What's new

RT-AC68U from A2 to E1 - restoring config and trouble

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

plex

Occasional Visitor
Hi

Recently I've got the chance, to "upgrade" my old A2 revision to the newer E1 with higher clock speed. Both routers are on same merlin version, so I just made a backup of config, and restored on new router.

So far no problem, however today the GUI didn't respond. After a power cycle GUI was back, and then I decided the view the traffic monitor. Only realtime is working - all others are blank.

Could it be related to my fast swap, doing a config restore from another unit?

It's a very bad idea to load the config from one router to another even if they are exactly the same model. The config contains hardware specific settings like MAC addresses, CPU/RAM speeds, wireless chipset values, etc.

Given that the A2 and E1 models don't even have the same processor I'm surprised it works at all.

It's a very bad idea to load the config from one router to another even if they are exactly the same model. The config contains hardware specific settings like MAC addresses, CPU/RAM speeds, wireless chipset values, etc.

Given that the A2 and E1 models don't even have the same processor I'm surprised it works at all.

Hi

Thanks for clearing this out - I should have told myself, that it wouldn't be a good idea.

After starting from scratch GUI is much faster, and the traffic monitor is back :)

Thanks for help