since Asus uses dual images, that means you get twice the number of firmware flashing as they would alternate partitions.