What's new

RT-AX88U Pro v.s. RT-AX86U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am lucky to be in the position to either purchase the 88u pro for $325 + tax or the 86u pro for $242 + tax. The price is a no brainer but is it worth it at the end of the day for being future proof? Thanks for thoughts

Yes I value both L&LD comments as well as BBunge. Decisions decisions

Of course that doesn't mean I don't take into account others input as well 😀

is it worth it at the end of the day for being future proof?

There is no futureproofing with home routers. If you won't use the 2x 2.5GbE ports you'll just pay more for no reason.

With your existing RT-AX86U the new router will give you no measurable improvements. All the same after $300+ expense.

For only an additional $83 (plus tax), not even worth worrying about. Even if you don't use the extra port, it will be worth more in that future timeframe when you want to upgrade (and may have a chance to sell it).

For what it's worth, more issues seem to be reported with the older RT-AX86U Pro than the better-balanced RT-AX88U Pro.

Futureproofing isn't the right term here. If, within your ownership timeframe, you need an extra 2.5GbE port, you've shot yourself in the foot for at least $325 plus Tax, along with having a router nobody will want either. Today's prices won't be seen again anytime soon.

Jump, when the opportunity presents itself (that is 'now').

There is no futureproofing with home routers. If you won't use the 2x 2.5GbE ports you'll just pay more for no reason.

With your existing RT-AX86U the new router will give you no measurable improvements. All the same after $300+ expense.
Yup I have an ax86u and an ax 86s and an old (might fail in future) ac86u which this newer router will replace. I don't use 2.5 as it stands with my ISP 500gb speed currently

For only an additional $83 (plus tax), not even worth worrying about. Even if you don't use the extra port, it will be worth more in that future timeframe when you want to upgrade.

For what it's worth, more issues seem to be reported with the older RT-AX86U Pro than the better-balanced RT-AX88U Pro.

Futureproofing isn't the right term here. If, within your ownership timeframe, you need an extra 2.5GbE port, you've shot yourself in the foot for at least $325 plus Tax, along with having a router nobody will want either. Today's prices won't be seen again anytime soon.

Jump, when the opportunity presents itself (that is 'now').
I like your thinking and wasn't aware of the 86pro challenges. I am but a few clicks away from deciding. Not bad for a sunday

To my ignorance and embarrassment I don't even know what I would really use those ports for. :/

I've edited the post you've quoted, for clarity/completeness. :)

I would have the new router as my main for the aimesh which is currently the ax86u over the ax 86s. Don't ask me why but I thought it would be the right way. The 86u has me using the 1gb port and not the 2.5 , this is correct and best yes?

Yes, you'd want the newest/most powerful router as the main router.

As for which port to use, it depends! Only testing will satisfy that curiosity with your ISP speeds. :)

Yes, you'd want the newest/most powerful router as the main router.

As for which port to use, it depends! Only testing will satisfy that curiosity with your ISP speeds. :)
Don't have an issue with speeds constant 560 for now :) as I don't need anything like 1gb.

Speeds are not the main criteria for me.

Stability, dependability, longevity, and security are.

That is why the better router should be the main.

Speeds are not the main criteria for me.

Stability, dependability, longevity, and security are.

That is why the better router should be the main.
Both 86u and 86s have proved great for me and obviously the ac86u is a known issue and I had another one previous that died and the current one is glitches at times.

If you have AX86U and AX86S and you need one more - get one new AX86U Pro and you have 3x identically looking devices. I would also take a look at Marketplace. There is one AX86U for CAD180 around my place. They are pretty reliable and safe purchase used. The final result will be exactly the same for less. This way all your routers will be running the same firmware and will be updated at the same time and you get AiMesh with units with the same radios. Again - your money, your choice.

If you have AX86U and AX86S and you need one more - get one new AX86U Pro and you have 3x identically looking devices. I would also take a look at Marketplace. There is one AX86U for CAD180 around my place. They are pretty reliable and safe purchase used. The final result will be exactly the same for less. This way all your routers will be running the same firmware and will be updated at the same time and you get AiMesh with units with the same radios. Again - your money, your choice.
Good points mate

In my experience AiMesh works best wired, with the same routers on the same firmware and with stock Asuswrt. I would prefer one more RT-AX86U/S instead to match the rest. Not only because it can be found cheaper. This model will be supported for quite some time and safe to purchase now. Current 388 firmware is stable enough.

Hi, I have wired for sure and I understand completely the rationale for similar units with same firmware. If and only if I had someone else's cash, would you go 88u pro or stay the same 86u pro?

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!