What's new

News RT-AC68U End of Life Announced by Asus

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I appreciate there is a limit to what Asus can share without immediately making the vulnerability easily exploited in the wild but the lack of detail gives users of older routers zero idea whether they are affected or not.

That notice doesn't explicitly rule out routers used by many here (me included), instead just being limited to where Asus have done something.

And yes, I know the AC88U is end of life but the vagueness of that notice combined with "turn off lots of the features we advertised to get sales - and some of the basic ones too" isn't a great data point for Asus when considering the replacement.

This is what ASUS writes about it:
ASUS has released a new firmware update for the XT8, XT8_V2, RT-AX88U, RT-AX58U, RT-AX57, RT-AC86U, RT-AC68U

However, the CVE is from June 14 and the latest firmware images for 86U and 68U are much older?

(I only checked those two since some family members have those)

This is what ASUS writes about it:

However, the CVE is from June 14 and the latest firmware images for 86U and 68U are much older?

(I only checked those two since some family members have those)
I missed that the last firmware already covered this CVE-2024-3080. But it was added to the release notes after the original release...

Anyone still looking for a replacement should probably avoid the ones in the 1st section of the doc I found and posted at https://www.snbforums.com/threads/duration-of-security-update-support-only-for-uk-article.90012/.

For those that are still using AC68u's, I can vouch for the TUF-AX4200/TUF-AX6000 as a potential successor with openwrt.

+ Takes less than 5 minutes to convert.
+ openwrt officially is supporting MediaTek's Filogic so support will be for years
+ Range = 1 TUF-AX6000 = 2 AC68u's
+ 2.5GE WAN or 2x 2.5GE WAN/LAN.
+ VLAN support
+ DSA support
+ cheap - $129 on sale right now
+ If you can't handle openwrt, you can go back to Asus firmware (31th December 2026)
+ power consumption is low; AX4200 5W/11W AX6000 7W/14W (idle/peak)

- You need to be comfortable with openwrt and understand semi-advanced networking terms
- You need to stay on top of updates
- not broadcom based, so no merlin firmware ever (unless merlin releases a custom image of openwrt).

For those that are still using AC68u's, I can vouch for the TUF-AX4200/TUF-AX6000 as a potential successor with openwrt.
Those routers are still on firmware 3.0.0.4. I recommend only routers that support 3.0.0.6 firmware such as the RT-AX86U Pro.

Those routers are still on firmware 3.0.0.4. I recommend only routers that support 3.0.0.6 firmware such as the RT-AX86U Pro.
Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 18-24-10 OpenWrt - LuCI.png

Openwrt stable and snapshots both work just fine. No need to play the waiting game for Asus's 3.0.0.6.

RT-AX58U V2 is $139, Asuswrt-Merlin fork available, familiar to RT-AC68U users GUI + AiMesh compatible. Perhaps better choice in budget category.
TUF-AX6000 is $129 and isn't getting EOL'ed in less than 12 months. 28th February 2025

RT-AX58U V2 isn't going EoL in 12 months either. Whoever had an Asus router and liked Asuswrt is unlikely to get a router specifically for OpenWrt. I also have 2x OpenWrt capable devices, but it doesn't make them a good replacement option. One of mine is even cheaper, AX and Qualcomm hardware.

RT-AX58U V2 isn't going EoL in 12 months either.
8 months 7 days until EOL so it's even worse. Good catch.

Whoever had an Asus router and liked Asuswrt is unlikely to get a router specifically for OpenWrt.
People liked the 10+ years of supported hardware, not the GUI. Which specific Asus router will get a similar 10+ years of support today? None. Which Asus routers will come the closest? The models I recommended as you can control the software and go beyond the EOL date. Lots of AC68U users wish they could just install openwrt and continue using them, myself included.

People liked the 10+ years of supported hardware, not the GUI. Which specific Asus router will get a similar 10+ years of support today? None. Which Asus routers will come the closest? The models I recommended as you can control the software and go beyond the EOL date. Lots of AC68U users wish they could just install openwrt and continue using them, myself included.
To a certain degree, that is true with the 10+ years. At the same time, many also like a simple, functional and decently fast GUI. I haven't tried OpenWRT myself, but know a few people who bounced of it.
As for the AC68U and users wanting to keep using it: It supports FreshTomato and unlike OpenWRT, even the WiFi should work. Might be worth a try to continue using it, once Merlin Support ends?

i moved over to openwrt (GL-MT6000) when my ac68u went EOL.

long time linux user so i'm quite familiar with the system.

To a certain degree, that is true with the 10+ years. At the same time, many also like a simple, functional and decently fast GUI. I haven't tried OpenWRT myself, but know a few people who bounced of it.
As for the AC68U and users wanting to keep using it: It supports FreshTomato and unlike OpenWRT, even the WiFi should work. Might be worth a try to continue using it, once Merlin Support ends?
The GUI for openwrt is also simple, functional and fast for average home use. Asus EOL = Merlin EOL = FT EOL.

How have you got on with the Flint 2?

Seems they're still working through the issues they had with 2.4 WiFi - though much improved with the more recent firmware.

Or was it the headaches with the stock firmware that moved you to OpenWRT?

How have you got on with the Flint 2?

Seems they're still working through the issues they had with 2.4 WiFi - though much improved with the more recent firmware.

Or was it the headaches with the stock firmware that moved you to OpenWRT?

It's working very well for me with no issues with the wifi, installed wireguard server, Netlink bandwidth monitor, banip and qosify.

Never tried the stock firmware, first thing i did booting it was install a openwrt snapshot.

TUF-AX6000 is more or less the same thing. Differences being slightly different wifi SoC, two extra antennas, and longer warranty.

You don't need to know anything about linux to setup a router and AP(s) with openwrt as it can all be done with the GUI + youtube video/wiki page. That is 99% of users.

Catching up on a (very) long thread on bug fixes and the ongoing WiFi issues, it was clear there are quite a few ex-Asus customers (more specifically ex-Merlin users) who have tried the Flint 2 as Asus AC routers have gone EOL.

Had a bit of a chuckle at the discussion comparing the TUF AX6000 and using that as a baseline given this post yesterday was the reason I went to look on the GL forum!

Checking specs and prices, I'd go down the Flint 2 route today if OpenWRT was the goal as it's coming in at two thirds the price of the TUF here in the UK.

You have few incorrect assumptions in your suggestion and comments:
- required by regional law minimum duration of support doesn't equal EoL on Asus side
- not everyone reading this forum is in the US and can get the $129 deal on TUF-AX6000
- not everyone is interested in OpenWrt, even though they do have active development
- Asuswrt EoL = Asuswrt-Merlin EoL some time later, but not FT EoL. They still support RT-N(AC)66U as an example plus many more EoL routers

More limitations of the idea:
- many folks reuse old Asus routers as AiMesh nodes, wireless bridges, repeaters or APs, EoL doesn't matter much
- flashing OpenWrt may void the device warranty (and most likely will), flashing Asuswrt-Merlin in most cases won't

And a question:
- How did you find OpenWrt on this device stable so fast? You bought 2x on Tue, got them perhaps Thu/Fri, today is Sat. 🧐

- flashing OpenWrt may void the device warranty (and most likely will), flashing Asuswrt-Merlin in most cases won't
:rolleyes: I'm going to put you on my ignore list.