What's new

RT-AC66U Media Bridge issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

andrek787

New Around Here
Hi

I am having an issue getting good bandwidth between two RT-AC66U units in media bridge configuration. I have installed Merlin's 374.32 firmware on both units, one in AP mode and the other in Media bridge mode. At about 10 feet I am only able to get about 125Mbit as measured by LanSpeedTest utility. I have disabled the 2.4Ghz radio on the AP, increased the output to 200mW and tried different control channels but it does not seem to make a difference. From what I have read on the forums about RT-AC66U, the AP + bridge mode should provide more than 300Mbit. Any suggestions?

Hi

I am having an issue getting good bandwidth between two RT-AC66U units in media bridge configuration. I have installed Merlin's 374.32 firmware on both units, one in AP mode and the other in Media bridge mode. At about 10 feet I am only able to get about 125Mbit as measured by LanSpeedTest utility. I have disabled the 2.4Ghz radio on the AP, increased the output to 200mW and tried different control channels but it does not seem to make a difference. From what I have read on the forums about RT-AC66U, the AP + bridge mode should provide more than 300Mbit. Any suggestions?

Are you neglecting to tell us about the part in your other post where you mention a goal of linking two buildings over a distance of 125 ft?

It's gonna be hard to help if you're giving only bits and pieces of info. I don't ask because I have no experience if all in doing this.

Ok, what I am trying to do is link a wired network between two buildings using two rt-ac66u routers one in AP mode one in the media bridge mode. I have installed the ''directional'' dual band antennas from Asus on both routers. They will be mounted on facing windows about 20 feet above the floor. So far I have tested the bridge on the inside of the building with approximately 125 feet and 6 interior walls in between and lanspeedtest showed 100mbit. This an acceptable result but what doesn't make sense is that at distance of only 10-15 feet the result is virtually the same. This obviously something that I wanted to try before several thousand dollars was invested in installing an outdoor point to point link. I thought that maybe there is a setting that prevented it from achieving full 300mbit at short distances.

Are you neglecting to tell us about the part in your other post where you mention a goal of linking two buildings over a distance of 125 ft?

I can't see any reason why we need to know about what his goal is. He asks a specific question about the speed when the the two AC66U are 10 feets apart. It seems like a different question about a valid scenario and should be answered regardless of his final goal.

I can't see any reason why we need to know about what his goal is. He asks a specific question about the speed when the the two AC66U are 10 feets apart. It seems like a different question about a valid scenario and should be answered regardless of his final goal.

Because he originally stated they will be 125' apart in separate buildings, which is really important to know and would prevent him, and us, from spinning wheels walking through steps on a quest to address a bigger question that these two routers cannot answer.

If someone is measuring their throughput in "% gigabit speed" (see earlier post) and not mentioning things like RSSI, etc, it will be an extremely long road of "troubleshooting" to get to the point where he figures out in his own that he's trying to give the answer first, and ask the right questions later.

The hive mind of a forum is a great resource, one that's generally easier, and more productive, to tap into when you share what you're trying to do and not just how you're trying to do it.

Last edited:
Well, I bought lanspeedtest server\client liscence and re-run my test. I am getting 150Mbit read and 165Mbit write over the bridge w/ wired gigabit. Same results for both 10feet and 125feet/6walls. Makes no sense.

Attachments

• bridge.JPG
    bridge.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 503
  • ap.JPG
    ap.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 247
Alright, turns out I had the settings in lanspeedtest wrong. I am getting 950Mbit+ at 10 feet and 825Mbit at 125'/6 walls. Just hope I can keep it stable. Just one question, does enabling QOS drop the throughput? Thanks.

Media Bridge mode is not stable at the moment. It will likely stop routing traffic within 48 hrs and require a reboot.

Alright, turns out I had the settings in lanspeedtest wrong. I am getting 950Mbit+ at 10 feet and 825Mbit at 125'/6 walls. Just hope I can keep it stable. Just one question, does enabling QOS drop the throughput? Thanks.

Well, I bought lanspeedtest server\client liscence and re-run my test. I am getting 150Mbit read and 165Mbit write over the bridge w/ wired gigabit. Same results for both 10feet and 125feet/6walls. Makes no sense.

Not directly related to your issue, but the "undefined" result on the Ethernet port state interests me. You only see that as undefined while in bridge mode I assume?

If so, this is something I will have to look into.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!