What's new

RT-AX88U Pro v.s. RT-AX86U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I had someone else's cash, would you go 88u pro or stay the same 86u pro?

Neither. If wires are available I would go business class APs. I'm all Cisco and Ruckus on 3x networks. I also have one AIO router in use and it's Synology. Not replacing it for any Asus router due to much better software and Qualcomm based hardware vs Broadcom in Asus. Instead of digging yourself deeper into AiMesh with AIO consumer routers with unused functions ("node" - access point or repeater) you can explore other options when upgrading your network. You may learn something new along the way.

Keen to learn mate for sure. Business class sounds expensive though? I mean for me it's bridged modem for tv and internet and multiple devices. Home boy really

Most of your devices are 2-stream clients. Business APs in class AX1800 start from $100. You are talking about adding more routers >$200 each. Look around SNB Forums and you'll see folks using Asus routers for familiar user-friendly GUI and UniFi, Omada, Zyxel, Cisco, etc. APs or better "mesh" systems like Amazon eero and Google Nest for Wi-Fi. When you add PoE switch or network controller the price may go higher, but you know you have Wi-Fi. Do it once right and forget about it.

Oh, you mean something like this?

Amazon eero 6+ mesh Wi-Fi system | Fast and reliable gigabit speeds | connect 75+ devices | Coverage up to 4,500 sq. ft. | 3-pack, 2022 release. $420 PLUS TAX and all replacing my asus? I need to check if asus do something like this​

Now you got me thinking how many hours is it going to take settling this up with all my devices #fastbreathinginabag

Not exactly like this, but I've seen this with Asus as router - @Smokey613. Also inviting here @Viktor Jaep - Nest Wifi with Asus router. I've seen folks with Omada Wi-Fi and Zyxel APs as well. @tgl moved to UniFi completely. There are good reasons to drop AiMesh. Very limited control and with a mix of different routers you only hope it works well. Explore around and you'll find some different ideas. What AiMesh does very well is selling more Asus routers.

Not exactly like this, but I've seen this with Asus as router - @Smokey613. Also inviting here @Viktor Jaep - Nest Wifi with Asus router. I've seen folks with Omada Wi-Fi and Zyxel APs as well. @tgl moved to UniFi completely. There are good reasons to drop AiMesh. Very limited control and with a mix of different routers you only hope it works well. Explore around and you'll find some different ideas. What AiMesh does very well is selling more Asus routers.
So when you say nest with asus router do you mean asus as main router and then linking nest?

@keefrto ... huge fan of my setup... GT-AX6000 as my main border router (running all the goodies, like Skynet, Diversion, Unbound, VPN, etc.) with a Google Nest Wifi Pro + 3 mesh nodes distributed through the house connected to it. It's set and forget, and just works. Great integration with smarthome devices, Google Home app, etc... allows the family to control their own devices.
Now you got me thinking how many hours is it going to take settling this up with all my devices #fastbreathinginabag
If you take your current SSID and make it the same onto your new Eero/Google Nest SSID name, then all your devices will just follow along. Practically doesn't take any work at all.

If you have any questions on how I've set things up, feel free to DM or reply below! :)

@keefrto ... huge fan of my setup... GT-AX6000 as my main border router (running all the goodies, like Skynet, Diversion, Unbound, VPN, etc.) with a Google Nest Wifi Pro + 3 mesh nodes distributed through the house connected to it. It's set and forget, and just works. Great integration with smarthome devices, Google Home app, etc... allows the family to control their own devices.

If you take your current SSID and make it the same onto your new Eero/Google Nest SSID name, then all your devices will just follow along. Practically doesn't take any work at all.

If you have any questions on how I've set things up, feel free to DM or reply below! :)
I will take you up on your kind offer mate and be in touch soon. I will take a look at this devices you mention including the costs and then get in touch. Canada prices btw suck!!

Btw every fibre in my body is anti google due to all the tracking they do. (I use duckduckgo and it blocks them accessing everything) so going to their units makes me cringe somewhat

Don't worry about it. Your Microsoft (Windows), Apple and Google (Android) devices take care about the tracking regardless of your Wi-Fi. Your Asus router sends your browsing history to Trend Micro. Your mobile operators know your exact location and your movements. Your IoT devices report your daily activities to China.

Don't worry about it. Your Microsoft (Windows), Apple and Google (Android) devices take care about the tracking regardless of your Wi-Fi. Your Asus router sends your browsing history to Trend Micro. Your mobile operators know your exact location and your movements. Your IoT devices report your daily activities to China.
Oh come on dont crush me! IoT yes I think they do, my searches on my android phone through DDG should not be detected?? Microsoft , don't use it. Location I can stop using so no tracking right?

And when you find what you are looking for in DDG do you open the website? It has an IP address and even if you encrypt your DNS queries your ISP knows what are you doing. Do you use Chrome by chance? It knows too. Your mobile phone is trackable always - you connect to specific cell towers. Triangulation is pretty accurate even with GPS services disabled. Why you just don't live your life and stop worrying about things you can't really control much? If you are online or use 3rd party services there is no privacy. You have agreed to this already in 10+ places.

When you registered here, for example:

"All content you submit, upload, or otherwise make available to the Service ("Content") may be reviewed by staff members. All Content you submit or upload may be sent to third-party verification services (including, but not limited to, spam prevention services). Do not submit any Content that you consider to be private or confidential."

And when you find what you are looking for in DDG do you open the website? It has an IP address and even if you encrypt your DNS queries your ISP knows what are you doing. Do you use Chrome by chance? It knows too. Your mobile phone is trackable always - you connect to specific cell towers. Triangulation is pretty accurate even with GPS services disabled. Why you just don't live your life and stop worrying about things you can't really control much? If you are online or use 3rd party services there is no privacy. You have agreed to this already in 10+ places.

When you registered here, for example:

"All content you submit, upload, or otherwise make available to the Service ("Content") may be reviewed by staff members. All Content you submit or upload may be sent to third-party verification services (including, but not limited to, spam prevention services). Do not submit any Content that you consider to be private or confidential."

#naive. I thought I was reasonably savvy compared to the ordinary Joe/Josephine but you make a good case for me still behind somewhat. Typing on my Chromebook right now actually. I do not use a VPN anymore as I checked this on the forums in the past although I do use Protonrive instead of Google Drive so might need to keep that subscription cos I cannot be a@#ed to transfer again. Yes, the cell towers track my location, check. It's been an education today for sure. I started just hoping for some guidance on getting a new Asus router and yet here we are 😮😮. I do have ProtonVPN and NordVPN.

btw what is skynet, diversion and unbound?

They perhaps have much better life than you because they don't worry about the things they don't know.

Asuswrt-Merlin related stuff. Skynet is an IP-blocker script, Diversion is a DNS-blocker script. Unbound is a DNS server.
perhaps perhaps perhaps :)

perhaps perhaps perhaps

Listen, I don't even know what this guy @Viktor Jaep is. I have some suspicions it's a ChatGPT bot. Stops here from time to time and drops some code no one understands. Look at the signature how many MONs it generated. Does it look like a normal human behavior to you? I've tried sending a private message once and it returned some machine code. I had to search @Tech9 code to read it and strangely my frontal camera lost image momentarily in the process. Don't trust anything online.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!