What's new

RT-AC86U HW acceleration setting ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Netbug

Regular Contributor
Hi,

Finished setting up my new RT-AC86U today, flashed with latest merlin beta. In Tools > Sysinfo i see.

HW acceleration Runner: Disabled - Flow Cache: Enabled

What does 'Runner' mean? does it mean HW acceleration is disabled? also cannot see the setting in LAN > Switch Control.

Thank you.

Runner is the successor to Flow Accelerator. It's a second level of hardware acceleration that is incompatible with a lot of router features.

The most important one is Flow Cache, which replaces the old CTF.

Asus hasn't made either of them user-configurable yet.

Thank you merlin for replying.

Are these settings configurable yet? I just noticed Flow Cache and Runner are disabled, but I have AI Protection and QoS enabled.

i dont see an on/off, just an indication they are off

Possibly optioned out because of qos and ai?

Last edited:
I`m using an AC86U and both of these options are enable for me.
I`m not sure these are related but, under LAN > Switch Control I have enabled Jumbo Frames. My PC`s ethernet adapter has Jumbo Frames enabled as well.

I have never messed with Jumbo Frames, but I see it there. Don't know what it's for, will google it and maybe try. I have AI Protect and QoS enabled and from what I've read one or both of those disable the acceleration options.

Wonder what the performance hit is with all the HW Accel off?

I have never messed with Jumbo Frames, but I see it there. Don't know what it's for, will google it and maybe try. I have AI Protect and QoS enabled and from what I've read one or both of those disable the acceleration options.

I don’t think you will get much wireless performance (and via Ethernet too) from enabling jumbo frames.

Jumbo frames & wireless performance
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...rums.com/index.php?posts/112068/&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I definitely won't bother with it.

Hi all,
i am a little confused about this topic.
For my RT-AC-86U, both settings are disabled
Runner: Disabled - Flow Cache: Disabled

Using cake qos and aiprotection.

What are the benefits of both settings beeing disabled?
Should I enable at least one of them via ssh?

Or will I get problems, when I enable them?
As fsr as Inread, I should enable the flow Cache for speed reasons?

Thanks a lot for your support.

If your ISP speeds are below ~300 Mbps, then this is a non-issue for you.

If you have greater than ~300 Mbps speeds, then you need to decide which features are actually necessary in your environment.

You don't have a choice of enabled or disabled (via ssh or otherwise) if you want those features you currently have installed.

Thanks a lot for all your support. I have only 50mbit isp Connection, but the wifi and lan transfer seem to be limited with my setup.
I turned off jumbo frames and spanning tree protocoll (because I have a simple lan with only one switch) and switched to adaptive qos . Now both settings are enabled automatically . I will test, if there is an effect on the lan speed.
During my work with the settings I ve tried to enable the Parental Controls - Web & Apps Filters. The button does not have an effect. It is turned to on but no changes on the Interface occurred (even no popup applying settings). If you reload the page it is off again. Reboot doesn't help. Anything that I forgot or could that be a bug in the current 386.9 er firmware?
Thanks a lot for your support. I really appreciate it.