What's new

setting up wifi network for a church

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The OP still hasnt responded to any of the posts. The main question is, is the church state funded or run on donations? Its the deciding factor between putting together a monster look AP thats a big mess to something as neat and tidy like the AC5300 (in terms of looks not the actual products).

UTMs are important but it is cheaper and better to implement a UTM via a general linux OS (like ubuntu server, opensuse, etc) than it is to purchase a turn-key UTM device. Because regardless a professional is going to be needed, might as well make the most use out of one.

I would suggest against using ubiquiti for this project, we're talking about indoor wifi and ubiquiti arent known for handling many clients. They dont have a load balancer either.

I would suggest against using ubiquiti for this project, we're talking about indoor wifi and ubiquiti arent known for handling many clients. They dont have a load balancer either.

Where did you hear that baloney?
They're hard coded max 127 clients per wireless channel. If a dual band AC Unifi..that's 254.
I've seen 50+ and still going strong.

And they DO have a load balancer in the controller.
Screen%20Shot%202013-10-24%20at%2022.53.22.png

BUT...as with any_other_brand wireless AP (including Meraki, Ruckus, <insert whatever brand you want>...the general max clients per AP you should design a network with is ~40 users per AP. Some highly experienced WLAN designers will go to 50, others prefer to stay lower..to 30, even 25 per AP. And this is with other well known, high end brands of AP and hardware WLAN controllers (like HP ProCurves).

Of course the real issue here is bandwidth, not the AP. And..additionally, as I mentioned before, speed of DNS requests being served. You can have the fastest, multiple hundred dollar APs in the world on the network, tons of them, setup well, low TX power, high density, but if the network infrastructure going up to and including the edge device cannot handle all those multiple sessions, and the internet pipe itself...well...doesn't matter what APs you have.

While I'm a fan of open source for a UTM (so long as you pick a decent one)....in the best interest of the client a tech should think about future support also, and ease of getting support. Suppose the tech gets hit by a bus, who will take over supporting that? Once you provide IT services for the public...ongoing support if you get hit by a bus should be a primary concern.

Last edited: