What's new

setting up wireless ad-hoc network w/ Teradek

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

go64

New Around Here
new member here:

i need to set up a one day event with Teradek Cube units: http://www.teradek.com/pages/cube

there will be 2x units with cameras(clients).
as some of you may know, the built-in radios have a range of 300'.
we, of course, need to go further, about 600 yards. the good thing here is that we'll have line of sight on the roving/roaming units.

so i'm thinking we'll have to bypass the Teradek radios and take the ethernet out to something like an Ubiquiti Bullet with an omni Antenna. the camera can output 7.5v to 14.4v DC from it's battery, can you power a good radio/antenna for this situation with that much DC voltage? is there a better radio for something that is constantly moving?

at the base station, i'm looking for a system that is powerful enough with enough span and direction to point in the general area of 600 yards and be able to make the hand-shake with the client/camera end. at this end we'll have AC power. the base station is the only fixed position. the 2x camera/clients will be constantly on the move, but always be in line of sight with base-station antennas. think of the area to cover as 200 yards by 600 yards. in a sense, we want to draw an imaginary line down the middle and one camera will cover one half, while the the camera/client will cover the other 100 yard by 600 yard area.

at this point, there is only AC power at the base station, so i'm not sure if we can power access points further down the line.

many THANKS in advance

new member here:

i need to set up a one day event with Teradek Cube units: http://www.teradek.com/pages/cube

there will be 2x units with cameras(clients).
as some of you may know, the built-in radios have a range of 300'.
we, of course, need to go further, about 600 yards. the good thing here is that we'll have line of sight on the roving/roaming units.

so i'm thinking we'll have to bypass the Teradek radios and take the ethernet out to something like an Ubiquiti Bullet with an omni Antenna. the camera can output 7.5v to 14.4v DC from it's battery, can you power a good radio/antenna for this situation with that much DC voltage? is there a better radio for something that is constantly moving?

at the base station, i'm looking for a system that is powerful enough with enough span and direction to point in the general area of 600 yards and be able to make the hand-shake with the client/camera end. at this end we'll have AC power. the base station is the only fixed position. the 2x camera/clients will be constantly on the move, but always be in line of sight with base-station antennas. think of the area to cover as 200 yards by 600 yards. in a sense, we want to draw an imaginary line down the middle and one camera will cover one half, while the the camera/client will cover the other 100 yard by 600 yard area.

at this point, there is only AC power at the base station, so i'm not sure if we can power access points further down the line.

many THANKS in advance
Bridges...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...68103&ef_id=UQNl9AAADDSsxuj6:20140304021338:s

You should not need to use Ad-hoc mode. The devices above can be an access point.

thanks Steve,

i just talked to Engenius tech support a moment ago and they also recommend the ENH200 along with the ENH202.

something that was discussed was that their product required POE from their EPE-24R.

because the client/camera end will be roving/roaming around, i will not have AC power to get their POE injector working. the unit itself requires 24v. i can take 7.5-14.4 DC aux. power from the camera battery. is there a way to transform the power on a mobile unit such as a hand-held camera or is there another way this is being done to get 24v to the Engenius product?

Hmm. Do I have this right:
Handheld IP camera.
WIreless WiFi bridge from camera some x hundred ft. to access point/bridge onward to LAN/WAN.

Power for the at-camera WiFi. The Engenious PoE like many, is not true PoE per IEEE standards, it's a power inserter for whatever voltage they want. Some products actually run on 5 or 12V derived from what comes down the cat5.

If bridge is collocated with camera at person, is a power over cat5 really needed?

i was thinking ad-hoc because i was visualizing discreet transmissions from the camera/client end to the receiver/base-staion end. 2x ad-hoc networks, 1 per each camera stream.

because the Engenius specs call for 24v POE and Ubiquiti Bullets are fine w/12v according to various threads, i'm think about having them at least with the cameras powered by DC batteries and can go either with 2x more additional Bullets at the base-station or go with Rockets to stay in the Ubiquiti family(fixed location). was originally thinking about 2.4ghz, but a few sources say that 5ghz to cover 1800' line of sight is no problem. my concern is that the cameras/clients are moving though.

If bridge is collocated with camera at person, is a power over cat5 really needed?

i'm not sure how to interpret that question, but these hand-held cameras are self-contained wireless units with no access to AC power, so my only choice on powering the radios is through an injector sourced from a DC battery. there is no POE coming from the Teradek units.

any other thoughts on the overall set-up, antenna recommendations, bridging a must?

THANKS AGAIN

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!