What's new

RT-N66U: Settings Advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

noladad

Occasional Visitor
Thanks for the help so far! I got the router set up with no problem, and have much wider coverage throughout my home. However, I have no idea what the appropriate settings are. I searched but could not find a thread in the forums that guides a newbie through a starter set of appropriate settings and explanations.

I changed the admin password. Is there a way to change the router login name from admin to something else? Should I do this?

I used inSSIDer to look at my neighbors' networks, and changed from auto detect channel on 2.4GHz to channel 1. Is there a channel that is best, or is that entirely dependent on local environment? I was unable to change the channel for 5.0GHz. Is it possible to do this or even necessary?

Do I want to enable DoS protection?

Should I change the IP address or leave it at the default?

Are there any other settings I should change from the default config?

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark,

Below my two cents in line with your questions.

However, I have no idea what the appropriate settings are. I searched but could not find a thread in the forums that guides a newbie through a starter set of appropriate settings and explanations.

Are there any other settings I should change from the default config?
Following the forum since I got my Asus router, I got the impression that the general rule is to leave things "default", as long as you not need to change it.

I changed the admin password. Is there a way to change the router login name from admin to something else? Should I do this?
You should change the Admininstrator login name if you allow admin access from the internet. It's more secure if the default username is changed.

I used inSSIDer to look at my neighbors' networks, and changed from auto detect channel on 2.4GHz to channel 1. Is there a channel that is best, or is that entirely dependent on local environment? I was unable to change the channel for 5.0GHz. Is it possible to do this or even necessary?
The best channel for 2.4 GHz network is the least busy (and do not use 40 MHz bandwith in busy environments). So it's fully dependent on your situation.
The 5 GHz nework is less important, as it's typically not used by many other networks around your place. Changing the channel is done at the same place as for the 2.4 GHz - just need to change the Frequency to 5 GHz first... :rolleyes:

Do I want to enable DoS protection?
Yes, you want! ;) It does no harm but helps if case your are a victim of a Denial-of-Service attack.

Should I change the IP address or leave it at the default?
Only if you have a particulare need to go to another IP range then the default.
But then keep in mind to use a IP address range, which is reserved for private networks - see WIKI page for details - otherwise you might get in conflict with NATing and routing.

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Joe - I cannot seem to change the admin login name, only the password. I type something over the word admin, but nothing happens when I hit Apply. Thoughts?

Also, how do I ensure I am logged out? I clicked logout, but when I go back to 192.168.1.1 I it looks like I am still logged in.

Last edited:
Joe is incorrect about the DoS protection.

Enabling it increases the load on the router and can decrease performance.

I have never found a reason to enable it.

Thanks. Any instructions on how to change username from admin? Also how do I ensure I am logged out?

Any instructions on how to change username from admin? Also how do I ensure I am logged out?
Hi,

Changing the default admin user name is working for me like a charm (with the current Merlin firmware) - maybe you should also give a password when changing the name... :rolleyes:

The logout problem is known: It does not really log you out. Only after a (long) timeout you will be asked for a new login.
Looks like Asus would need to do something there... :confused:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

I have a quick newb question about settings as well. There is a ton of wireless routers all around me and according to inssider, there's no one using the 5ghz channel! Does this mean I can get less interference?

I have a quick newb question about settings as well. There is a ton of wireless routers all around me and according to inssider, there's no one using the 5ghz channel! Does this mean I can get less interference?

My understanding is 5GHz will likely be less populated, but the range will not extend very far. My Macbook Air picks up 5 GHz up to about 25 feet away before switching over to 2.4 GHz.